IST: Cubs @ Cardinals

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What does winning a series mean? It's stroke play, not match play. You make the playoffs based on games won, not series won. The result of the first two games means absolutely nothing.

It was critical because it is against a division foe, so it counts twice, in effect. Instead of 5.5 behind, the Cards are 3.5 behind. We could have put them well behind, but didn't.

June games count as much in the standings at season's end as all others.

In a long 162 season the goal is never about winning individual games, it’s about stringing together wins and winning series. Barring injury there is very little doubt that this team wins the division which pretty much makes an individual game after already winning the series, while not meaningless, certainly not “critical”.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
In a long 162 season the goal is never about winning individual games, it’s about stringing together wins and winning series. Barring injury there is very little doubt that this team wins the division which pretty much makes an individual game after already winning the series, while not meaningless, certainly not “critical”.
I agree it wasnt "critical"
Just very frustrating to let a winnable game where they had mountain of opportunities to score slip away and lose out on a chance to move into first.
Plus
Now after losing that one they have to face a hot dodgers team with Chatwood starting it off

Gotta get through these 3 in good shape and then take advantage this weekend with 4 against the reds while the Brewers and Cardinals battle for 4, pick up games on one or both

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I have no problem with Q swinging away. The first and third basemen were 25 feet away. But he can't make contact or bunt.
That the thing, he cant make contact and if he did it probably going to a groundball for a DP..

At lesst if he able to make contact on a bunt he moves up the runners...
Almora and Russell were on base so it could of been tough to force them out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What does winning a series mean? It's stroke play, not match play. You make the playoffs based on games won, not series won. The result of the first two games means absolutely nothing.

It was critical because it is against a division foe, so it counts twice, in effect. Instead of 5.5 behind, the Cards are 3.5 behind. We could have put them well behind, but didn't.

Bull. If everything was the same and it was Sept...you have a point...in June you have no point.

The only reason you deem it "critical" is your obsession with the Cardinals or their fans.

And for those of you questioning an in game managerial move when his team does not score.....No move, right or wrong would change anything. Try looking at the players who from top to bottom could not recognize a hittable pitch from a ball in the dirt.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

No, I am sure we all get it, just seems aggravating that the cubs just take their foot off the gas once the series has been won.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bull. If everything was the same and it was Sept...you have a point...in June you have no point.

The only reason you deem it "critical" is your obsession with the Cardinals or their fans.

And for those of you questioning an in game managerial move when his team does not score.....No move, right or wrong would change anything. Try looking at the players who from top to bottom could not recognize a hittable pitch from a ball in the dirt.

I don’t mean the game was an elimination game and was do or die.

I mean division games have double the impact in the standings.

That’s not an obsession it is because we have two division foes that matter.

I think we were far better last year than the cards, but if we split the season series with them they would have been right on our tail at year end. Same with Milwaukee. If you somehow think head to head against division teams are not important, or that it only means something in September there is no reasoning with you.

Btw, the in game decision in a game where we didn’t score came when the opponent hadn’t either.