You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Be nice if Morrow started getting outs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You can't allow that little puke to reach base. Hitting .184.

OK, Morrow, just get a ground ball here.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This fucking puke will tie the game now.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I love seeing Carpenter bat so poorly, but I worry more about him late than I do about Tommy Pham.

Morrow got both, so all is right with the baseball world.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Heyward's closing in on 100 PAs since he returned from the concussion. In that time he's had 91 PAs, hit .318/.352/.506 with 5.5%/8.8% bb/k rate, .188 ISO, .329 BABIP, and a 130 wRC+. If I wanted to nitpick slightly that 5.5% walk rate isn't great but I'm wondering if pitchers just aren't pitching around him enough to draw walks thinking he's the guy he was the past 2 years rather than the hitter he's been lately. That 8.8% k rate is stupid good. His in season numbers are a bit higher there at 11.3% and he doesn't have enough PAs to qualify for fangraphs leader boards but if he did he'd be 9th in the majors at 11.3%. If we instead use the 8.8% he's been at since mid may that would be 4th. I don't think Andrelton Simmons's 4% k rate is sustainable but he's #1. Ian Kinsler is #2 at 8.4%. Michael Brantley is #3 at 8.5%. Last season Joe Panik lead the majors at 9.4%. It's also worth noting those numbers aren't fueled by a crazy BABIP. His highest season was .335 BABIP. He's more a career .300 guy but when he was hitting well he was fairly regularly over .300.

Looking at his batted ball data, without diving too deep into the numbers he's basically cut out infield fly balls while keeping a higher rate of fly balls. That's a very good sign. I'm not entirely sure what to make of his HR/FB rate. When he was a "good" hitter prior to the past 2 years it was regularly in the 12-16% rate. It's at 6.9% in this recent stretch and slightly lower on the season. I suppose you could argue he's sacrificing power for contact but I'm not entirely sure that's the case either given his .188 ISO would be one of the higher rates of his career. Also, his hard hit rate is among the 4 best seasons he's had and his soft contact rate over this recent stretch is second only to his rookie season by .2%.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Heyward's closing in on 100 PAs since he returned from the concussion. In that time he's had 91 PAs, hit .318/.352/.506 with 5.5%/8.8% bb/k rate, .188 ISO, .329 BABIP, and a 130 wRC+. If I wanted to nitpick slightly that 5.5% walk rate isn't great but I'm wondering if pitchers just aren't pitching around him enough to draw walks thinking he's the guy he was the past 2 years rather than the hitter he's been lately. That 8.8% k rate is stupid good. His in season numbers are a bit higher there at 11.3% and he doesn't have enough PAs to qualify for fangraphs leader boards but if he did he'd be 9th in the majors at 11.3%. If we instead use the 8.8% he's been at since mid may that would be 4th. I don't think Andrelton Simmons's 4% k rate is sustainable but he's #1. Ian Kinsler is #2 at 8.4%. Michael Brantley is #3 at 8.5%. Last season Joe Panik lead the majors at 9.4%. It's also worth noting those numbers aren't fueled by a crazy BABIP. His highest season was .335 BABIP. He's more a career .300 guy but when he was hitting well he was fairly regularly over .300.

Looking at his batted ball data, without diving too deep into the numbers he's basically cut out infield fly balls while keeping a higher rate of fly balls. That's a very good sign. I'm not entirely sure what to make of his HR/FB rate. When he was a "good" hitter prior to the past 2 years it was regularly in the 12-16% rate. It's at 6.9% in this recent stretch and slightly lower on the season. I suppose you could argue he's sacrificing power for contact but I'm not entirely sure that's the case either given his .188 ISO would be one of the higher rates of his career. Also, his hard hit rate is among the 4 best seasons he's had and his soft contact rate over this recent stretch is second only to his rookie season by .2%.

Pretty sure this a whole new dimension after working with Davis. He seems to change his style after working with a new hitting coach. Malee’s style didn’t work for him. This one did

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

heating up for the opt out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It took him 3 years but he said he finally found his hands...

He said he was just using his body to hit..

That great and all but 3 years to figure out to use your wrist/hands in your swing..

Correct me if im wrong but isnt using your wrist something that been known since forever...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It took him 3 years but he said he finally found his hands...

He said he was just using his body to hit..

That great and all but 3 years to figure out to use your wrist/hands in your swing..

Correct me if im wrong but isnt using your wrist something that been known since forever...

Saw brett from bleachnation mention that in 2016 he had a wrist injury early in the season. It's entirely plausible to me that it screwed him up for the season. He has always had a complicated swing which is typically why it takes him so long to get going in a season. Doesn't exactly explain why his 2017 was pretty ho hum. I still maintain 2017 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Most of the negativity IMO stems from the fact 2016 was so bad. Also for what it's worth, supposedly Zobrist played through I believe it was a wrist injury last year. So, that kind of shows you that a guy can really lose his swing by trying to tough it out and play.

I'm also willing to bet that there were some organizational issues with Mallee. This front office doesn't air it's laundry in the public so it's hard to say for certain here but clearly the made the change there for a reason. From the sounds of things, it seems like Mallee wanted Heyward to hit Mallee's way where as Chili's approach seems to be how do I make Heyward's way better.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Saw brett from bleachnation mention that in 2016 he had a wrist injury early in the season. It's entirely plausible to me that it screwed him up for the season. He has always had a complicated swing which is typically why it takes him so long to get going in a season. Doesn't exactly explain why his 2017 was pretty ho hum. I still maintain 2017 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Most of the negativity IMO stems from the fact 2016 was so bad. Also for what it's worth, supposedly Zobrist played through I believe it was a wrist injury last year. So, that kind of shows you that a guy can really lose his swing by trying to tough it out and play.

I'm also willing to bet that there were some organizational issues with Mallee. This front office doesn't air it's laundry in the public so it's hard to say for certain here but clearly the made the change there for a reason. From the sounds of things, it seems like Mallee wanted Heyward to hit Mallee's way where as Chili's approach seems to be how do I make Heyward's way better.
Yea i went and relooked at what he said..
He said again, so yea maybe that injury had him using his arms and body more ..

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1008200358496047105?s=19

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Heyward will never opt out

All he will have left is 5/106 left. Do you think he gets another big contract at age 34? He signs another 8/160 he is money ahead. And dont add the deferred signing bonus money to the contract numbers that are left. If he opts out, they need to write him a check for around 32.5 million. 12.5 for each year and the 5 million per from 2024-2027.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL....yeah, right. And all of MLB have been blind to his last three years....a .250 hitter (maybe) with little or no power who can play defense. He will not opt out because he will not get any significant offers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fact they were willing to trade Soler and Eloy signifies that they are in the long haul with Schwarber and Heyward. Heyward is doing fine right now. Be happy with that

chibears55

Liked Posts:
83dced88c559711df7a504af7add0b84.jpg

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Tonight game could be the ugly one...

Cubs facing Flaherty for first time,
They usually struggle when they see someone new

Most of the Cardinals hitters tee off against Quintana

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
All he will have left is 5/106 left. Do you think he gets another big contract at age 34? He signs another 8/160 he is money ahead. And dont add the deferred signing bonus money to the contract numbers that are left. If he opts out, they need to write him a check for around 32.5 million. 12.5 for each year and the 5 million per from 2024-2027.

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Thank you Philles..

Chance to take over 1st again tonight

Too bad that guy Arrieta couldn't of helped his buddies out like he said he would..lol