IST: Cubs @ Rockies

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here's something I love about Almora... Prior to todays game I had read some comments from him saying that the baseball season is a huge grind and he doesn't worry about hitting daily. What he does is tries to find something small every day to help the team win rather than worry about whether or not he'll get hits. I simply love that attitude. Obviously today with his defense magnified that comment but you do enough little things and they add up.

It's stuff like that which is why I've always been so high on him. He simply doesn't have the ceiling of some of the other guys but other than maybe Baez he's possibly the best in terms of baseball IQ and always being in the right place doing the right things. Hell of a game for him. Hopefully he doesn't have to keep doing this in CF because his body might not make it the rest of the year.

Agree 100%. The kid just plays smart and makes big plays.

Plus, I am a believer in playing your best defenders at the key positions, something that has been the case for years, but seems to be going away in the age of offense.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Here's something I love about Almora... Prior to todays game I had read some comments from him saying that the baseball season is a huge grind and he doesn't worry about hitting daily. What he does is tries to find something small every day to help the team win rather than worry about whether or not he'll get hits. I simply love that attitude. Obviously today with his defense magnified that comment but you do enough little things and they add up.

It's stuff like that which is why I've always been so high on him. He simply doesn't have the ceiling of some of the other guys but other than maybe Baez he's possibly the best in terms of baseball IQ and always being in the right place doing the right things. Hell of a game for him. Hopefully he doesn't have to keep doing this in CF because his body might not make it the rest of the year.
If im right i believe that comment came after the WS and him tagging up at 1st on bryant flyball..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If im right i believe that comment came after the WS and him tagging up at 1st on bryant flyball..

Think the comment was more recent than that. I totally don't remember the context but it was something regarding this season I believe.

Regardless, if we ignore Happ, the entire OF has an OBP over .350: .293/.414/.552(Schwarber), .327/.377/.510(Almora), and .262/.352/.410(Heyward). That'll play...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Think the comment was more recent than that. I totally don't remember the context but it was something regarding this season I believe.

Regardless, if we ignore Happ, the entire OF has an OBP over .350: .293/.414/.552(Schwarber), .327/.377/.510(Almora), and .262/.352/.410(Heyward). That'll play...
I try to ignore his start..lol

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Let me know when you can do something other than make dick comments from the cheap seats. Maddon didn't use his last position player until Contreras and brought his pitcher into Caritini's spof. He's playing from ahead for a 9 inning game.

You'd think the 2016 playoffs would've put an end to the idiotic IGT hot takes, but here we are...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, you feel every move is good if we don't lose, and I am guessing all moves are bad if we do?

He brought in two position players in the top of the 6th, replaced a pitcher in the bottom of the 6th, and had a pitcher bat in a key spot in this game in the bottom of the 6th. He escaped due to the opponent's screw up. If Colorado covered first on Cishek's bunt, we'd be trailing now.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. You only get the big bucks IF you win.....not HOW you win. There's a million managers out there that did things "by the book" and are looking for work.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Maddon will always make some curious in-game decisions throughout the course of a season, but it's good to keep the forest in mind instead of the trees: WS victory, 3 straight NLCS appearances, Manager of the Year, .671 second-half winning percentage with the Cubs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Evaluators from the Cubs and Cardinals were recently on hand to watch the Rays last week, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports. The Rays’ limited payroll capability could make them sellers regardless of their record, though the team is also off to a slow 8-13 start overall (though Tampa has won five of its last six games). It isn’t known what players were being watched, though the Cubs have been heavily linked to Chris Archer in the past while the Cardinals had strong interest in Alex Colome this offseason.

Not sure this is anything but figure it's worth noting.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would honestly sit on Alozay in AAA for insurance on Chatwood

I honestly don't know how Archer would even work if that's what the idea is. I mean I suppose if Tampa some how saw Chatwood as a value add to some sort of deal then sure you could probably work something out but the cubs would be stupid at this point to essentially pay to get rid of him especially if the cost on Archer is what you'd expect.

I suppose theoretically an interesting thing the cubs could do would be to just eat several mil a season on Chatwood. For example, if you assume in July he's got roughly $30 mil left on the 2.5 years of his deal, if you ate like 10-15 mil spread out over 3 years they could in theory have a really cheap starter. And clearly the cubs and others see potential in him. So, he's a decent buy low guy with an eye toward fixing him and flipping him later for a rebuilding team later.

But having said that, it seems fairly far fetched to me.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't know how Archer would even work if that's what the idea is. I mean I suppose if Tampa some how saw Chatwood as a value add to some sort of deal then sure you could probably work something out but the cubs would be stupid at this point to essentially pay to get rid of him especially if the cost on Archer is what you'd expect.

I suppose theoretically an interesting thing the cubs could do would be to just eat several mil a season on Chatwood. For example, if you assume in July he's got roughly $30 mil left on the 2.5 years of his deal, if you ate like 10-15 mil spread out over 3 years they could in theory have a really cheap starter. And clearly the cubs and others see potential in him. So, he's a decent buy low guy with an eye toward fixing him and flipping him later for a rebuilding team later.

Quintana has a team option after this year for 10.5 mil 2019 and team option 11.5 mil 2020..
If they were to get Archer , they could easily move Chatwood to bullpen for rest of year and then decide in offseason if they want to pick up Quintana option or let him walk..
Im sure that decision will be based on how he does..

Not a whole lot but adding Archer and not picking up Quintana would save them 6 mil over the next 2 years..

Just would suck losing Jiminez for just 1.5 yrs of Quintana but i could see not bringing him back for 10.5 mil if he not affective

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Let Quintana walk???

No way. Not a chance. They traded a future star to get him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I would think that they would concider looking at a bigger deal myself.

Kiermaier Is out for 3 months and I would be weary of being co-dependent on Morrow. Maybe just st evaluate and talk a deal for Coleme and Kiermaier for Happ/Almora/Alzolay and a ptbnl

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would think that they would concider looking at a bigger deal myself.

Kiermaier Is out for 3 months and I would be weary of being co-dependent on Morrow. Maybe just st evaluate and talk a deal for Coleme and Kiermaier for Happ/Almora/Alzolay and a ptbnl

If you're the cubs why would you want Kiermaier? He's not played more than 104 games since 2015. He's a career .260/.317/.426 hitter. And Almora is likely close in terms of defense if not better given KK's recent injury trouble. Makes very little sense if you ask me.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
04/16/2018 Torn Ligament In Right Rhumb 10-Day Disabled List
04/16/2018 Torn Ligament In Right Rhumb 60-Day Disabled List
06/09/2017 Fractured Right Hip 10-Day Disabled List
06/09/2017 Fractured Right Hip 60-Day Disabled List
05/22/2016 Fractured Left Hand 15-Day Disabled List
05/21/2016 Fractured Left Hand Day-To-Day

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His injuries are hard play injury. Almora is cut from the same cloth

CSF77

Liked Posts:
D wise KK is arguably the best in baseball. He is better than Heyward.

Almora has excellent instincts but he is not at that level. Notch under as he overachieves his talent.

Injuries happen but if it is because a player goes out flaming on a play then it is ‘more’ acceptable. Sure he needs to go feet first but no one does that now. How can you target a guy for it?

Almora is the same type of guy and honestly when you play hard it pushes your body to the limits more often.