IST: Cubs vs Braves

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alcantara arm is ok. I would call it average for an OF. But, his problem last year was he was horribly inaccurate. Couldn't hit cutoff men consistently. couldn't make an accurate throw to the bases.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They were splitting his time with Olt and LaStella between 2 positions. Not really stable play. LaStella wnt down after 2 games. Olt 6 games. Alcantara got 11 games in. After Olt went down Bryant took over. Herrera was hitting .235 vs Alcantara .077. So he got the playing time until the Russell promote.

Regardless Alcantara picked it up playing full time vs avg 2.36 AB's per game played. (IE mostly a bench player)

Either way you(the cubs that is) are literally throwing a large assumption that Alcantara doesn't struggle because even if you assume a successful Olt/Bryant 3B barring injury you would still have been playing a La Stella/Herrera 2B until probably at least June given what played out with Baez. That's way too thin a line up to not go after another option. Even if we assume they don't still move Valbuena for something else Alcantara would have been their only real option in CF as Szczur isn't a starter. So any struggle by Alcantara or injury and you're screwed.

It's never stupid to add depth so this implication that trading for Fowler was a bad move is really short sighted even if Fowler gets worse and doesn't improve in the second half. Also, let's not forget here that most of the cubs bench got hurt to start the season which would have left them incredibly thin without having Fowler to play daily.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
I was hoping Schwarber would be playing today. Ross is in.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was hoping Schwarber would be playing today. Ross is in.

Yeah, with all the runs they're scoring...they can afford to keep their hottest hitter on the bench.

:obama:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hmmmm two games in a row out of the starting lineup.

I would love to see his bat in there today, but did people really think he was going to be called up and become the #1 catcher within three days?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice, production from the bottom of the order. That is a breath of fresh air. 2-0

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would love to see his bat in there today, but did people really think he was going to be called up and become the #1 catcher within three days?
He not catching because maddon basically said he not ready to catch their top starters in Lester and Arrieta. .
Which makes my argument for next year and trading Montero for him to take over ... their not going to go with the unproven , unexperience rookie next year when they might have 3 studs at TOR who would prefer Montero/Ross behind the dish ...

Besides not catching today, they also preferred Coghlan in LF over him... which shows LF probably not an option either..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He not catching because maddon basically said he not ready to catch their top starters in Lester and Arrieta. .
Which makes my argument for next year and trading Montero for him to take over ... their not going to go with the unproven , unexperience rookie next year when they might have 3 studs at TOR who would prefer Montero/Ross behind the dish ...

Besides not catching today, they also preferred Coghlan in LF over him... which shows LF probably not an option either..

He is catching 3 of 4 in Cinci. They have already said that

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is catching 3 of 4 in Cinci. They have already said that
Right.. Hammels Hendricks and Richard

Their not going to let him catch Lester or Arrieta

Next year Lester Arrieta and whatever top guy they add will again prefer Montero/Ross over him

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta is a beast. I guess the Cubs won that trade, lol.

He now has tied his win total from last year. Has a chance to surpass it today with a W.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right.. Hammels Hendricks and Richard

Their not going to let him catch Lester or Arrieta

Next year Lester Arrieta and whatever top guy they add will again prefer Montero/Ross over him

Eh, least we have a left handed power hitter coming off the bench now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta has been great. Bad year to go for the Cy Young with Zack Grienke. 42 2/3 scoreless streak. 1.30 ERA! WOW

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Arrieta has been great. Bad year to go for the Cy Young with Zack Grienke. 42 2/3 scoreless streak. 1.30 ERA! WOW

I would be surprised if he did not opt into F/A. He could hold the Dodgers for ransom. Thus why the Dodgers are onto Cole Hamels right now. Losing Grenke would suck.

It would be the same thing that Det did with Price. They knew that Max would go over their budget so they covered themselves for the next season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Arrieta was ranked #8 in ERA st the start of the game.
Greinke 1.30, Scherzer 2.09, Burrnett 2.11, DeGromm 2.14, Cole 2.30, Miller 2.39,Martinez 2.52, Arrieta 2.60

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Castro kept his "strike out looking with bases loaded and two outs" streak alive

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Have i mentioned how much Ross is a waste with the bat.. Turrible

Rondon and Motte time..
be nice to get another run or two, make it easier