Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last time I checked the managers were in charge

Yes, they are....and that's exactly why the Cubs don't bunt much. He knows the percentages are not in his favor. Mediocre bunters doing something they do not want to do.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This buntng topic is plain dumb.

Even in little league you never bunted your best hitter. It never happens.

Well every person ever drafted as a hitter was the best hitter where they played up to college level.

So a bunt is a out sacrifice.

It is in play in the in field.

It normally doesn't result in a run scored.

So you give up a out to move a runner up a base.

That is fucking stupid. It only makes sense if the pitcher is up to to this. If the position player is that shitty of a hitter then he has no business in the majors or minors for that matter.

Bunting died with Astro turf. Get over it

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Imagine Maddon looking at Schwarber after he doesn't execute a bunt and saying "No soup for you!" Not gonna happen, eggtrousers.
Really? Maddon was pissed at Chunky earlier in the year which is why he sat a number of games. Managers decide not players

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways if this is about the shift and countering it.

I'm guessing if so this is a Schwarber thing.

One of the biggest counters is hitting it over the wall.

If you don't get that pitch then take a walk to first. His walk% has gone up.

A walk > Bunt. Always.

So stop crybabing this topic.

Now I've seen both Schwarber and Rizzo bunt to the open 3B bag if the 3B is too far off and are not respecting it. But if that becomes your go-to they will adjust to it.

The thing is. Shifting is normal. The only counter is to practice hitting the other way and using a I side out swing. Baez has mastered this. That is the true counter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Add to it.

If all you can do to counter a shift is bunt they won. You lost. They have taken a home run threat and reduced him to a weak bunter with no speed.

Congrats to that winning stragity on a hard line shift counter.

If you want to talk about him driving the ball to left more that is fine. I just see this as he was in a slump and he is now working out of it. This month he is hitting .290. at that rate he will be back up to his career avg soon enough. Not that hard to do honestly.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. If the players like Rizzo and Schwarber weren't so hard headed, they'd teach themselves how to drop balls down near the wide open spaces at 3B. Instead, they choose to hit into the shift. The shift only works because the hitters allow it to work. But Omy is foolish to blame management...the players only want to drive the ball these days. They don't bunt because they simply don't want to... you're not gonna get stellar results forcing a player to do something he's not happy doing.

I am referring to the sacrifice.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bunting when they shift is OK with me. Beats hitting to the IF in RF.

If they adjust to it, it means they removed the defender who was positioned where the batter frequently hits it, which is fine, too.

I am perfectly fine with bunting for a hit or the squeeze.

Bunting to move a man from first to second is usually a poor play, and I am glad our manager recognizes that.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Add to it.

If all you can do to counter a shift is bunt they won. You lost. They have taken a home run threat and reduced him to a weak bunter with no speed.

Congrats to that winning stragity on a hard line shift counter.

If you want to talk about him driving the ball to left more that is fine. I just see this as he was in a slump and he is now working out of it. This month he is hitting .290. at that rate he will be back up to his career avg soon enough. Not that hard to do honestly.

Home Run threat....lmao. Lets take a look at Rizzo....last year in 665 PA he hit 25 HRs. Thats a homer every 26 or so PA or about one every 6 games. So that's what you're concerned about him giving up? When if he taught himself to be a half way proficient bunter (you don't even need to be a good bunter) he could be on base all day, adding to the pitcher's pitch count and forcing them to cover the left side of the infield. And he wouldn't be bunting every AB, just enough to force a change. You're not asking Aaron, Ruth or Bonds to bunt....it's friggin Anthony Rizzo.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
you dont have to bunt, look at Javy leading the freaking league with opposite field hits, and he is killing the ball.

Said it before and it never gets thru, only the hitters can force a team to stop shifting against them. Its not dumping a bunt every 5 games, its driving the ball to the opposite field gap. If Javy can do it, why cant the rest?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
you dont have to bunt, look at Javy leading the freaking league with opposite field hits, and he is killing the ball.

Said it before and it never gets thru, only the hitters can force a team to stop shifting against them. Its not dumping a bunt every 5 games, its driving the ball to the opposite field gap. If Javy can do it, why cant the rest?
Im amazed at whay Javy has done this year via opposite field

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

"Why can't all these other schmucks have an elite hit tool just like Javy Baez?"

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Really? Maddon was pissed at Chunky earlier in the year which is why he sat a number of games. Managers decide not players
Schwarber is in a platoon situation. You’re no insider.