CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
But isn't that exactly the point though? This is a good baseball team, a young team coming into its own, but it isn't finished yet. This team is not contending for a World Series this year. Much as it pains me the Cardinals are still the better ball club. I thought the Cubs would be swept again and instead split and nearly took 3 of 4. I think they're likely at this point to make the playoffs as a WC. That's a valuable learning exerience but it doesn't make them a contender. I kind of hate the WC myself because it keeps to many teams hanging around thinking they can win. Still it's fun to watch Cubs baseball again without throwing up. Their time will come.
There are plenty of WC teams who have won the World Series. The Giants last season were a wild card. I like the wild card, but I agree that I don't see this cubs team making the WS.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montego spoke on the homerun. He wasn't even really concerned with it. He said that the Carpenter at bat was the one. He said that Strop knows he is a good hitter, but he has been struggling at the plate and he said Strop threw pitches no where near the zone. Montero said that you have to make better pitches there and that was really the bad thing.

I agree with Montero. Strop pitch to Peralta even though down the middle was at the top of the zone and was 95. I see a lot of MLB players swing and miss at that even though he miss his spot. The Carpenter at bat was the killer. He has to be in the zone with a guy struggling at the plate. Im sure Montero and others made Strop well aware of that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yesterday Tim Kurckjian said that he felt the Cubs were a lock for the playoffs. Most places put the odds at 75-80% chance that they are in.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yesterday Tim Kurckjian said that he felt the Cubs were a lock for the playoffs. Most places put the odds at 75-80% chance that they are in.

A lot of teams. A lot of games. I will say I think they will be contention until the end and they could make it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There are plenty of WC teams who have won the World Series. The Giants last season were a wild card. I like the wild card, but I agree that I don't see this cubs team making the WS.
As is..... no , this team is not a WS contender

Im not even sure as is, if their a sure bet as a WC contender...
you have to ask how much and how long can the pitching carry them if this offense continues to struggle for long stretches...
Plus. .

Giants Dbacks and Braves are right there on their heels

Have to see what moves they make by the deadline to get an idea of what type of team their going to be for rest of season. ..

Go with what they have and hope for best..

Minor moves and hope to secure a WC spot

Major moves and shoot for the WS now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
As is..... no , this team is not a WS contender

Im not even sure as is, if their a sure bet as a WC contender...
you have to ask how much and how long can the pitching carry them if this offense continues to struggle for long stretches...
Plus. .

Giants Dbacks and Braves are right there on their heels

Have to see what moves they make by the deadline to get an idea of what type of team their going to be for rest of season. ..

Go with what they have and hope for best..

Minor moves and hope to secure a WC spot

Major moves and shoot for the WS now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I think they have enough to secure that second WC slot. The Giants have some issues and the Braves are a year away. That said i don't want to see them try to win a WS this year when I just don't think they're ready for that. No team has won a WS with 3 rookis starting and I can't see this one being the first. See here's the thing I don't want them to win one Worls Series I want 2 or 3 or whatever this young core can provide. The sacrificing some of that now bothers me.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Be happy with any. Sacrificing any is always a mistake.
Sacrificing is shutting down Strasburg knowing you will be back next year. Doh! The Cubs aren't going to be getting rid of anyone this year to go for the playoffs. Getting rid of the youth is the sacrifice.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sacrificing is shutting down Strasburg knowing you will be back next year. Doh! The Cubs aren't going to be getting rid of anyone this year to go for the playoffs. Getting rid of the youth is the sacrifice.

I would not be shocked at all if the right deal came along and a piece or two were traded away.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I was completely against the Strasburg move and I was pulling hard for Washington that year, but this isn't that. This is team on the cusp of a 6-7 year window and might need every bit of that minor league depth to build champions going forward. Now if they were to trade Baez and say Carl Edwards for Noah Syndergaard in a move that helps the now and the tomorrow? Sure I go for that but Baez or McKinney plus another prospect for Scott Kazmir then no thank you.