IST: Cubs vs. Cards

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Fowler? He's more overmatched than Castro.

On which part? The taking a third strike with runners on first and third and one out equaling no contact, the not running out the play on a ball that nearly kicked up chalk standing and admiring it, or the swinging at strike three with runners on first and third and one out again?

My Lord. Pat Hughes even said he has NEVER seen a baseball player not run out a ball that was remotely close like that. In fact, he said you learn that at an early age. The umps will tell you if it is foul or not.

It's funny people throw E-Jax under the bus and rightfully so, but how is it different calling him for what he is?

It is no more tiresome than listening to people that defend him either.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
On which part? The taking a third strike with runners on first and third and one out equaling no contact, the not running out the play on a ball that nearly kicked up chalk standing and admiring it, or the swinging at strike three with runners on first and third and one out again?

My Lord. Pat Hughes even said he has NEVER seen a baseball player not run out a ball that was remotely close like that. In fact, he said you learn that at an early age. The umps will tell you if it is foul or not.

It's funny people throw E-Jax under the bus and rightfully so, but how is it different calling him for what he is?

Lol.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL X 100

Is there one single person here who has defended Jackson?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I literally see this happen everyday across baseball. I have watched all stars to scrubs do it.

It may get tiresome defending Castro but it gets tiresome blaming him for everything.

He is getting smoke because of this but no one talks about Soler striking out in the same situation. Solar taking one of the worse angles in baseball on Reynolds triple.

Has anyone talked about Russell killing us in the lineup? How about Russell two mistakes the only game he played short that no one mentioned.

How about Fowler and his increase slide and horrible defense?

You want to see horrible defense? Watch Marcus Semien and Ian Desmond. I will show you horrible defense.

I watched Rizzo earlier this year not run on a fair ball cause he didn't know where the ball was. No one said a word.

Is Castro struggling? Yes. Is he the only Cub? No Is he the biggest problem? Absolutely not.

I also find it hilarious the same guy ripping on Castro is the same guy proclaiming Russell is the real deal when Russell first season couldn't hold Catro's jock strap. So, yes, it gets tiresome that every game thread that the only negative talked about for pages is Castro because of one poster and his "non-emotional" post.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say I've defended him. But from the talk around here you'd think he was the worst ever pitcher to have a 3.30 ERA. Think he catches most of the heat he does because he wasn't a very good starter for the cubs and is now making $11 mil a year to be a long reliever. That's fair and all but all the calls from some here to release him are a bit premature IMO. As I've said a number of times I think they will try to trade him with cash to a team looking for a cheap starter for 2016 or even a long reliever. I mean Villanueva of all people found work with the best team in baseball(Cards). Cubs wont get a major return or anything but I think there is some deal to be made.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
LOL X 100

Well, with all of his blunders to date, and trust me it has been a bunch of them, we will see what the FO thinks of Castro.

He obviously threw the "Cubs Way" manual away. Would that be considered another error?

Anyways. there is a reason he gets the bad hype from analysts. They are not Cubs fans, so there is no bias one way or another.

I cannot think of one commentator that thinks the Cubs will employ Castro next year. Not one.

Pretty sad really.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, with all of his blunders to date, and trust me it has been a bunch of them, we will see what the FO thinks of Castro.

He obviously threw the "Cubs Way" manual away. Would that be considered another error?

Anyways. there is a reason he gets the bad hype from analysts. They are not Cubs fans, so there is no bias one way or another.

I cannot think of one commentator that thinks the Cubs will employ Castro next year. Not one.

Pretty sad really.

Harold Reynolds does.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Pretty sad really.

So, my question, Cubs blow a save and why is Castro being talked about and said non save not being talked about?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
So, my question, Cubs blow a save and why is Castro being talked about and said non save not being talked about?

We can talk about that too. Why Strop put one remotely close to the inner half of the plate is beyond me? Make Perralta beat you to right field, and for heavens sake, make Carpenter swing the bat. He takes until he gets a strike anyways.

I was more pissed about the walk than the HR because a solo shot doesn't beat you. He made a bad pitch. Against Carpenter, he made four bad ones in a row.

You know my stance on Castro, and he just keeps doing the things that I guarantee you are irking everyone from the top down in this organization.

If you think he is a part of the future long-term, than more power to you. IMO, he won't be a Cub next year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I literally see this happen everyday across baseball. I have watched all stars to scrubs do it.

I'm definitely not as up tight about Castro as some. I would wager their frustration is more about him being a vet at this point. I mean he is 25 and all but seems like he's been around forever. I think it is that juxtaposition that causes tension in people. There's the "he's a vet, he should know better" thought. I tend to think of it as how stupid was I as a 25 year old?

To be blunt, I can live with the Manny like weirdness of Castro so long as he hits like 2014 Castro. I don't love his defense at SS. If they swap him and Russell I'd probably be ok with it and that might take some of the pressure off him. Honestly it's hard to say really because it's not that Castro is a bad defender it's that he does really inconsistent things. Hopefully the all-star break will let Castro regroup so he can get hot going forward because in large part he's suppose to be the steady guy getting his in the line up around these rookies. If we had 2014 Castro I think a lot of this "where's the offense" talk would die down.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
White Sox are celebrating as if they have won the world series.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can talk about that too. Why Strop put one remotely close to the inner half of the plate is beyond me? Make Perralta beat you to right field, and for heavens sake, make Carpenter swing the bat. He takes until he gets a strike anyways.

I was more pissed about the walk than the HR because a solo shot doesn't beat you. He made a bad pitch. Against Carpenter, he made four bad ones in a row.

You know my stance on Castro, and he just keeps doing the things that I guarantee you are irking everyone from the top down in this organization.

If you think he is a part of the future long-term, than more power to you. IMO, he won't be a Cub next year.

People have been saying that for years even before he signed his extension. Ill believe it when the Cubs have something better. Russell is not better right now and it seems they were trying to ship Baez off earlier this season. So, we will see but I could care less because he is part of this team the rest of the year.

I just find it funny is the Cubs put out 27 times and lost the game on a 2 strike 2 out pitch and the only thing being talked about was Castro two outs but no talk of his hit that got us to 4-2 where all he tried to do was put the bat on the ball.

No talk of that mile pop up he ran down that the announcers were impressed with. No, its two at bats and about a popped ball that Castro had no chance to catch but he swung his glove sideways so that makes him the worse defensive SS or something.

Baseball is the ultimate team sport. I highly doubt the Cubs players are in the locker room blaming Castro because he didn't run out a foul ball.