IST: Cubs vs Cards

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ozuna should of been called out on strikes..
I'd rather see Chat give up bombs over walking people with a big lead
Plus I mean he was basically just throwing high 90's gas in the strike zone which given you have an 11 run lead with it being the 9th inning makes sense. Not sure I want him in high leverage but I can live with the outing. Just get through the inning and don't burn one of you big arms.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Agreed. In the bottom of the ninth, a HR hurts no more than a walk. And, yes, he was out on strikes.

Did you notice he was celebrating rounding first. Who does he think he is, Matt Stafford?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Agreed. In the bottom of the ninth, a HR hurts no more than a walk. And, yes, he was out on strikes.

Did you notice he was celebrating rounding first. Who does he think he is, Matt Stafford?
Saw that, those are the guys that care more about personal stats

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Report came out that Darvish was focusing on his sinker last game. 51 out of 81 pitches. What has been happening is he loses the feel of his 4 seem completely at times. That has forced him into a slider/cutter mix with no fastball use.

Now with him replacing the 4 with a two it should balance his attack.

Last game was like 63% usage so too heavy of a diet. I would take that start as a spring training start. Next one we might see a different result.
He is coming off a long injury. It will take time to get the feel correct, IME. You are right to take that as a ST start. Maybe a few more, but I like the way they are identifying issues quickly.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Darvish def. has confidence issues. I watched him on the Rangers. He doesnt challenge anymore when he is down. He has issues knowing his stuff is great. He would challenge when he was younger. There probaby is a mechanical issue somewhere, but his mind is def not the same. I think he gets into his head because the guy came in the league always dominating and now he has had adversity. Baseball is a game very much like tennis and golf. The mental aspect is huge. Hopefully, he can relax with a good team and get the feeling he used to have where he was the best on the field. Its the only way to be a great pitcher in the league.

This is my opinion, but I feel like I watched him more than anyone here because the Rangers are on my local tv. I dont see the same man on the mound when he throws and its isnt his stuff. Thats still there.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Darvish def. has confidence issues. I watched him on the Rangers. He doesnt challenge anymore when he is down. He has issues knowing his stuff is great. He would challenge when he was younger. There probaby is a mechanical issue somewhere, but his mind is def not the same. I think he gets into his head because the guy came in the league always dominating and now he has had adversity. Baseball is a game very much like tennis and golf. The mental aspect is huge. Hopefully, he can relax with a good team and get the feeling he used to have where he was the best on the field. Its the only way to be a great pitcher in the league.

This is my opinion, but I feel like I watched him more than anyone here because the Rangers are on my local tv. I dont see the same man on the mound when he throws and its isnt his stuff. Thats still there.
I mean he literally said after the game yesterday he just can't locate his 4 seam fastball some days which is why he purely featured his sinker. The 4 seam was the pitch in the past he typically threw ~40% of the time. It's pretty hard to challenge a hitter when your primary pitch just isn't working and that's clearly a mechanical issue.

That being said, this could be a blessing in disguise I think. Historically, Darvish has been a fly ball pitcher and because of that he's been prone to giving up higher than average home runs. His ground ball rate this year has skyrocketed to 53.0%. League average is like 43% and Darvish the several years prior has gone 36.3%, 40.4%, 40.7% and 37.6% from 2014-2018. So, that elevated ground ball rate is in stark contrast to what he's been the past several years. And personally I think that benefits him going forward as he ages because stuff isn't going to last forever.

Obviously that's all dependent on him actually figuring out how to make his sinker work as a primary pitch but looking at his sinker usage from saturday it was mostly in the zone. 40 of the 45 were either strikes or contact. As such, I think this is likely encouraging going forward unless hitters are just teeing off on his sinker.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I know alot of people dont think Contrares is a good defensive receiver, but there were pitches that were 6-8 inches off the plate that he was barely getting a glove on. I know he prides himself on stopping everything, but was it purely Chatwood having so much on pitches even that catcher cant follow it or was it Willson not putting up big effort knowing chatwoods wildness?
If it were the former, you gotta think that is also what a hitter is seeing.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Darvish def. has confidence issues.

This is exactly why he should not be forced to a closer role. I think Chatwood could handle it better and he was throwing some seeds at 96 that hitters had no chance on. Yes, including strike 3 on Ozuna.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

You mean 90% of baseball is 50% mental? :D

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Always great to sweep St. Looey.

Cubs are on a roll right now and I hope they keep it up. A 47 game win streak could be fun.