IST: Cubs vs. Dodgers

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago 10-10(4th in NL Central) vs. Los Angeles 15-9 (1st in NL West)

chc.png

vs.

th

Pitching Matchups

Game 1 — Tuesday, April 22. 7:05 p.m. CDT

Jose Quintana (2-1, 3.43 ERA, 29 K, 7 BB) vs. Kenta Maeda (3-1, 3.80 ERA, 20 K, 10 BB)

Game 2 — Wednesday, April 23. 7:05 p.m. CDT

Cole Hamels (3-0, 2.77 ERA, 23 K, 3 BB) vs. Walker Buehler (2-0, 5.40 ERA, 17K, 6 BB)

Game 3 — Thursday, April 24. 1:20 p.m. CDT

TBD vs. Ross Stripling (1-1, 3.07 ERA, 26 K, 9 BB)

wrigley_top.jpg

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if Dixon Machado got an opt out as part of his minor league deal as is some what normal. Russell should be returning in the next two weeks but if Machado doesn't have an opt out he might be a half decent throw in piece later in the year. Cubs don't really have need for him if Russell is back. Probably wont net too much but you might be able to deal him for a useful bullpen piece.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if Dixon Machado got an opt out as part of his minor league deal as is some what normal. Russell should be returning in the next two weeks but if Machado doesn't have an opt out he might be a half decent throw in piece later in the year. Cubs don't really have need for him if Russell is back. Probably wont net too much but you might be able to deal him for a useful bullpen piece.
I'd rather they use Russell with say Monty and get more then a half way decent reliever who can close out games

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This assumes they only need 1 arm.
True..
assuming their not going to spend money on Kimbrel , their just gonna have to hope guys like mekkes Maples and Underwood will eventually come up and get the job done when their needed

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
True..
assuming their not going to spend money on Kimbrel , their just gonna have to hope guys like mekkes Maples and Underwood will eventually come up and get the job done when their needed
My thought was more maybe an early-ish deal with Machado for someone of the level of brach is currently to get you to july then you hopefully add something bigger later.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My thought was more maybe an early-ish deal with Machado for someone of the level of brach is currently to get you to july then you hopefully add something bigger later.
I get that..
Just making a low scrap move like that, probably not going to be enough to get to July with whatever the return is for Machado.
Pretty much gonna end up with a Mekkes Maples Underwood type player in return do t you think

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I get that..
Just making a low scrap move like that, probably not going to be enough to get to July with whatever the return is for Machado.
Pretty much gonna end up with a Mekkes Maples Underwood type player in return do t you think
Well Maples I'm not sure is better than Edwards. I mean historically he's been Edwards just almost always when he's bad with command. I'm not trying to put him down but I'm not sure he's who I'd count on. Underwood I don't think is very interesting in a bullpen. I think he's just a depth starter and frankly I'm not sure he's even that. Mekkes IMO eventually will be a weapon out of the bullpen it's just a question of when. If I'm being blunt I honestly don't know why he isn't int he majors now. Well scratch that, I know why. He's not pitching well thus far. But what I mean is he looked to me like he'd already proven enough in AAA last year to have more of an inside shot at the majors this year. So, until he gets back to what he was doing last year I'm not sure you can count on him either.

As for Machado type returns... I mean it's hard to say because it largely depends on individual situations of teams that may want him. If a rebuilding team buys in him being a guy who can be what Valbuena kinda was early in the cubs rebuild then sure he's probably worth a half decent guy. Rebuilding teams don't need a bullpen. And while you're not even going to get something a kin to Marshall for Wood, that doesn't mean there's not a useful piece out there. I'd take something akin to what the cubs are getting out of Kintzler and be pretty happy right now if it got them to july without having to give up value.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They need to play Russell to build trade value first. I think that it is proven that they don't need him to win by now.

Russell is worth a 50 rated pitching prospect right now. If his bat comes around it goes to a 55 rated. With his track record I don't see it climbing higher

As far as who they have? Mekkes lacks velocity. That is his shirt coming. Underwood has never put it together. Alozay maybe if he can get off the DL long enough to see how he fairs vs AAA talent.

At this point I would rather see Clifton. They are limiting his PC so he has been used in 2 inning situations already.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They need to play Russell to build trade value first. I think that it is proven that they don't need him to win by now.

Russell is worth a 50 rated pitching prospect right now. If his bat comes around it goes to a 55 rated. With his track record I don't see it climbing higher

As far as who they have? Mekkes lacks velocity. That is his shirt coming. Underwood has never put it together. Alozay maybe if he can get off the DL long enough to see how he fairs vs AAA talent.

At this point I would rather see Clifton. They are limiting his PC so he has been used in 2 inning situations already.

Problem with bringing Russell up and playing him , their then taking PT away from Bote Descalso and Zobrist and taking Javy off of SS

I'd just leave him in Iowa and bring up if needed or use him in a trade now or later

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Problem with bringing Russell up and playing him , their then taking PT away from Bote Descalso and Zobrist and taking Javy off of SS

I'd just leave him in Iowa and bring up if needed or use him in a trade now or later

They have already said that Baez is going back to 2B.

I expect Zag in AAA Bote used more at 3B and Bryant in LF.

Zo should end up in RF with Heyward in CF for the most part

They will push the platoon

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The reason is most of the staff is relies on lite contact rates and ground ball outs. Darvish is the only guy that has a history of SO co-depandent.

So having 2GG quality MI will pay off more.

Russell is ok as a hitter when he is on track. We can expect 100 wRC+. For a glove first SS that is acceptable.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Not sure why we care about Descalso getting playing time. And frankly I see Russell coming up as taking time from Almora not the other two. If you figure Descalso, Almora and the back up C are role players who don't really need much playing time you're trying to find playing time for 9 guys 1 of which being Zobrist who's old enough that he doesn't have to play every game and the group as a whole having tons of versatility to move around and keep everyone fresh.

As for Javy at SS, A) why does it matter if he's at 2B? and B) even if it did Russell can play 2B. Simple fact of the matter is Russell isn't going to be stuck in AAA. If that's what he was they wouldn't have tendered him in the first place.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure why we care about Descalso getting playing time. And frankly I see Russell coming up as taking time from Almora not the other two. If you figure Descalso, Almora and the back up C are role players who don't really need much playing time you're trying to find playing time for 9 guys 1 of which being Zobrist who's old enough that he doesn't have to play every game and the group as a whole having tons of versatility to move around and keep everyone fresh.

As for Javy at SS, A) why does it matter if he's at 2B? and B) even if it did Russell can play 2B. Simple fact of the matter is Russell isn't going to be stuck in AAA. If that's what he was they wouldn't have tendered him in the first place.

Almora was already on the short side of a platoon.

I see it as Schwarber will never see a LH pitcher again. Bote goes to 3B and Bryant to LF vs them

Russell and Baez should be Staples. They are going to focus that IMO. I'm not saying for a trade. That would be a personal based opinion. I'm think it has more to do with spray charts and how the staff is more contact based vs SO based.

GB outs are the largest chunk of contact. That is where you focus your best gloves

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They have already said that Baez is going back to 2B.

I expect Zag in AAA Bote used more at 3B and Bryant in LF.

Zo should end up in RF with Heyward in CF for the most part

They will push the platoon
Who they....
I haven't seen anything from cubs management regarding if or when he will return let alone him going right to starting SS and pushing Javy to 2B, which would be a shit move IMO

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I'm sure that what going to happen, I just think it BS to just hand it back to him..

They've been playing fine with Baez at SS and Bote/Descalso at 2B

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs roster moves for April 21
April 21, 2019
Facebook Share
Twitter Share
Email
Copy Link
The Chicago Cubs today recalled right-handed pitcher Alec Mills from Triple-A Iowa. Left-handed pitcher Randy Rosario was optioned to Triple-A following yesterday’s game. Mills will be available for the Cubs this afternoon when they conclude their three-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Wrigley Field.

Mills, 27, made seven appearances (two starts) for the Cubs last season, going 0-1 with a 4.00 ERA (8 ER/18.0 IP) while limiting foes to a .172 batting average. He spent most of last year with Iowa, going 5-12 with a 4.84 ERA (67 ER/124.2 IP) in 23 starts. Mills has made one start with Iowa this year, allowing one run in 4.0 innings and recording a no-decision on April 17 at New Orleans.

The righthander returned to the big leagues last year for the first time since 2016, when he made three relief appearances for the Kansas City Royals, posting no record and a 13.50 ERA (5 ER/3.1 IP). Mills was acquired by the Cubs on February 8, 2017 from the Royals for minor league outfielder Donnie Dewees. Overall, Mills is 0-1 with a 5.48 ERA (13 ER/21.1 IP) in 10 major league appearances, two as a starter.

Mills was originally selected by the Royals in the 22nd round of the 2012 Draft out of the University of Tennessee at Martin. He is 26-35 with nine saves and a 3.41 ERA (208 ER/549.0 IP) in 125 games (98 starts) covering eight minor league campaigns in the Royals and Cubs organizations.

Rosario, 24, has posted no record and a 5.14 ERA (4 ER/7.0 IP) in seven relief appearances with the Cubs this season.

Read more: Chicago Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm sure that what going to happen, I just think it BS to just hand it back to him..

They've been playing fine with Baez at SS and Bote/Descalso at 2B

Who they....
I haven't seen anything from cubs management regarding if or when he will return let alone him going right to starting SS and pushing Javy to 2B, which would be a shit move IMO

This was posted awhile back

CHICAGO -- With Addison Russell unavailable for the first month of the season, Cubs manager Joe Maddon has utilized several players at second base while regular second baseman Javier Báez has slid over to shortstop. The results over the first few weeks have been strong, but the early success is unlikely to alter Chicago's thinking when Russell is eligible to return.

"The guys have been great. They've been great," Maddon said prior to Friday's game against the D-backs. "But again, Addison being well, he's still one of the best shortstops in the game."

Russell is finishing his 40-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's Domestic Violence Policy, and he will be able to begin a seven-game Minor League stint late next week. Due to Chicago's recently postponed game against the Angels -- Sunday's snowout will be made up on June 3 at Wrigley Field -- Russell will be eligible for activation from MLB's restricted list in time for the Cubs' May 3 home game against the Cardinals.

Since the end of Spring Training, Russell has been in Arizona getting work in at extended spring camp, as the shortstop is not currently eligible to play in any affiliated games. He is still subject to the treatment plan put in place by both MLB and the Cubs to address the off-field issues. President of baseball operations Theo Epstein has emphasized since the offseason that Russell is being given a "conditional second chance" by the club.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is the why bit:

While Russell has been in Arizona and with Baez at shortstop, the Cubs have used a combination of Daniel Descalso, Ben Zobrist and David Bote at second base. Entering Friday, Chicago's second basemen as a unit had produced a .307/.395/.417 slash line with a 119 wRC+ (fourth in the National League). Defensively, though, the group has registered -3 Defensive Runs Saved, -7.5 UZR/150 and -0.2 Defensive Runs (per Fangraphs).

Maddon said the Cubs have not discussed a scenario in which Russell would be optioned to the Minors to give him more at-bats prior to returning.

"I haven't even discussed that, honestly," Maddon said. "I've texted him recently. He feels really good, but we haven't even talked about number of at-bats and what he looks like and how we're going to fit it in yet. We haven't gotten there yet. As we get closer to that, obviously we will. But there's not a whole lot to report there yet."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can really break in down but I see it as the staff is pretty much a ground ball staff and 2B is at dislike. Value D at 2B.

Just a numbers game then.