IST: Cubs vs. Dodgers

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I live in a world in which both Baez and Russell can be on the same field at the same time, preferably at their optimal defensive positions. Which one do you live in? Because you're speaking as if only one of them can be on the field at a time, and we're forced to choose between Baez's bat or Russell's glove. It's bizarre, because that's not the case.

I think the posted info speaks volume.

It will be Russell's bat that gains playing time.

Joe is not going to suck him off just because he might save a run that day while losing that run because the bat is dead.

Keep up the good work skipper.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:

Joe is not going to suck him off just because he might save a run that day while losing that run because the bat is dead.

You're making the assumption Russell's bat will be dead. Beck is saying, let's wait and see...

-Doug

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Hey listen, I'm sex positive but your kinks are your own business. As for Russell, you seem to be operating under the assumption that his bat is "dead" because of last year. You made the same assumption about Contreras before this season, how's that working out for you?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hey listen, I'm sex positive but your kinks are your own business. As for Russell, you seem to be operating under the assumption that his bat is "dead" because of last year. You made the same assumption about Contreras before this season, how's that working out for you?

This goes for both of you.

If you read what I've said on the subject.

If he is putting up a 100 wRC+ or better he will play every day because the glove is that good.

If he is pushing a 60 he won't. The loss on O doesn't justify the innings.

You are pretty much tossing the O as a worthless topic and place his D as the reason why he should play every day.

I countered with, if that was true why is Almora getting splinters on his ass in his slump?

These are facts. Not conjectures. So based off of facts if he is worthless at the plate he might end up with Happ in AAA and not part of the solution.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That said he is not sucking at Iowa. But most AAA talent can't even break into the majors so take it worth a grain.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
This goes for both of you.

If you read what I've said on the subject.

If he is putting up a 100 wRC+ or better he will play every day because the glove is that good.

If he is pushing a 60 he won't. The loss on O doesn't justify the innings.

You are pretty much tossing the O as a worthless topic and place his D as the reason why he should play every day.

I countered with, if that was true why is Almora getting splinters on his ass in his slump?

These are facts. Not conjectures. So based off of facts if he is worthless at the plate he might end up with Happ in AAA and not part of the solution.

My favorite part of this post is where you seriously talk about Russell being a 60 wRC+ bat. His offense is fine. He had an awful year last year, like many of the Cubs young players. Stop talking about it like 60 wRC+ is possible.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He is a 80. His best was 90. He is 80 at AAA now.

So 60 is not really a stretch. About as much as him producing anything over 100.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He has fallen far short of his prospect projection. Lacks a strong arm. Hits .240 on a regular basis. Has ok power. Good range at SS.

I've considered him steady. Not all star.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Profile: Russell was placed on administrative leave in September and subsequently suspended 40 games for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy. Russell was tendered a contract by the Cubs this offseason, but Cubs’ president Theo Epstein has stated this does not guarantee Russell’s future role with the team. When it comes to his performance on the field (which is not the most important consideration in these situations), Russell’s offensive output took another step backwards in 2018. The shortstop has seen his wRC+ decline in each of the past three seasons. While Russell has never been able to hit for average at the major league level, his power output dropped significantly. His slugging percentage (.340) and ISO (.090) were both career lows - possibly explained by a change in approach that saw him pull a career low 30.6% of his batted balls. Russell comes with enough pedigree that he could take a step forward, but he has a long way to go before he can make a fantasy impact at one of the game’s deepest positions. And no one would question you if you preferred to keep him off your team on principal either. (Nick Dika)

The Quick Opinion: Russell’s role and ability to contribute offensively are very much up in the air heading into 2019. He will need to improve his Pull% if he’s going to see his power numbers rebound.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

He is a 80. His best was 90. He is 80 at AAA now.

So 60 is not really a stretch. About as much as him producing anything over 100.

I don't think you understand how wRC+ works. Russell would have to suffer a 25% dropoff in offensive performance from his worst year in order to have 60 wRC+. Stop talking about that like it's in the realm of the probable. It's not, and that's the end if it. You pulled this same crap with Contreras this offseason, and I'll ask you again: How's that working out for you?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think you understand how wRC+ works. Russell would have to suffer a 25% dropoff in offensive performance from his worst year in order to have 60 wRC+. Stop talking about that like it's in the realm of the probable. It's not, and that's the end if it. You pulled this same crap with Contreras this offseason, and I'll ask you again: How's that working out for you?

wRC+ = (((wRAA/PA + League R/PA) + (League R/PA – Park Factor* League R/PA))/ (AL or NL wRC/PA excluding pitchers))*100

Think I got it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I actually wanted Grandal then move Contreras to RF where his arm plays up. Then move Heyward to CF.

Considering Grandal is the best framer in baseball and is at 138 wRC+ it is not a poor idea.

But Contreras is taking the next step. Moot point. But keep it up.