IST: Cubs vs. Dodgers

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying..... I'm just saying....

Bryce Harper - .261/.398/.511 135 wRC+
Jason Heyward - .333/.450/.587 167 wRC+

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I'm still surprised statistically Javy works as a player. He's definitely the exception. Guys who walk ~5% of the time and K over 26-28% of the time don't hit .290-.315. It's also crazy just how much power he's able to get to despite those flaws. At this point I'm willing to believe he's just abnormal but he scares me a bit committing long term. He strikes me as the type of guy who if he loses anything he has going for him be it bat speed or whatever he might just totally fall apart because as mentioned guys who walk 5% of the time and k 26-28% of the time typically aren't good hitters. So whatever mojo he has that some how makes it work... if anything upsets that i worry it will no longer work.

Imagine what he'd be if he developed even below-average play discipline.

I'm not saying..... I'm just saying....

Bryce Harper - .261/.398/.511 135 wRC+
Jason Heyward - .333/.450/.587 167 wRC+

Honestly, those numbers are right in line with Harper's career norms and it's pretty much what the Phillies should expect. His 2015 season was an aberration.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm still surprised statistically Javy works as a player. He's definitely the exception. Guys who walk ~5% of the time and K over 26-28% of the time don't hit .290-.315. It's also crazy just how much power he's able to get to despite those flaws. At this point I'm willing to believe he's just abnormal but he scares me a bit committing long term. He strikes me as the type of guy who if he loses anything he has going for him be it bat speed or whatever he might just totally fall apart because as mentioned guys who walk 5% of the time and k 26-28% of the time typically aren't good hitters. So whatever mojo he has that some how makes it work... if anything upsets that i worry it will no longer work.
and to me, part of the equation is, he is the shortstop now. I dont know why people do not factor this in. Just to keep Addison Russells value up?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
and to me, part of the equation is, he is the shortstop now. I dont know why people do not factor this in. Just to keep Addison Russells value up?
I really don't see the issue people have here. Either A) the cubs choose Russell is a better SS defender and slide Baez over to 2B which he's obviously fantastic at or B) Russell just plays 2B or C) Russell isn't good enough to start and it's a non-issue/he's off the team

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Perhaps it's because Russell is objectively and subjectively the better SS while Baez is objectively and subjectively the better 2B, and because the Cubs have publicly committed to giving Russell a second chance?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think we should watch it play out before we form opinions with Addi.

Add to it Russell has a far better glove at SS over Baez. Javy is a freak athlete.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
D5AUEn2WAAEIwHj.jpg

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple of takes, interesting lineup. Delscalso is hitting over .500 with runners on and under .200 with no runners on.

Lester will go about 75 pitches today depending on the stress of the pitches.

Baez has 15 RBI's when there is two outs in a inning.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
All of a sudden the Cubs are red-hot...

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
In re Addy and Javy, I heard Ken Rosenthal this morning argue strenuously that it makes no sense to "take shortstop away" from Javy when Russel comes back, stating that, of course, being moved over to 2B would have to seem to Javy like a demotion or something.

Baez was asked several times, including after Addy started his suspension last year, whether he really prefers SS to 2B, and he said, basically, no, he likes 2B better. Playing 2B gives him more chances at being on the tagging end of catching runners stealing (which he enjoys), it gives him a more direct look at the batter to be able to track the ball off the bat, and doesn't require him to make long, accurate throws every single time he fields a grounder, which he said is more stressful than fun for him. It also seems to give him more chances to run into the outfield and make amazing over-the-shoulder catches, but I don't recall him mentioning that part.

So, from everything he's said in the past, Javier Baez would prefer to play second. When we get our excellent defensive SS back, why not let Javy play the position he's more comfortable with? I mean, yes, Javy is likely one of the best five shortstops in the game right now. But he can be one of the best second basemen, too. Why not let him play second, if he likes it better?

-Doug

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Russell got booed in Iowa..

maybe or maybe not, but fans acceptance or non acceptance of him could be a factor in coming North..

I just dont think they need to bring him up til needed because their doing fine with Baez Discalso Bote and Zobrist covering the MI but it seems to me theyll bring him up and most likely send Zagunis down

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs' Addison Russell: May see work at keystone
  • By RotoWire Staff
  • Apr 25, 2019 at 12:45 pm ET • 1 min read
Manager Joe Maddon said Thursday that Russell (suspension) will likely see time at second base in addition to shortstop upon returning to the active roster, Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com reports.
Russell began a conditioning stint at Triple-A Iowa on Wednesday and is expected to remain with the affiliate for at least a week before he's eligible for reinstatement from suspension May 3. It had been expected that once activated, Russell would reclaim the everyday role at shortstop he filled for the Cubs last season, but comments from Maddon and president of baseball operations Theo Epstein suggest that may no longer be in the cards. Per Jesse Rogers of ESPN.com, Epstein wouldn't confirm that Russell would rejoin the roster when first eligible, while Maddon seemed to imply that he's content to proceed with Javier Baez as the Cubs' primary shortstop. If that ends up being the case, Russell would likely have to jockey for playing time at the keystone with the likes of Daniel Descalso and David Bote, an arrangement that would hinder the outlooks of all three players.

Last edited by a moderator:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean, yes, Javy is likely one of the best five shortstops in the game right now.

See this is where I think fans get too much out of the wow plays and lulled to sleep by the ordinary ones. If you look at the defensive metrics he's not. I mean he's not a bad SS. He's either league average or a tick above average. Don't get me wrong with that bat and even an average defense at SS he's easily a top 5 SS and a definite MVP candidate assuming he hits something like last year.

But ultimately I just go back to my point that I really don't see why people care where he plays. He's fine at SS. He's pretty great at 2B. He's probably pretty great at 3B too. It doesn't really matter where he is so long as it's not effecting his play. If he's cool with wherever they need him then move the pieces around him to make the most sense. If that's Russell and Russell at SS great. If it's not leave Baez at SS....etc.

I just don't get why people are caught up with him solely playing SS. Are people caught up that Heyward is playing CF or that Bryant has played in the outfield? All I care about is getting the best 8 on the field any given day save for rest in which case you can move guys around in other ways.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
See this is where I think fans get too much out of the wow plays and lulled to sleep by the ordinary ones. If you look at the defensive metrics he's not. I mean he's not a bad SS. He's either league average or a tick above average. Don't get me wrong with that bat and even an average defense at SS he's easily a top 5 SS and a definite MVP candidate assuming he hits something like last year.

But ultimately I just go back to my point that I really don't see why people care where he plays. He's fine at SS. He's pretty great at 2B. He's probably pretty great at 3B too. It doesn't really matter where he is so long as it's not effecting his play. If he's cool with wherever they need him then move the pieces around him to make the most sense. If that's Russell and Russell at SS great. If it's not leave Baez at SS....etc.

I just don't get why people are caught up with him solely playing SS. Are people caught up that Heyward is playing CF or that Bryant has played in the outfield? All I care about is getting the best 8 on the field any given day save for rest in which case you can move guys around in other ways.
More to do with Russell

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
More to do with Russell
Then say either you can't accept his past actions as part of the team going forward or that you can(assuming he's changed or w/e) but that he's just not a good enough player. Make either of those two things your argument. Don't bring up this garbage about you can't move Javy off SS. Sure you can. They've done it more than twice in his professional career. If there is a compelling reason to do it again they are going to do it again. As mentioned if you don't think either of the cases I lined out make Russell a compelling reason then fine but say that don't make it as though Baez is Cal Ripken out there and you can't take him off SS.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
H

He is top 10 in drs as a shortstop this year. Lol

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Then say either you can't accept his past actions as part of the team going forward or that you can(assuming he's changed or w/e) but that he's just not a good enough player. Make either of those two things your argument. Don't bring up this garbage about you can't move Javy off SS. Sure you can. They've done it more than twice in his professional career. If there is a compelling reason to do it again they are going to do it again. As mentioned if you don't think either of the cases I lined out make Russell a compelling reason then fine but say that don't make it as though Baez is Cal Ripken out there and you can't take him off SS.
I've said why...
First as far as what he did..
Obviously I dont like it , but it the organization choice to keep him or not and deal with whatever choice they made..
Dont affect me one way or another, I'm just a fan watching my team as a whole..

I never said they cant move Javy, I just said that there no need to bring Russell up right away because the team doing fine with what they have going on now with the middle infield..
As far as Russell play, he hasn't been all that good offensively the last couple years, so it not like he will be coming back with a big offensive stick that needed in the lineup.

If it just about defense, I haven't seen anything that says I wish they had Russell out there over the other guys..
I think the MI defense has been fine

Also... Javy may mess up on some routine plays but his range and arm makes up for any of those mistakes, a lot of those plays Russell probably would have little to no chance on