IST: Cubs vs. Marlins

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, me too. The last I heard if he played 9 and went well, he'd be up. He played the 9 last night....1-3 with 2 BB.

BTW, Medina got torched in that game.

Think Mendia is looking to get released for a better opportunity. Doubtful that the bottom would just fall out just like that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Clayton Richards ehhhhh..
they wont need a 5th starter til after break, hopefully by then they will get the guy they want in a trade..

He is not that bad. His arm angle is deceptive and he puts the ball on the ground with his sinker. I support seeing him getting an opertunity to make it back into the majors post thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.

If he keeps up this run to the dead line you hold the deck until the off season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also Soler to play the final.

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com | @CarrieMuskat | 12:22 AM ET + 5 COMMENTS
CHICAGO -- Outfielder Jorge Soler, sidelined since June 3 with a sprained left ankle, will be activated from the disabled list on Sunday and rejoin the Cubs. Soler played nine innings on Friday for Triple-A Iowa, participating in his fourth rehab game. Soler was 2-for-13 during his Minor League stint, but manager Joe Maddon said he wasn't that concerned about the statistics.

"I don't worry about that stuff," Maddon said before Saturday's 7-2 Cubs win over the Marlins. "To me, it's a matter of, 'If he's healthy and he's seeing the ball, what does his timing look like?' Those are the kinds of things you're trying to get from the guys down there."
The Cubs are hoping Soler can give the lineup some much-needed punch. The rookie was batting .265 with four home runs and 19 RBIs in 49 games before he was sidelined. Soler started to pick it up in May, batting .288 in 28 games.
The Cubs will announce a corresponding roster move prior to Sunday's game.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Excited to have Soler back! Even though he swings at pick off throws to first, there's still at least a little more intimidation in pitching to him than his replacements. Should help everything.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Excited to have Soler back! Even though he swings at pick off throws to first, there's still at least a little more intimidation in pitching to him than his replacements. Should help everything.

:aj:

The sad part is that quote is closer to being true than false.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is not that bad. His arm angle is deceptive and he puts the ball on the ground with his sinker. I support seeing him getting an opertunity to make it back into the majors post thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.

If he keeps up this run to the dead line you hold the deck until the off season.

I was out last night and missed the game....the boxscore makes look like he was in trouble all game. Fair assessment?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Think he just got lucky facing a bad team that left alot of guys on base..

My point is, if the cubs are indeed looking to add another starter via trade , then unless hendricks part of that trade.. Richards the odd man out..

With off day Thursday and break following, maddon could skip his start next Friday. . But who knows, maybe since he survive yesterday maddon may let him start again. ..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They get Soler back in lineup but Rizzo getting day off

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think he just got lucky facing a bad team that left alot of guys on base..

My point is, if the cubs are indeed looking to add another starter via trade , then unless hendricks part of that trade.. Richards the odd man out..

With off day Thursday and break following, maddon could skip his start next Friday. . But who knows, maybe since he survive yesterday maddon may let him start again. ..

Bias?

From the video on him he was moving his fastball around all day and constantly around 90-92 MPH. His stat line looked pretty legit. He is a upgrade from Wada and Wood.

The thing is they need a replacement for Wood/Wada. Not an Ace. Arrieta has taken on that role now. Lester has fallen to his natural #2 spot and Hammell has upped his game to become a #3 in the league. A vet like Richard is a fit for the rotation this year. Next year yes they should gun for Price after they clear some payroll; via shedding Wada$4M, Motte $4.5M, Fowler$9.5M, Coghlan$2.505M, Denorfia$2.6M, and Wood$5.685M.

That is 28.79 Mil that can will be shed this offseason. To boot they can replace Wood with Rosscup, Move Bryant and Schwarber to the OF and Baez to 3B removing Fowler and Coghlan. Removing Denorfia and Herrera and adding Alcantara and Szczur. Motte out with Edwards replacing,

They have to look outside not at all. They have to trade out, not a thing.

If it aint broke....don't fix it.

So In view of this they are better off retaining talent. Go after Price and then shuffle the players to put out a optimum line up.

The faster they get past this Schwarber is a catcher kick the better off the team will be.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, Rizzo needs a day off. It just never seems like a good time.

Hopefully yesterday was a sign of Bryant heating up.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bias?

From the video on him he was moving his fastball around all day and constantly around 90-92 MPH. His stat line looked pretty legit. He is a upgrade from Wada and Wood.

The thing is they need a replacement for Wood/Wada. Not an Ace. Arrieta has taken on that role now. Lester has fallen to his natural #2 spot and Hammell has upped his game to become a #3 in the league. A vet like Richard is a fit for the rotation this year. Next year yes they should gun for Price after they clear some payroll; via shedding Wada$4M, Motte $4.5M, Fowler$9.5M, Coghlan$2.505M, Denorfia$2.6M, and Wood$5.685M.

That is 28.79 Mil that can will be shed this offseason. To boot they can replace Wood with Rosscup, Move Bryant and Schwarber to the OF and Baez to 3B removing Fowler and Coghlan. Removing Denorfia and Herrera and adding Alcantara and Szczur. Motte out with Edwards replacing,

They have to look outside not at all. They have to trade out, not a thing.

If it aint broke....don't fix it.

So In view of this they are better off retaining talent. Go after Price and then shuffle the players to put out a optimum line up.

The faster they get past this Schwarber is a catcher kick the better off the team will be.
Nope.. just think a better team then miami would've done more damage. ..

Im fine with him as a replacement for wada/wood spot in rotation. ..

Your missing my whole point though. ....

IF the cubs are still looking to upgrade their rotation as they were to be looking to add a MOR type starter, then obviously Richards who their not really invested in and only cost them some money, will be the odd man out ...

He was just added because of injuries and no better replacement ready in system and it cost them nothing but money...
he definitely not their origional choice of upgrading the rotation , to which im sure their still looking into. .

If their legitimately going for a playoff run, doubt they take their chances on a Clayton Richards now and allow the deadline to pass without upgrading from him...

I would definitely keep him for depth purposes in organization if possible. .
He may be a chip in a deadline trade...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How can anyone say Clayton Richard is better than Wada or Wood?

Clearly Wada has not gone deep enough into games, and Wood has struggled. But Richard pitched one game and allowed 8 hits in 6 IP. I was very happy he kept Miami to just a couple runs, and that we won the game. But he wasn't exactly Cy Young out there.

Maybe he CAN be better than Wada/Wood. let's hope so. But let's not go crazy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How can anyone say Clayton Richard is better than Wada or Wood?

Clearly Wada has not gone deep enough into games, and Wood has struggled. But Richard pitched one game and allowed 8 hits in 6 IP. I was very happy he kept Miami to just a couple runs, and that we won the game. But he wasn't exactly Cy Young out there.

Maybe he CAN be better than Wada/Wood. let's hope so. But let's not go crazy.

All I said better than Wada/Wood. That is not saying much. Wada has a few nice games but in general had a hard time getting past the 2nd time through a line up. Wood has lost his ability to locate his pitches. Richards is proven with a history going on. He got injured and now people are looking at him as he is cast off waste. I really do not see he dislike here.

Clayton Richard is a back of the rotation LH pitcher. His last full season pre-injury was 2012 14-14 3.99 ERA 218.0 IP. 2013 he made only 11 starts until his arm gave out. He is back now and I'm just waiting to see if he can continue.

Now if he falles short then sure look for plan B or plug Wada back in. Still I believe the Cubs are better off holding the deck and dealing in the off season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fowler should start doing pushups for all these pop ups

CSF77

Liked Posts:
BTW the only guy I feel thay should lose talnet to get is Cole Hamels. But, with Price on the market after the yearit would be stupid to lose talent. Now if Price extends before the season closes then they should look into making a deal for Cole.

The 'need' for the Cubs is not an ace starter right now. It is to get inning off of the pen. Arrieta has put himself into to the top 20 SP convo right now and most teams would feel good about him opening up a series if he was on their staff. Hammel at this point stands up to many staff's number 2 starters. Lester has to become more stable. There is not much else to say about that. I am fine with those 3 leading the way. Herndricks has been pretty good as the 4th man.

Now when this whole O situation settles. (as it should) then they can start to look into next year needs. Price becomes target #1. I would run: Baez 3B, Soler RF, Rizzo 1B, Bryant CF, Schwarber LF, Castro SS, Pitcher, Russell 2B. Then rush job Happ to the majors. When he motes decide what works better Happ at 2B or CF. Trade Castro and move Russell to SS. Let the best D work at that point.

See that is a good game plan looking ahead. No need to trade out anything. And trust me Baez would be a prime target. Add to it Schwarber is in the same boat now. And unless it is Joey Gallo and the Deshelds kid as a return not wanting it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
2 outs. Nobody on. Pitcher up in 8th spot. Works well. Real batter up 1st in bottom of 3rd.