IST: Cubs vs Reds

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Look you all know where i stand..

Just too many IFs going on right now

I say this a lot and I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's baseball. The 2016 team is about as close as you come to a team without flaws in modern baseball. And even then you still had people nitpicking at them pre-all star break. My aim here isn't for people to never be disappointed in the team. I get that. My aim is for people to roll with the punches and know when to chalk up a bad series or game to just a bad series or game and stop trying to make it out to be an indictment of some fatal flaw in the team.

You can say there's too many "ifs" but that fails to recognize every team in baseball has "ifs." NYY are the best team in baseball in terms of win% and they have Tanaka and Gray as major holes right now. The difference between the two teams is the Yankees have scored 29 more runs and gave up 10 more runs though I would add it appears the AL is a far weaker league this year top to bottom. 9 of the bottom 15 teams in the majors in run diff come from the AL including 5 of the bottom 7. And again, that's with the cubs playing "poorly." If all you ever see is the bubble that is the cubs then it's easy to miss this large context.

Going back to the 2016, people don't seem to realize how rare that team was. It's incredibly rare to A) have a team who is dominant B) have that team be fairly dominant wire to wire and C) have that dominant team win the world series. That's not how baseball works. It's a game of peaks and valleys.This consistently good team you seem to crave is an illusion. In a typical MLB season they don't exist. A typical 95 win team is a team that will go 20-10 one month and then go 15-15 another. Hell even that 2016 team went 12-14 in July. It's just that they went 17-5, 18-10, 16-12, 22-6 and 17-10 in the other months.

In closing, all I'm asking here is for people to stop getting so high on the highs and so low on the lows. The peaks are never as great as people think and the valleys are never as bad.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I say this a lot and I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's baseball. The 2016 team is about as close as you come to a team without flaws in modern baseball. And even then you still had people nitpicking at them pre-all star break. My aim here isn't for people to never be disappointed in the team. I get that. My aim is for people to roll with the punches and know when to chalk up a bad series or game to just a bad series or game and stop trying to make it out to be an indictment of some fatal flaw in the team.

You can say there's too many "ifs" but that fails to recognize every team in baseball has "ifs." NYY are the best team in baseball in terms of win% and they have Tanaka and Gray as major holes right now. The difference between the two teams is the Yankees have scored 29 more runs and gave up 10 more runs though I would add it appears the AL is a far weaker league this year top to bottom. 9 of the bottom 15 teams in the majors in run diff come from the AL including 5 of the bottom 7. And again, that's with the cubs playing "poorly." If all you ever see is the bubble that is the cubs then it's easy to miss this large context.

Going back to the 2016, people don't seem to realize how rare that team was. It's incredibly rare to A) have a team who is dominant B) have that team be fairly dominant wire to wire and C) have that dominant team win the world series. That's not how baseball works. It's a game of peaks and valleys.This consistently good team you seem to crave is an illusion. In a typical MLB season they don't exist. A typical 95 win team is a team that will go 20-10 one month and then go 15-15 another. Hell even that 2016 team went 12-14 in July. It's just that they went 17-5, 18-10, 16-12, 22-6 and 17-10 in the other months.

In closing, all I'm asking here is for people to stop getting so high on the highs and so low on the lows. The peaks are never as great as people think and the valleys are never as bad.
I agree...
Ill just ride the wave right now and see where it goes in July

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk