IST: Cubs vs Rockies

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Funny thing is Anderson struck out the side rest of the game the ball is in play. Vs Yu who is avg 2 SO per inning.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Funny thing is Anderson struck out the side rest of the game the ball is in play. Vs Yu who is avg 2 SO per inning.
What walks and homeruns will do to you...
Rockies look more potent then cubs today. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Pitching matchups highly favors the cubs this series..

Soooooooo

So much for that thought...

Didnt think the Sooooooo part would be real..lol
Rockies starters outpitched the cubs starters and shut down the cubs potent offense in 80 degrees temp with wind blowing at WF...

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Darvish's 2018 April looking a lot like Lester's 2015 April. It was silly to call Lester a bust then and it would be silly to say the same if Darvish now.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Apparently, Arenado was unhappy about getting SO to finish the game on Monday.

Russell continues to suck.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've always liked Goodman's home run call " Take a good look you won't see it for long " sadly i always get to hear that when the Rockies play against us

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. Fans can really be morons. Who the fuck cares this much about games in the first week of May? If they were 2-20....yeah ok maybe, but even then there are 140 games to go. Get a fucking life....

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Darvish's 2018 April looking a lot like Lester's 2015 April. It was silly to call Lester a bust then and it would be silly to say the same if Darvish now.
We can only hope for the best cause theyll need him if their going to do anything this year..

Gotta question if anyone knows..

I noticed Darvish cut out the hesitation and some funky stuff he does with his delivery..
Is this his own doing or Hickey suggestions..
Do we think changing up his normal routine is having an affect on him

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
We can only hope for the best cause theyll need him if their going to do anything this year..

Gotta question if anyone knows..

I noticed Darvish cut out the hesitation and some funky stuff he does with his delivery..
Is this his own doing or Hickey suggestions..
Do we think changing up his normal routine is having an affect on him

Supposedly it was mutual. Bleacher nation had a post on it like 2-3 days ago.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Supposedly it was mutual. Bleacher nation had a post on it like 2-3 days ago.
I know it ST and all but he looked a whole lot better then doing all that stuff then he does now...

Maybe they should just leave him alone and let him do what comfortable

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Here's my take on Darvish... he's not the guy he will be yet. Main thing with his stats appears to be his walk rate and thus lack of command. He's at a 4.80 bb/9. Now you could say "that's worrying" but idk.... i think it's just a guy who's not at midseason form yet. In his 2 seasons back from TJS his walk rate was 2.78 and last year split between two teams 2.96/2.36. His career rate is a touch higher at 3.36 but think you can argue more recent results are more accurate here.

The good is his K rate is as good as ever. He's also got a 66.5 % strand rate which is really low. His career rate is 76%. In other words, he's had a bunch of guys score who normally wouldn't because of bad sequencing. Also his contact rates look good. His hard contact is down 7% from 2017 and 4% from 2016. Before today his HR/FB rate was also down but a day like today nearly doubled it.

I'd have to dig farther into the data than I care to do right now but I saw someone mention an interesting idea with regard to Darvish's walk rate. The idea was his stuff has so much movement and Contreras is new to catching him that it may be sapping some of what you'd normally expect framing wise. Contreras isn't elite there to begin with. Given Caratini hasn't exactly torn the cover off the ball, it might be worth giving Gimenez a shot in an effort to "fix" Darvish.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I know it ST and all but he looked a whole lot better then doing all that stuff then he does now...

Maybe they should just leave him alone and let him do what comfortable

Well I don't remember exact quotes but the gist of what they said is Hickey didn't see the point in it and I think there was some worry it may tire him more/throw off his mechanics during a start.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well I don't remember exact quotes but the gist of what they said is Hickey didn't see the point in it and I think there was some worry it may tire him more/throw off his mechanics during a start.
Ok..
It not quite working lol

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They simplified his delevery. It took more effort to use it.

All said. Shitty game. Rocks are not a bad team at all

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling that if the Cubs had taken 3/4 from the Brewers and 2/3 from the Rockies the mood around here would be drastically different. Fan psychology is a funny thing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling that if the Cubs had taken 3/4 from the Brewers and 2/3 from the Rockies the mood around here would be drastically different. Fan psychology is a funny thing.
For me it more about seeing them playing up to their expectations and the frustrations of overall struggles and inconsistencies..

Plus seeing certain guys struggle out of the gate tend to put a damper on things..

Maybe were a little spoiled after the last 3 years and just expect more and when we dont see it, it just aggravating because of the high expectation we as fans have for this team now..

I looked at the April Schedule and expected 7-8 wins right off the bat with the teams they played and our pitching and hitting matchups..
Figured we cruise through april and never look back..lol

On paper they look to run away with this division and im confidence they will at some point..
Just hope we dont have to wait til July to see them get started again..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
To me you don't look at individual games or individual series. I look at two things. One do you think the team is good enough to make the playoffs? They are currently on a 95 win pace with Rizzo not yet hitting and several others like Heyward Happ and Russell who i think could get going so.... that's an easy yes. The second question I would ask is how does this team match up in playoff baseball. Assuming at the very least Rizzo comes back which is about as slam dunk as it gets for guys struggling and also assuming guys like Schwarber Baez and Almora may fall off but hold a good deal of the gains with some of the guys who aren't killing it doing the opposite then i love the hitters for the playoffs. Edwards and Morrow look lights out at the back end of the bullpen and the rest has been more than functional. I wouldn't entirely be opposed to adding one arm or someone like Alzolay later in the season to give another umph.

As for the pitching, Hendricks and Lester look like Hendricks and Lester. Chatwood from a stats perspective is one of the weirdest guys I've ever seen this year because he's basically a guy who either walks you or strikes you out and will often get double play grounders to get out of innings. As #5's go I'd love to see his walk rate fall to his career norm but I'll take what he is. Q looks a lot better the past couple of starts. And as for darvish like I said, looks like he's just not figure out his command yet this season.

So, to put this all into context, that staff is good enough to make the playoffs. I don't necessarily care if Darvish is amazing right now so long as he eventually finds it. Also for what it's worth, last season in Mar/Apr he had a walk rate of 3.96 with May being 3.77 and then proceeded to have a 1.69 walk rate in June, a 2.40 walk rate in july, a 2.74 walk rate in August, and a 2.03 walk rate in september. That also mirrors his career rates to an less extreme extent. Mar/Apr he's 3.76, May he's 3.47 and then the next 3 months drops to 3.22-3.28 with september being 3.05.

Obviously you'd like to run out a big lead like they did in 2016 but let's not forget even that team was fucking horrible for about a month before the all-star break.