IST: Pirates vs Cubs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Baez really frustrates me. He's gotta be one of the weirdest players in baseball history. He'll make some plays that leave you amazed. And then you look at his current OBP as a 25 year old with 1500 PAs and it sits at .279 and you wanna pull out your hair. I'm not sure I have the right personality for the roller coaster of emotions he puts me through.

When he walked a week or so ago, for the first time since April 7, he seemed proud to say how he won't take a walk, and was "defending himself" for having done so, explaining that the ball was so bad he could not swing.

If he walked, he'd be a star.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
When he walked a week or so ago, for the first time since April 7, he seemed proud to say how he won't take a walk, and was "defending himself" for having done so, explaining that the ball was so bad he could not swing.

Right, but his slump basically started with the walk. He already is a star. Watch the OPS and the RBI's and dont define a superstar by walking.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
be great to just pull away from the brewers by beating the brewers and not look back.

Cant get over the fact how Joe fixes a lineup, gets production, then fucking changes it and nobody bitches.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Right, but his slump basically started with the walk. He already is a star. Watch the OPS and the RBI's and dont define a superstar by walking.
Point is...
If he didn't swing at every pitch and took more walks or even worked the count better, he would get more hittable pitches and have better all around stats...

Pitchers know when their ahead of him on the count they don't need to throw anything near the plate...
Yes some make the mistake and get the plate or too close and he hits it but more times then not he gets himself out by swinging at high balls or breaking stuff off the plate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I blame Joe for leading off with him. He has 0% lead off skills to bring to the table.

On a day like today Happ would have been a better choice as he is a inefficient lead off vs not one at all.

As far as the pen: Duesing’s SO rate has been a concern this year for me. His stuff is hittable. It really comes down to him locating his pitches to force weak contact as his stuff is not good enough.

Going in I felt that this game was a mulligan. Kinda a tough luck but Kyle needs to go into the 6th around 60 pitches for Joe not to short leash. I’m feeling that Joe doesn’t like guys getting a 3rd look as Kyle lacks hard stuff.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I don't.

I just know he can't be a star with a sub-.300 OBP.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
disliked for Mike Murphy reference...
db26549ebf14cb05e73fc1bd9b6c0397.jpg

At least there is someone here with a sense of humor, LOL. Most everyone else cries about something no matter if the Cubs win or lose....always reminds me of that idiot Murphy. I once heard him moan and bitch for half his show about a manager's decision in a blowout 9-0 loss.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least there is someone here with a sense of humor, LOL. Most everyone else cries about something no matter if the Cubs win or lose....always reminds me of that idiot Murphy. I once heard him moan and bitch for half his show about a manager's decision in a blowout 9-0 loss.

Murphy is THE consensus biggest asshole among Chicago sports talk personalities.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1-3 hitters through four innings: 6-7 (.857), two runs, two RBI.

Just cause the dealer has a four and you hit 16 and draw a four does not mean your move was right.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Point is...
If he didn't swing at every pitch and took more walks or even worked the count better, he would get more hittable pitches and have better all around stats...

Pitchers know when their ahead of him on the count they don't need to throw anything near the plate...
Yes some make the mistake and get the plate or too close and he hits it but more times then not he gets himself out by swinging at high balls or breaking stuff off the plate

The "excuse" for leading him off was Nova is always around the plate and swinging was mostly going to be at close pitches. I really dont know why people want him to take strikes? There is no fucking way he is getting the benefit from ups on close pitches. You make it sound so easy at cutters coming in at 95 and having so long to decide.

Why is LaStella so good? He cheats the back line of the box. gets that extra few inches to see pitches. That is one adjustment Javy has not made, but he might kill a catcher with his back swing if he does.

All these whiny excuses will hold more weight next year when he hits arby and starts to get paid.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Just cause the dealer has a four and you hit 16 and draw a four does not mean your move was right.

You're right.

Now please explain what was wrong with that batting order.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The "excuse" for leading him off was Nova is always around the plate and swinging was mostly going to be at close pitches. I really dont know why people want him to take strikes? There is no fucking way he is getting the benefit from ups on close pitches. You make it sound so easy at cutters coming in at 95 and having so long to decide.

Why is LaStella so good? He cheats the back line of the box. gets that extra few inches to see pitches. That is one adjustment Javy has not made, but he might kill a catcher with his back swing if he does.

All these whiny excuses will hold more weight next year when he hits arby and starts to get paid.

I think you’re unfamiliar with the player we are discussing.

People want Javy to lay off pitches he has no business swinging at. Nobody is talking about pitches in the zone.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Corey Patterson was a more productive player through his first five years than Baez has been. Superstar!

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Not about him taking strikes..
More about him recognizing pitches and how pitchers are pitching him, especially with 2 strikes...

He could be an even better and dangerous hitter once he able to do that. .

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Just pointing out that trumpeting a three inning sample size is foolish

It's not so much trumpeting a three-inning sample size as it is mocking pre-game lineup criticism.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Corey Patterson was a more productive player through his first five years than Baez has been. Superstar!

Patterson was not even close defensively. Baez is a defensive superstar does things nobody has ever done before with his glove.

I dont know how people would handle Baez if he learned how to walk, he would be the best player on this team over KB, Rizzo, Lester, Contrares, be demanding Trout money, harper money, you people would explode.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's not so much trumpeting a three-inning sample size as it is mocking pre-game lineup criticism.

Which he has a point, you do not bat your 3,4,5 type hitter at leadoff. Madden's been lucky hitting 16, he shouldn't be doing that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Patterson was not even close defensively. Baez is a defensive superstar does things nobody has ever done before with his glove.

Not many break electronic equipment in the dugout behind the foul line between home plate and first. That part is true.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Hyperbole.

I dont know how people would handle Baez if he learned how to walk, he would be the best player on this team over KB, Rizzo, Lester, Contrares, be demanding Trout money, harper money, you people would explode.

But he hasn't. Which is sort of the inescapable point here. Baez has tremendous potential value. His actual value as a ballplayer is dramatically short of that.

Which he has a point, you do not bat your 3,4,5 type hitter at leadoff. Madden's been lucky hitting 16, he shouldn't be doing that.

Sure, you don't do that if it's the 1970's and you're building your lineup like a 1970's manager with a head full of sub-optimal baseball ideas. But it isn't. The #1 hitter gets more PAs than any other spot in the lineup; putting your best hitter #1 is not bad baseball. If you don't want to bat him #1, you bat him #2, which is the spot that gets the next most PAs in the lineup. You certainly don't bat him #3, because that spot gets fewer PAs than either the #1, #2, or #4 spots. Unless you want to give your best hitters fewer PAs, which is a "strategy" of a kind, I guess...