IST: White Sox v Athletics

How Many Games Will the White Sox Win?

• Sweep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3

• 0 ... Dang it, wait til next year already?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Game 1: Chris Sale v Sonny Gray
Game 2: Jose Quintana vs Rich Hill
Game 3: Carlos Rodon vs Chris Bassitt
Game 4: Mat Latos vs Kendall Graveman

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=360404111

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Chris Sale cherishes taking the ball on opening day. He lives for that moment, with the energy, the fanfare, hope abounding.

Last year, he didn't get that chance as White Sox manager Robin Ventura chose Jeff Samardzija. And Ventura said it wasn't necessarily a decision about how his ace was pitching, but rather a consideration of preserving Sale's health for the long haul after he'd been slowed during spring training by a fractured right foot.

It didn't keep Sale from setting a franchise record with 274 strikeouts during a lost season in which Chicago went 76-86.

Sale will take the ball in Monday night's opener against the Athletics in the Oakland Coliseum ready to build on his stellar year.

"It's probably the closest to a playoff atmosphere that I've ever been in," Sale said. "Just the energy, I mean, it's like the first day of school. Everybody loves the first day of school, the first day of most things. It's exciting. The fans are into it. Players really enjoy it. Just a great day as a whole."

A's right-hander and 26-year-old ace Sonny Gray earned his third straight opening day nod after 14-win seasons in each of his first two full years in the big leagues.

Oakland finished last in the AL West at 68-94 after three straight playoff berths and isn't expected to do much better in 2016.

"Being home, that's when it's like, `Man, the season's really here," pitcher Chris Bassitt said. "Obviously Sonny Game 1, and let's just get it going from there."

Oh, the A's are used to this by now. Go ahead and list them in last place before the season even starts.

Oakland begins another season with low outside expectations and thoughts that the low-budget club will be at the bottom of the AL West and perhaps even the American League.

"We've always been a team that runs a little bit under the radar," manager Bob Melvin said. "It certainly doesn't hurt. I'd hate to think that we can't perform with expectations, but this team's always been in past years a team that has not really at the beginning been expected to do much. We're fine with that chip."

The A's are counting on their revamped bullpen to back the starters after Oakland went a majors-worst 19-35 in one-run games last year.

After Oakland concluded its preseason Bay Bridge Series by beating the San Francisco Giants 4-1 on Sunday, the opening day preparations began in earnest as the stencils were pulled out for the painting of the grass.

"When you open up at home and you finish up the last game at home here you can't help but look around and think about what it's going to look like on opening night," Melvin said.

Sale is the first of three straight left-handers Oakland gets to start the year, meaning Melvin might not be mixing and matching his lineups right away.

"We expect everybody to be ready," Melvin said. "Again, we're built for 25 guys."

No matter the expectations from anybody else.

"Maybe there's a little bit of chip on some guys' shoulders when you're not expected to do well," Melvin said. "Internally, that's not the way we look at it. Pressure's part of the game. You have to be able to perform in pressure."

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just watched the highlights. Looks like everything went like expected, solid pitching but the hitting still not there at 100% but a W is a W

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I just caught the highlights myself as I only made it awake thru some of the top of the 3rd. Pitching was fine. Could be a little crisper. Saw a great catch by Austin to end the 2nd. The OF defense might be above average this year. I think Q throws a gem tonight.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just caught the highlights myself as I only made it awake thru some of the top of the 3rd. Pitching was fine. Could be a little crisper. Saw a great catch by Austin to end the 2nd. The OF defense might be above average this year. I think Q throws a gem tonight.

IT was pretty clear to me yesterday that they still could use a left handed bat in the middle of the line-up but that being said, our defense is much better, in fact, leagues better than last year's team. Another positive showing was the bull-pen make-up. Nate Jones, for example, was awesome yesterday. WHen he has his control, hitters really don't have a chance against the guy. I also enjoyed Robertson paint the corner three times in a row on the A's guy. Great stuff to see:)

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Another no-decision for Q

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Q deserves better. I still say he crosses 10 wins. The guy pitches like a 15 game winner.

We need to take one of these next two. I do not like our chances tonight. Gray > Rodon even if Gray has an 8.10 ERA against us in his career.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I concede that this largely means nothing concrete and is entirely based on my perception which could certainly be biased, but it does feel like there's a much different attitude with the team this year, and I think that's a good thing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I concede that this largely means nothing concrete and is entirely based on my perception which could certainly be biased, but it does feel like there's a much different attitude with the team this year, and I think that's a good thing.

I agree and I think that it may be caused by the mew additions that they brought in. All of them appear to be big time upbeat guys, especially Lawrie who may prove to be a huge catalyst.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
While it was a great pitching performance by Rodon and the Sox did face one of the better pitchers in Gray, I am concerned about the offense. It's 80+ degrees and the boys aren't hitting. They are about to come home to bitter wet coldness and I do not see an improvement.

I'm also very concerned now about Avisail Garcia. Whatever he was doing in ST seems to have been left there. This give the team a lot of flawed pieces in the OF. Melky can't field or hit. Avi can't hit or field. Eaton can't throw. Austin Jackson can't hit. :smh:

And let's not forget. We are playing the worst team in the AL right now. :smh:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just too damn cold for baseball. Not what Abner had in mind.

Windchills in the 20's today, no need to even wear a cup.

Last edited:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I know the A's suck and all but opening the season with a 3-1 series feels pretty damn good.

It definitely provides some relief for my nerves about the season, especially when you consider how last year started.