Jake lands in Philly

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Arrieta has reportedly agreed to terms with the Phillies.

I consider this great news for both the Phillies and the Cubs, as he stays away from teams contending in 2018.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I’ve been saying this was a great fit since the beginning. Now they’re a fringey contender for the WC. I’d say 80-82 wins and could improve at the deadline.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They're a team on the way up. I don't have a good feel for how close they are, but their division, after the Nats, stinks, so they should get some wins just for that reason.

They're a team that we have no natural reason to root against, so I can root for him. I would not mind seeing him win another Cy Young, except for all the whiners that would blast the Cubs. So, maybe just another no-hitter. :)

But I had this fear that he'd go to the Nats, or St. Louis would get a brain and sign him, but they are happy to pretend they made meaningful moves, and still save their money. Their fans will buy 3 million tickets, so why spend more?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They’re a year away unless they get lucky. I think they could be better than the Mets unless all of the NY pitchers are great

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kinda pointless unless they sign Cobb also. Those 2 and Nola makes a solid rotation

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But if they are sitting back waiting MadBum it would be a franchisee move. Jake is about a 16 win pitcher on avg. or a 2/3 guy.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Jake is the modern day Rick Sutcliffe. Good luck to him and thanks

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
wow, 3/75, wonder how the crow is for boreass.

Per Jon Heyman dollars are 30,25,20 can opt out after 2 and can go as long as 5 and be worth 125 to 135.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm just glad he didn't land in Milwaukee or St. Louis!!!

I’ve been following their rebuild closely and I like them. I like both Eickhoff and Velasquez and Nola could be a fine #2. Plus I think Gabe Kapler is going to be a great manager.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Darvish deal looks like a steal now!!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly 30/25/20 is what he should get. Front load it while in his prime and lowered as he ages. 3 years puts him at 34-35 YO where he can put a career Ender as a back end option.

He started pretty late as a pitcher and it is expected that his earning time would be shorter.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm just glad he didn't land in Milwaukee or St. Louis!!!

well, no saying he might not get traded there either. I think alot of these teams bowed out with Boreass and his lofty demands. Now the deal is set and he will cost 45 over two seasons I can see him being moved. But Philly was really tough to play against for the cubs last year, so they are doing this under the radar rebuild and Jake is what they need to put a leader in that clubhouse, and his worth in work ethic is going to pay dividends. Its good that Washington will have a tougher time getting to that home field throughout the playoffs again, but I did not hear about a no trade clause yet so some team loses a starter and the top prospect goes to Philly. They did well being patient.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Honestly 30/25/20 is what he should get. Front load it while in his prime and lowered as he ages. 3 years puts him at 34-35 YO where he can put a career Ender as a back end option.

He started pretty late as a pitcher and it is expected that his earning time would be shorter.

If he pitches well in Philly it wouldn't be out of the question for him to get another 3/60 type deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he pitches well in Philly it wouldn't be out of the question for him to get another 3/60 type deal.

Lackey's deal comes to mind. He started late and all and keeps in shape. He might end up as another Bartolo honestly. Focus on location and pitching to lite contact and push into his 40's. Nothing really says that he can't He would be a bottom of the rotation arm towards the end.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Think he was looking at the AAV. Jake was 25 per. Yu 21 mil AAV. Jake got around market value IMO. For 3 years he is pretty much a ace on a lesser team and showed another dimension with his curveball setting up. I personally believe there is something to losing MPH when going to a cutter vs staying behind the ball with a 4 seam grip. Almost believe that he should stick with a high fastball-12/6 curve as a main combo then mix in a change vs lefties. Kinda ditch the slider/cutter combo as it is not a weapon as it was before. Maybe use it situationally but for the most part save the slider as a strike out pitch but go 4 seam/curve early count.

But over all 3 years starting at 30 then 25 then 20 is pretty decent. He has to ability to push 18 wins on a solid team. That team he can run out 15 wins.
numbers wise his stuff is less than it was but he has a knack of winning games. We have seen it here for a while. I just see him getting smarter as his stuff lessens and gets hitters to get them selves out.