James and Irving...trouble in paradise

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wade has never been confused with a point guard. While he may have dominated play, he never really played as a point guard in college or even in the pro's. Neither did Michael Jordan or Scottie Pippen yet plays ran through them for sure. You would never confuse any of them for a Westbrook or a Paul or Teague or Colllison. or an Irving. Guys who's entire existence on the b. ball court is defined with a ball in their hands. It will, in my opinion be harder for Irving to make the transition to either a point guard who chooses to assist or a spot up shooter, than it was for Wade to transition out of the ball like he did in Miami.

That did define Wade as a player. Do you NOT remember this stuff from 2010? Has the entire world gone mad? I just showed you stats that Wade may have been the most ball dominant player in the entire NBA for the two years directly preceding James coming to Miami.

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
That did define Wade as a player. Do you NOT remember this stuff from 2010? Has the entire world gone mad? I just showed you stats that Wade may have been the most ball dominant player in the entire NBA for the two years directly preceding James coming to Miami.

MJ is considered THE most dominating player to ever play in the NBA, but no one ever confused MJ with being a Point Guard. Irving is a point guard.

czman

Liked Posts:
I have not read through entire thread so if this has been stated, I agree with who stated it.

First, I don't think the issues is all about James and Irving. I honestly think this has more to do with Waiters. I have been watching a lot of the Cavs games (preseason and regular) and I noticed one giant issue.

Right now they have no one who wants to play in the weakside corner (who starts). Some has to fill that. Waiters is not willing to fill that. Love is in the pick/down low/on the wing. Irving and James have been filling that spot.

James should not be operating out of the corner unless he is kind of winded and wants a short beak without coming out. Teams should not have their PG in the corner often because it can lead to fast breaks. They really need Waiters needs to fill that spot.

Ultimately, they are not going to be nearly as good as they can be until they get someone to accept that role. Miller and Marion will do it, but I am not sure they are down the stretch players at this point of their careers.

Irving and James may be having a personality clash, but that will work itself out with winning. Getting someone one of these guys to be relegated to weak side corner floor spacer is the hard part. I kind of think that Waiters may have to get traded to make this work. Not sure who the Cavs can move him for though. Maybe Afflalo, if the Cavs give up a pick. The money does not match there would have to be throw ins.

I wonder If Ray Allen is planning on jumping out of retirement half way through the season and filling that spot.

Floor spacing seems to be there biggest problem on offense.

On defense they have physical limits. I think James has been worn down about the last few year with the minutes and load he has carried. Waiters and Love will never bee good defenders. Not sure if they have a team that will bring the defensive energy and skill every night in the regular season. That can be dangerous. Not all teams can just flip the switch once the playoffs start, and this Cavs team does not seem like one that will be able too. They have a lot of players who are young and don't really understand what it takes to win.

Final thought. James is still the best player in the league. Even with all of the minutes he has played. It is almost impossibly to think anyone in the East can get past the Cavs just because James is there and they do have talent.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
MJ is considered THE most dominating player to ever play in the NBA, but no one ever confused MJ with being a Point Guard. Irving is a point guard.

Do you not understand the difference between dominating the ball and being in general dominating?!?!!?!?

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last year Kyrie Irving was th 2nd worst starter in the NBA in catch and shoot-shooting percentage. He needs to ball hog-has always been a ball hog, and his game will go in the crapper if he is asked not to ball hog too much.

I am not alone in my assessment of the lil chucker.

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11837854[/video]

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
the Cavs are a total bust

Bulls will easily blow by them in the playoffs

im more worried about the Wizards

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think Irving is more like Allen Iverson as a player. Irving is a scorer, not a guy who runs the team on the court.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Irving is more like Allen Iverson as a player. Irving is a scorer, not a guy who runs the team on the court.

AI may have been a shoot first point guard, but KI is a shoot only point guard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
The Cavs aren't playing team ball. I'm sure Irving has been told to dominate the ball since elementary school...it's hard to break a habit. Hopefully for us he doesn't.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
cavs looking pretty damn good so far tonight

allot of ball movement

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
cavs looking pretty damn good so far tonight

ton of ball movement

That is because they are keeping the ball out of Kyrie's hands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
lol waiters

that 3 was so ugly in what has so far been good looking basketball from Cleveland