James Daniels moves to center

msadows

Liked Posts:
Centers a lot harder for a rookie to learn than left guard, or so I heard.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Centers a lot harder for a rookie to learn than left guard, or so I heard.

It is less the position and more getting comfortable with making the line calls. He was not even starter when the season began to begin with. He will have an entire offseason now.

@HawkBear !!!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think Hawkbear has been saying this for a good year now...

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Sorta reminds me of moving Kyle Long to Tackle. If you like fixing things why not try to fix the tackle spot AND the new guard problem you just created at the same time?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Sorta reminds me of moving Kyle Long to Tackle. If you like fixing things why not try to fix the tackle spot AND the new guard problem you just created at the same time?
What? Whitehair was a guard in college and we don’t have a “problem” at tackle

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's fine. I get why not last year. I actually like Whitehair at C but know Daniels offers more. The question becomes whether Whitehair can move people as well at G. Mitch getting a consistent spiral snap should help him get his reads faster.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Because Daniels is a natural center and Whitehair is sold in either spot.
James Daniels was a good guard last year.
Cody Whitehair was a good center last year.

I appreciate people wanting things to be better and thinking Daniels would be a better center or Whitehair a better guard, but wouldn't another year of experience in their current positions also have a chance of them being better this year at the same positions? They are both young and could have year over year improvements without position changes.

To me it seems like change for the sake of changing.

If it's a demotion that makes sense, meaning if Whitehair just isn't good enough to be the center, then yeah that's the right move. I didn't see that last season. He was an upper 1/2 center in the league.

Maybe here's another way of looking at it - How many bad snaps do you think Daniels will be allowed? The bar is set fairly high. What if he puts a shotgun snap past Mitch? Is it an immediate switch or is there now pressure for that not to happen again? Granted if things don't work out then you can just switch it back, but they would have lost practice time to improve at their 2018 positions, so I'd still be asking why the change in the first place?

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I appreciate people wanting things to be better and thinking Daniels would be a better center or Whitehair a better guard, but wouldn't another year of experience in their current positions also have a chance of them being better this year at the same positions? They are both young and could have year over year improvements without position changes.

If it's a demotion that makes sense, meaning if Whitehair just isn't good enough to be the center, then yeah that's the right move. I didn't see that last season. He was an upper 1/2 center in the league.

The Bears intended to play Whitehair at LG when he was drafted. He moved to Center when Grasu was injured. Daniels was considered a top Center prospect last off- season. It makes perfect sense. This is Nagy and Harry making this move not the bozos that were here prior.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Maybe here's another way of looking at it - How many bad snaps do you think Daniels will be allowed? The bar is set fairly high. What if he puts a shotgun snap past Mitch? Is it an immediate switch or is there now pressure for that not to happen again? Granted if things don't work out then you can just switch it back, but they would have lost practice time to improve at their 2018 positions, so I'd still be asking why the change in the first place?

The interior of the line wasn't good run blocking. If getting both players in their natural position can help with that then it's worth it.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The interior of the line wasn't good run blocking. If getting both players in their natural position can help with that then it's worth it.
Very valid point you have there.

You did trade away your best interior runner, so maybe some of those problems are scheme based?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no problem with this development. Should work out for them both.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

You did trade away your best interior runner, so maybe some of those problems are scheme based?

I appreciate what Howard did for the Bears. However, he wasn't too effective running between the tackles.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

I think there was a couple issues that have now been rectified with the moves this year.

1. The Bears moved to a slightly more "power" and away from a "zone" scheme (they ran both obviously but they ran less zone than previous years)- I think that Whitehair at G and Daniels at C makes more sense if you are moving towards that scheme. Whitehair can move people and is more physical than Daniels whose value is in his athleticism, ability to reach block and get to the 2nd level.

2. Howard was much better as a zone runner which is why they ran more of it towards the end of the year when they realised he wasn't as good in a power scheme.

3. Whitehair's snapping issues, while improved, are still a problem. Daniels is a more natural center. Will help with the passing game.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I hope they wait on that extension for whitehair to see how he does at lg. He hasn’t played lg since college

I didn’t see anything wrong with Daniels play at lg and whitehair play at c to make the move but it is their original positions