James Daniels moves to center

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well my post didn't mention Sowell or Mizzell, so I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. My overall point being, there are some in this thread who don't understand this position switch between Daniels and Whitehair, and I hope they aren't the same people who love the idea of Coward playing tackle.

Apologies, thread confusion.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This team's current staff have shown the ability to properly evaluate talent and have therefore earned my trust. If they have skimmed over the tape and find this move to be in the best interest of the team, I fully support it.

This is definitely a thoughtful and true statement. I second that support

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
How much do we think this can / will help the run game because it was atrocious as all hell last season.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty sure Whitehair was a T in college, who many projected as a G in the NFL. Then, he was forced into C duty, due to injuries to other OL, iirc. I think G is his natural position in the NFL and one many thought he'd move back to after the Bears drafted Daniels. Now that Daniels has a year under his belt within the offense, the Bears obviously feel this is best for all involved.

I think it solidifies what many thought last year after they drafted Daniels, he's a C and Whitehair is a G. Always nice to have multiple guys with the ability to play more than 1 position in case injuries happen.

Absolutely. If anything happens to Daniels we will have a "battle" hardened Whitehair at Center. If something happens to Both we will be paddle-less and up that proverbial creek but, they are trying to develop other contingencies with Coward and the young, new UDFAs

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope the people who are balking at this position change aren't the same people who thinks Coward's position change is a great idea.
Is that statement a tautologically mutually exclusive mental metaphor ? We can name it a GusAdolphi

Last edited:

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He probably played tackle in college because it was college. I suppose in an emergency he could play tackle, but he is not a real starting tackle in the pros.

I understand that. I'm not pining for him to play tackle in the NFL at any point in my posts. He was drafted and projected to be a G, then was moved to C out of necessity. Now after Daniels has a year under his belt, Whitehair gets to move back to G.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How much do we think this can / will help the run game because it was atrocious as all hell last season.
I think health and experience will help more than than the switch but it sure won't hurt. Another reason not to move Whitehair last season was how much help the Gs needed. Between Kush, an out of shape and injured Long, a rookie in a new position and Witzmann, too much change could have brought some significant missed or unaccomplished assignments..

Last edited:

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I really think that having Daniels there will open up the interior run game, especially considering having powerhouses on the left and right of him Whitehair and Long/Coward/Bar/Vet ?

dawags

Liked Posts:
Bears's website still has Daniels listed at 295lbs. Where's the beef block?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears's website still has Daniels listed at 295lbs. Where's the beef block?

I think Olin Kreutz has been running around the track with Daniels tryin to land a "haymaker" It keeps them Both under 300

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Um UDFA Mustifer is a 4 year starter out of Notre Dame at Center. I think they have a lot of OL options and if Bars gets healthy that would be awesome.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It is less the position and more getting comfortable with making the line calls. He was not even starter when the season began to begin with. He will have an entire offseason now.

@HawkBear !!!

I get that some people think it’s awkward, but there are multiple teams whose guard makes the line calls, not the center. Just pointing out.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Overall the run game was better over the last five games of the season. Having Daniels and Whitehair at their natural positions plus having runners that are a fit in the Nagy/Hiestand run game will help.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Overall the run game was better over the last five games of the season. Having Daniels and Whitehair at their natural positions plus having runners that are a fit in the Nagy/Hiestand run game will help.

Having a back that can move laterally in traffic will make the interior of the line look a lot better too.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Having a back that can move laterally in traffic will make the interior of the line look a lot better too.
Agreed......If the run game and OL is what we hope it to be it will take a lot of pressure off Trubisky. It will help him to further develop at his and Nagy's pace.

Liked Posts:
Love the move. Daniels really impressed me last year, & I thought Whitehair played his best football at left guard as a rookie. I do think this move will have the biggest impact for the better, of any of the position changes.

Ive wanted a standout Center since Kruetz was allowed to walk & called it a career. Now I believe the Bears have just that with Daniels.

The Bears should have one of the better overall starting fives on the O-Line this year if they stay healthy..

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even more so when you have an inexperienced QB.

Eventually, Trubisky will be heavily involved in the line calls and checks up front. Last season, he needed to be keeping his eyes on the coverage from the second they broke the huddle.

If by “eventually” you mean this year, I agree. MT should have a very good working knowledge of the position. We should expect that even with a mistake here or there. The position change is one that makes sense and I am fine with.

Liked Posts:
THey are both now back in their natural position
Exactly. Long hadnt played a snap at RT in the pro level before being moved to the position in pinch. Not to mention, even moving Long could have potentially went smoother had the Bears been afforded the chance to let him get practice & preseason reps at the position. Unfortunately they really difnt have a better option.

I thought Whitehair played a legitimate pro bowl LG, during his time at the position.

Even if Daniels botches some snaps, & I really dont believe he'll botch many. I loved the punch at the LOS Daniels had in the running game last year, & I hope to see it this year right from the center of the Oline.

Especially if they are going to continue with higher volume & influx of power man blocking with some zone too. If he can pull, lead block at the second level, & block back as well, with the synchronization anything like Kruetz, Ill shit a brick.

Gonna be a good offense this year, in large part because of finally having a legit starting 5. The only O- lineman that concerns me is Massie. But I do think the Bears have the potential to have the best interior linemen in the league, at least one of the better interiors.