Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He was on with Waddle and Silvy and said this trade may turn out to be an “all timer” for each team. He said Eloy might be enough to qualify the trade but he said if Cease is a top pitcher this will be one of the best or worst trades ever depending on which side you fall on.

I was at the game last night and thinking about it as Eloy was hammering the Yanks. I believe the Cubs are already regretting this move. It is going to sting for a long time.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was on with Waddle and Silvy and said this trade may turn out to be an “all timer” for each team. He said Eloy might be enough to qualify the trade but he said if Cease is a top pitcher this will be one of the best or worst trades ever depending on which side you fall on.

I was at the game last night and thinking about it as Eloy was hammering the Yanks. I believe the Cubs are already regretting this move. It is going to sting for a long time.

They weren't gambling for player development, the Cubs were gambling for a championship which can't be quantified in lost future value.

Quintana can still help them win a championship if he gets hot at the right time. For sure a hot and cold guy who gets hurt when he has too many base runners.

If the Cubs win a championship with him, then both teams win the trade because Cease couldn't have done that.

Not sure why they would trade Eloy at all though...I guess they were desperate and thought they were real close.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
They weren't gambling for player development, the Cubs were gambling for a championship which can't be quantified in lost future value.

Quintana can still help them win a championship if he gets hot at the right time. For sure a hot and cold guy who gets hurt when he has too many base runners.

If the Cubs win a championship with him, then both teams win the trade because Cease couldn't have done that.

Not sure why they would trade Eloy at all though...I guess they were desperate and thought they were real close.

I’m just glad they pulled the trigger. Quite frankly, I think Eloy could help them more than Jose in a quest for a title going forward. They needed to win in ‘17 or ‘18 for this deal to even have a chance of making sense.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m just glad they pulled the trigger. Quite frankly, I think Eloy could help them more than Jose in a quest for a title going forward. They needed to win in ‘17 or ‘18 for this deal to even have a chance of making sense.
agreed...and they should have found a closer somewhere instead.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

If the Cubs win the WS with Quintana on the roster and he pitches, then it's a win for both sides IMO. The Cubs really needed a cost-controlled starter at the time so it made sense.

Yes, Eloy is raking and looks like he's going to be a star. But it's possible both teams can win a trade.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If the Cubs win the WS with Quintana on the roster and he pitches, then it's a win for both sides IMO. The Cubs really needed a cost-controlled starter at the time so it made sense.

Yes, Eloy is raking and looks like he's going to be a star. But it's possible both teams can win a trade.

It looks like they paid a huge price for a cost controlled pitcher.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Kinda, I was more upset we let go of Cease. Eloy is more of a DH type. We have hitters and already had Heyward signed. He wasnt going to over take Schwarbs in left.

You have to be kidding. The Cubs would fall all over themselves if the Sox offered Eloy back for Kyle.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I dont think you have any clue what Theo thinks of Schwarber.

I know he’s incredibly intelligent and anyone with eyes can see the difference between the two and I actually like Kyle. It would be nice to have him as a left handed DH.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know he’s incredibly intelligent and anyone with eyes can see the difference between the two and I actually like Kyle. It would be nice to have him as a left handed DH.
Im not even arguing who is better or who will be better. Im just saying Theo has a monster man crush on him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quintana was, has been, and will be too good a pitcher to be talking about

"worst all-time"....

Absolutely in the White Sox situation after Sale was gone wasted the contract value Quintana had...its a great move for them. But the Cubs paid for 2017 dearly.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

When I assess a trade, I tend to pick a random moment in time and then disregard what has actually happened up to that point. Also, what if the Cubs win in 19? Would you still say the deal didn't make sense?

Eloy for Schwarber is a good one, too. Schwarber's biggest "value add" to the Cubs was the 2016 WS. He's been "meh" ever since, but the 2016 WS did actually take place. I don't think Eloy could have done the same in 2016.

So much revisionist history and nonsense...made me think I was in the Cubs forum for a moment.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
When I assess a trade, I tend to pick a random moment in time and then disregard what has actually happened up to that point. Also, what if the Cubs win in 19? Would you still say the deal didn't make sense?

Eloy for Schwarber is a good one, too. Schwarber's biggest "value add" to the Cubs was the 2016 WS. He's been "meh" ever since, but the 2016 WS did actually take place. I don't think Eloy could have done the same in 2016.

So much revisionist history and nonsense...made me think I was in the Cubs forum for a moment.

If they win in 2019 and Jose is a big contributor, it will help. I think the chance of that is the same as you not always being a snarky jag off.

Seriously, do you wake up in the morning acting like a douchebag or do you work your way up to it during the day? Let me ask you “Rory” would you have made that trade if you were the Cubs?

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The cubs made a bad blunder, but lets not put Quintana in the barry zito contract category. They knew they had something in eloy...they had a need and an immenent window...they got fleeced for it like everybody does.

Q has won games for them this month.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It was a over payment.

I doubt anyone would argue it. That is the level of talent to get a deGromm. Top 10 and a top 80 .

Even if they win a WS it doesn't change this trade from a value perspective.

I would have understood a fringe guy like De La Cruz pre test and Eloy. But not 2 ranked guys.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was a over payment.

I doubt anyone would argue it. That is the level of talent to get a deGromm. Top 10 and a top 80 .

Even if they win a WS it doesn't change this trade from a value perspective.

I would have understood a fringe guy like De La Cruz pre test and Eloy. But not 2 ranked guys.

I don't think anyone is arguing it was an overpayment. The Cubs probably overpaid for Eloy. But if they win another World Series with Quintana contributing, then that's fine. It can still be an overpay but work out at the same time.

Right now it's shifting towards the White Sox for the advantage, no doubt. But the Cubs have Q for a few more years too. Lots can happen.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they win in 2019 and Jose is a big contributor, it will help. I think the chance of that is the same as you not always being a snarky jag off.

Seriously, do you wake up in the morning acting like a douchebag or do you work your way up to it during the day? Let me ask you “Rory” would you have made that trade if you were the Cubs?

If the Cubs win the World Series in 2019, 20 or 21 and the White Sox never win it with Eloy, do you think Jed and Theo will be okay with that?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If the Cubs win the World Series in 2019, 20 or 21 and the White Sox never win it with Eloy, do you think Jed and Theo will be okay with that?

I’ll let you know in ten years. I’m not a Cub hater and was happy for their fans when they broke through but I don’t think they are winning another one with this nucleus. They need Kimbrel to be the real deal to have a chance this year.

If Theo and Jed trade Jose for Eloy and Cease they might have a shot to extend their window.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If they win in 2019 and Jose is a big contributor, it will help.

WTF is wrong with you? Just when I think you can't pose a more ridiculous scenario, you double down on your idiocy.

Do you honestly think that if the Cubs win the World Series this year, and lets say Quintana is the fourth starter in the WS and gets a no-decision, Cubs will fans bemoan the fact that Theo traded Jimenez for Quintana, because even though they won another WS its upsetting that Jose wasn't a big contributor?