Keith Law's thoughts on the Jackson signing and the Cubs' offseason

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think my favorite part of the off-season is the depth we've added in pitching. One thing people don't realize is that the depth we've added helps both short and long-term. Two things Keith Law echoed: our rotation is obviously more competitive. We finally have five quality, if not spectacular, starters who can grind out six or seven inning games. I also like that we haven't had to sacrifice any young assets in the process. I love the idea of creating "surplus value" with our new starters. It'd be safe to assume that at least one of the Garza/Baker/Feldman trio will be traded, which won't really hurt the roster this year or going forward. Hopefully Garza has a hot start to the season and we can flip him to a team in need of another front-end starter. A team like the Angels or Baltimore might end up hurting for another impact pitcher and come calling.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some people might not like it, but this also means that Samardzija could become a viable trade candidate.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Some people might not like it, but this also means that Samardzija could become a viable trade candidate.

I think he's got too much salary control (not arb. eligible until next year, free agency in 2016) for him to get dealt. Besides, he hasn't been consistent enough as a starter to warrant a long-term deal or become the centerpiece of a trade. I'd really like to see his control take another step forward and show that he can continue to get guys out swinging.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's got too much salary control (not arb. eligible until next year, free agency in 2016) for him to get dealt. Besides, he hasn't been consistent enough as a starter to warrant a long-term deal or become the centerpiece of a trade. I'd really like to see his control take another step forward and show that he can continue to get guys out swinging.

Understandable. But given last season's performance and if he can duplicate or improve upon that before even the waiver trade deadline, you gotta figure that the salary control you alluded to is going to return quite a bit in trade. They are probably at least considering it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Understandable. But given last season's performance and if he can duplicate or improve upon that before even the waiver trade deadline, you gotta figure that the salary control you alluded to is going to return quite a bit in trade. They are probably at least considering it.

If he can help the Cubs net Giancarlo Stanton or Mike Trout, I'm all for it :smug: :fap:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he can help the Cubs net Giancarlo Stanton or Mike Trout, I'm all for it :smug: :fap:

I doubt that happens :lol: But Samardzija and change could help the Cubs net Justin Upton or one of the next-tier OFs...