Keto and Intermittent Fasting

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It can get old, but watch the cauliflower crust. A lot of places due like 60/40 with flour being the 40.
Yeah, all the cauliflower crust I've seen in stores is pretty high in carbs so not getting the point. If they truly wanted to make it low carb, have to take the regular flour out and substitute with coconut or almond flour in the same manner Fathead crust is made for pizza.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen those in the stores, but never bought. They're frozen so pretty much pumped with terrible shit IIRC. How do they taste?

• No Artificial flavors or preservatives
I had doubts, but it was good.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I've seen those in the stores, but never bought. They're frozen so pretty much pumped with terrible shit IIRC. How do they taste?

Mashed fresh cauliflower is so easy, I can't see what the attraction is to frozen. As you said, it is likely loaded with a lot of crap.

"No artificial flavors or preservatives" - Really? Hmmmm.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
they serve cauliflower wings at some places around here

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mashed fresh cauliflower is so easy, I can't see what the attraction is to frozen. As you said, it is likely loaded with a lot of crap.

"No artificial flavors or preservatives" - Really? Hmmmm.
preservatives are far more likely in food that is not frozen. The act of freezing, alone, is enough to preserve it. Many now prefer buying vegetables frozen cause it goes directly from being picked to being frozen whereas you don't know how long fresh veggies have gone before you buy them or what they've encountered along the way.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ITT, we learn that Spartan goes to farmer's markets and/or picks/farms his own vegetables

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am getting bored with the same dinners.... looking for protein dinners that are quick/easy, in the realm of 10 minutes.

Most of my dinners are eggs with bacon made in the oven, or I've been doing bratwurst in the oven, eat with just mustard.

I imagine there are some decent chicken breast marinades/oven recipes, but every time I've tried that I didn't enjoy the chicken enough to keep making it, or the single chicken breast wasn't enough to feel like a meal.

Steak is another obvious option, I just suck at making steak, and in general I would need to grill it and thus spend 20 minutes heating the grill, and then standing there while the steak cooks so I can move it/flip it and check for doneness.... not that I won't or don't make steak but it isn't a great weekday option to me, I usually save it for the weekend and wind up disappointing myself with my well-done steak.

I did Italian sausage the other night.... pretty bland without condiments, so I wound up putting provolone cheese and some red sauce on it.

I was considering trying to make like a bread-less Philly cheesesteak.... make some peppers/onions and then the strips of steak... eat it like a bowl, but this would probably be quite laborous for a quick weekday meal.

If anyone has ideas, throw em at me.... but if they require more than 10 minutes of prep/cook time I probably won't consider them for weekdays, but weekends.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am getting bored with the same dinners.... looking for protein dinners that are quick/easy, in the realm of 10 minutes.

Most of my dinners are eggs with bacon made in the oven, or I've been doing bratwurst in the oven, eat with just mustard.

I imagine there are some decent chicken breast marinades/oven recipes, but every time I've tried that I didn't enjoy the chicken enough to keep making it, or the single chicken breast wasn't enough to feel like a meal.

Steak is another obvious option, I just suck at making steak, and in general I would need to grill it and thus spend 20 minutes heating the grill, and then standing there while the steak cooks so I can move it/flip it and check for doneness.... not that I won't or don't make steak but it isn't a great weekday option to me, I usually save it for the weekend and wind up disappointing myself with my well-done steak.

I did Italian sausage the other night.... pretty bland without condiments, so I wound up putting provolone cheese and some red sauce on it.

I was considering trying to make like a bread-less Philly cheesesteak.... make some peppers/onions and then the strips of steak... eat it like a bowl, but this would probably be quite laborous for a quick weekday meal.

If anyone has ideas, throw em at me.... but if they require more than 10 minutes of prep/cook time I probably won't consider them for weekdays, but weekends.
Condiments are allowed in the form of added oils like avocado, olive oil, vinegar, real butter and even main condiments such as mayo and ketchup (the one with no added sugar.) Preparing proteins quickly not a problem. Eggs take less than 5 minutes, generally want pasture raised there or anything better than the norm (free range, cage free.) Burgers and steaks don't take much longer to prepare. I've also had sausages that can be done in the microwave in a minute or 2. Like to put ketchup on them. Cooking bacon always easy too. Cooking burgers and steaks on stove is easy. Got 2 approaches here. Just cook once on both sides, at first waiting to see the blood seep up out of the top indicating it's time to flip it. other way is to flip it more often to better keep juices contained and less of a sear on either side. Still takes same short amount of time, just flipping it more often. Takes even less time if you like it rare as I do. Even cheese steak would seem simple as you'd use thinly sliced steak that would cook up even faster and then simply throw some pepper and onions in with it and melt some cheese over it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Condiments are allowed in the form of added oils like avocado, olive oil, vinegar, real butter and even main condiments such as mayo and ketchup (the one with no added sugar.) Preparing proteins quickly not a problem. Eggs take less than 5 minutes, generally want pasture raised there or anything better than the norm (free range, cage free.) Burgers and steaks don't take much longer to prepare. I've also had sausages that can be done in the microwave in a minute or 2. Like to put ketchup on them. Cooking bacon always easy too. Cooking burgers and steaks on stove is easy. Got 2 approaches here. Just cook once on both sides, at first waiting to see the blood seep up out of the top indicating it's time to flip it. other way is to flip it more often to better keep juices contained and less of a sear on either side. Still takes same short amount of time, just flipping it more often. Takes even less time if you like it rare as I do. Even cheese steak would seem simple as you'd use thinly sliced steak that would cook up even faster and then simply throw some pepper and onions in with it and melt some cheese over it.

So like for the Cheesesteak idea, I need to cut up onion and green pepper.... heat the pan.... all of it turns into a 20+ minute cooking exercise.

Not saying I can't or won't do it, just trying to avoid those on weekdays.

Burgers I've done.... I don't really enjoy them outside of a bun TBH.

I tried twice doing a meal which was cheeseburger with fried egg on top, but found it lacking.

I did buy the plain formed burgers from Jewel, where I had been making burgers using the Omaha Steaks frozen ones, so I might try it again with those... they are nice because they come vac-sealed and frozen, take one out at a time to cook.

I already do bacon and eggs.... already been doing sausage (bratwurst).... I did a couple brats with eggs to change it up.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
So like for the Cheesesteak idea, I need to cut up onion and green pepper.... heat the pan.... all of it turns into a 20+ minute cooking exercise.

Not saying I can't or won't do it, just trying to avoid those on weekdays.

Burgers I've done.... I don't really enjoy them outside of a bun TBH.

I tried twice doing a meal which was cheeseburger with fried egg on top, but found it lacking.

I did buy the plain formed burgers from Jewel, where I had been making burgers using the Omaha Steaks frozen ones, so I might try it again with those... they are nice because they come vac-sealed and frozen, take one out at a time to cook.

I already do bacon and eggs.... already been doing sausage (bratwurst).... I did a couple brats with eggs to change it up.
Want to be real lazy? By the onion and peppers already chopped from the store. They sell it like that in little containers. Doesn't take much to cut up a pepper real fast but stuff like onions and garlic can be annoying so I often get those already diced up.

Think I like burgers better without the bun but I like it rare and w/ a good amount of fat and also cheese which is gonna make it taste better. They do have both low carb bread and I think buns. The 647 Bread is the most common I see in stores. Low in net carbs and may be better to just use that sliced bread in place of rolls as rolls are higher in carbs and, I think, add too much bready taste taking away from the taste of the burger.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the weekend in the crockpot, boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork or beef roasts with peppers, onions, garlic etc or whatever. Adding chicken broth and Knorrs
1439 is one I do once in a while gives it a good flavor, but so many different ways to crock something. Re-heat on a weeknight for dinner.

I'm envious of the BGE owners but I have an old classic Weber kettle grill for longer grilling and a gas grill. I cook chops, burgers, steaks etc at least 3 nights a week on the gas grill very fast, no 20 minutes waiting on it to heat up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Ares, I’d love to help, but if grilling a steak is too much work, you’re not giving me much to work with.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Imagine asking for recipes with the caveat that you don't want to have to actually cook.

Swanson's.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ares, I’d love to help, but if grilling a steak is too much work, you’re not giving me much to work with.

Imagine asking for recipes with the caveat that you don't want to have to actually cook.

Swanson's.

I mean... if the ask was just "Dinner recipes" I can google that.

Step ya game up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I mean... if the ask was just "Dinner recipes" I can google that.

Step ya game up.

It has to be meat, but I don't want to spend time actually cooking it!
Anyone have any "instant meat" recipes?

C'mon, Ares. You've got to work - and besides, for a real man, cooking meat is not work.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@Ares

Do you like Tuna? I've done this before:

Mix Tuna, Mayo, lil mustard, lil lemon juice, salt pepper. Buy some romaine lettuce or ice burg lettuce. Tear off some big leaves, plop your tuna mixture in there for some lettuce wraps and there ya go. That is about as simple as you are going to get lol. You could hard boil some eggs on Sunday, since apparently any type of cooking is off limits for you during the week, and slice them bad boys up for the side.

Do you not have a gas grill? I could cook a steak in under 10 min.