Keto and Intermittent Fasting

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Ares

Do you like Tuna? I've done this before:

Mix Tuna, Mayo, lil mustard, lil lemon juice, salt pepper. Buy some romaine lettuce or ice burg lettuce. Tear off some big leaves, plop your tuna mixture in there for some lettuce wraps and there ya go. That is about as simple as you are going to get lol. You could hard boil some eggs on Sunday, since apparently any type of cooking is off limits for you during the week, and slice them bad boys up for the side.

Do you not have a gas grill? I could cook a steak in under 10 min.
Could do the same lettuce wrap with burgers for sure. Could also get some easy quick recipes to make extremely low carb, wheat free bread or flat bread/tortillas w/coconut or almond flour. Doesn't require a lot of work, just minimal effort.

I could also cook a steak in under 10 minutes on the gas grill, a bonus time saver is that I like it rare.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How hard do they work you that ten minutes for cooking good food is too much?

Good grief!

Cooking is not work.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How hard do they work you that ten minutes for cooking good food is too much?

Good grief!

Cooking is not work.
I like cooking. Gives me something to do and you can make some bomb ass food. If I could find a way to have my fridge full all the time and have someone clean up afterwards then I would like it a hell of a lot more.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think there's anything I cook that takes more than 10 minutes. I might put something in the oven for longer but that's something you can walk away from and just set a timer. And might spend more than 10 minutes cooking depending on how much I have to cook. If the kids want something different I'll make there's first and just snack on some of the stuff I have ready at the time. Things like bacon is much better to eat right away anyway so I'll make that up not only to use its grease for the rest of cooking but I think it tastes best when it comes right off the stove.

While cooking for others, it's also a good time to cut up some peppers and onions for my own stuff. Another idea for people who don't like burgers without buns is to just throw some ground beef in the pan w/peppers, onions, cheese, tomatoes and whatever else you like. Cooks even faster when ya keep it chopped up.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting piece about resistant starches...first I've ever heard them.

When you are on a dirty keto program, one of the most common complaints is by week 2 or 3 you are starving. More correctly, it is your microbiome that is starving.
Part of the way we blunt this hunger response is via resistant starches. In other words, starches that “resist” digestion. These are abundantly found in oats, green banana flour, legumes, and beans.
On a traditional ketogenic diet, with a standard Fat:protein:Carb ratio of 70–20–10, what I have often found is you are absolutely starving by about week 3 and will overeat and binge on protein, and carbs.
This is why most people “fail” at keto.
However, when we integrate fiber and resistant starches into the picture, this hunger response is blunted.
When in a state of ketosis (either through a fasted state or via a fasting mimicking diet like keto), consuming resistant starches does not disturb this state.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting piece about resistant starches...first I've ever heard them.

When you are on a dirty keto program, one of the most common complaints is by week 2 or 3 you are starving. More correctly, it is your microbiome that is starving.
Part of the way we blunt this hunger response is via resistant starches. In other words, starches that “resist” digestion. These are abundantly found in oats, green banana flour, legumes, and beans.
On a traditional ketogenic diet, with a standard Fat:protein:Carb ratio of 70–20–10, what I have often found is you are absolutely starving by about week 3 and will overeat and binge on protein, and carbs.
This is why most people “fail” at keto.
However, when we integrate fiber and resistant starches into the picture, this hunger response is blunted.
When in a state of ketosis (either through a fasted state or via a fasting mimicking diet like keto), consuming resistant starches does not disturb this state.
I don't know how resistant resistant starches actually are. Haven't seen any real studies on them, especially any that suggest they won't disturb the keto state. Yeah, they resist digestion but that just slows down the digestion and keeps the insulin spike from them a bit lower than normal. They are still digested.

Eating a diet so high in fat and/or basically nothing but Fat/protein is going to be far more satiating than a high carb diet. Implementing IF is also gonna get your body to resort to feeding on your own fat much quicker when there is no food coming in for a longer period of time so just getting your body to work in that way is also gonna mean you get hungry far less often and the high degree of hunger you'd have on a high carb diet will be a thing of the past.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's the full article

link
Interesting article I'd have to look more into. I don't have a problem anymore with getting hungry. I can go long periods without eating and feel no hunger at all but I do also eat a lot of vegetables, at least 6-8 cups daily. I can see where this could help others though who just concern themselves with the macros of keto and not the nutrients. Fortunately the keto sources I found early on stressed a lot of vegetables.

The RS they speak about is not the same as I was familiar with. Wasn't aware it could also cause other stuff you eat after the resistant starches to also have less of an affect as far as glycemic level. They also mention RS foods as being oats, green banana flour, legumes, and beans. Oats ok but I don't care for the others so would look more into the oats aspect of it. When I first learned of resistant starches it had to do with cooled down cooked potatoes. They don't become RS til they are cooled down after cooking. A lot more info in this article to digest though.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting article I'd have to look more into. I don't have a problem anymore with getting hungry. I can go long periods without eating and feel no hunger at all but I do also eat a lot of vegetables, at least 6-8 cups daily. I can see where this could help others though who just concern themselves with the macros of keto and not the nutrients. Fortunately the keto sources I found early on stressed a lot of vegetables.

The RS they speak about is not the same as I was familiar with. Wasn't aware it could also cause other stuff you eat after the resistant starches to also have less of an affect as far as glycemic level. They also mention RS foods as being oats, green banana flour, legumes, and beans. Oats ok but I don't care for the others so would look more into the oats aspect of it. When I first learned of resistant starches it had to do with cooled down cooked potatoes. They don't become RS til they are cooled down after cooking. A lot more info in this article to digest though.

Article also refers to Dr. Jason Fung as a source.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Almond milk in the morning just isn't the same. I bought a case of it and I am going to use it but it just isn't my favorite.

I think I might just have to go back to fairlife. If you haven't seen it yet, Fairlife milk is half the carbs of regular milk. So I can drink a cup of milk in the morning and its only 6 carbs.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Almond milk in the morning just isn't the same. I bought a case of it and I am going to use it but it just isn't my favorite.

I think I might just have to go back to fairlife. If you haven't seen it yet, Fairlife milk is half the carbs of regular milk. So I can drink a cup of milk in the morning and its only 6 carbs.
I get this Califia farms almond/coconut milk with no sugar but is a little sweetened with monk fruit. Good taste as does Good Karma Flax Milk. I always get unsweetened so the coconut/almond milk is 0 net carbs and the flax milk 1g. I've found these 2 taste the most like the regular dairy milk.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Almond milk sucks to just drink. It's only useful purpose is for cereal.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@Ares

Do you like Tuna? I've done this before:

Mix Tuna, Mayo, lil mustard, lil lemon juice, salt pepper. Buy some romaine lettuce or ice burg lettuce. Tear off some big leaves, plop your tuna mixture in there for some lettuce wraps and there ya go. That is about as simple as you are going to get lol. You could hard boil some eggs on Sunday, since apparently any type of cooking is off limits for you during the week, and slice them bad boys up for the side.

Do you not have a gas grill? I could cook a steak in under 10 min.

I do like tuna.... eggs are not a problem.... frying up eggs takes like 90 seconds.

I have a big ass grill, gas on one side, charcoal/smoker on the other.... steak is an option I just continually suck at making good steak lol

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
My friend started buying fresh prepared meals-forgot the company

Any of you lazy asses do this lol. I don’t and don’t think I will

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My friend started buying fresh prepared meals-forgot the company

Any of you lazy asses do this lol. I don’t and don’t think I will
Lol, no. Those types of places have been popping up all over the place though. I usually meal prep myself every Sunday and can make 5 meals for less than 10 bucks. Usually chicken (sometimes fish although people in the office get triggered when you heat up fish), riced cauliflower and some sort of mixed veggie/broccoli.

For a change up from that, I'll do ground beef or turkey with taco seasoning, homemade pico, some corn and rice.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You grill meat and meat has no carbs. It's a good thing. Replace that beer with hard liquor. Pure alcohols like whiskey, vodka, brandy, gin, and tequila have zero carbs and will get you to your happy place faster.
My favorite is a Moscow Mule with diet ginger beer.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol, no. Those types of places have been popping up all over the place though. I usually meal prep myself every Sunday and can make 5 meals for less than 10 bucks. Usually chicken (sometimes fish although people in the office get triggered when you heat up fish), riced cauliflower and some sort of mixed veggie/broccoli.

For a change up from that, I'll do ground beef or turkey with taco seasoning, homemade pico, some corn and rice.
I just got some meal prep containers yesterday. Gonna try and make a bunch of stuff Sunday. We will see how it goes.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I do like tuna.... eggs are not a problem.... frying up eggs takes like 90 seconds.

I have a big ass grill, gas on one side, charcoal/smoker on the other.... steak is an option I just continually suck at making good steak lol

Get your gas side good and hot.

Get a decent cut of steak, a Ribeye or a NY Strip.

Stab it a bunch with a fork on both sides.

Rub it with Olive oil, Salt, and Pepper.

Grill it for 3-4 minutes per side.

Set it on the counter for 5-7 minutes after it is done cooking.

Eat a delicious steak.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

If someone really bitched about this I would eat fish twice a day everyday until they quit.