Let's Put Theo and Jed to sleep

patg006

Liked Posts:
The only issue I had with your statement was that Milwaukee was not an example of mortgaging the farm, and well they clearly have.

And what pieces in the farm did they give up that would be indispensable to the team now?

Matt LaPorta??

Lorenzo Cain??

Alcides Escobar??

Jake Odorizzi??

Jeremy Jefferies??

Not one of those players is an upgrade to what they have on their roster right now.

And that statement is also clearly overlooking the fact that part of that 'mortgaging' of the farm system also ended up with them netting Jean Segura, who is far better than any of the players they traded away.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not terribly, but they have nothing to replace if any of their core guys go down. The roster is paper thin if they suffer injuries.

Sounds like the same situation cubs were in in 2011. . Vet players not much in system to replace them when they got hurt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Sounds like the same situation cubs were in in 2011. . Vet players not much in system to replace them when they got hurt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

When the Cubs get to .500, then we can start talking about other teams misfortunes.

It would be nice to not have to talk about who the Cubs might take in the draft every year because the parent team sucks that bad.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
When the Cubs get to .500, then we can start talking about other teams misfortunes.

It would be nice to not have to talk about who the Cubs might take in the draft every year because the parent team sucks that bad.

That would be nice... but while it wouldn't be a top priority for conversation, I'd still be pretty interested in hearing about draft options...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
That would be nice... but while it wouldn't be a top priority for conversation, I'd still be pretty interested in hearing about draft options...

Yeap! And it's not hard to tell what the Cubs did the previous year as gauged by the fans excitement of the draft. :yep:

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Then dont enter into the conversations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So Theo Baseball had an interview on MLB Network and said the Soriano trade benefited the Cubs :rofl:

Some other tidbits.
-They are waiting for the new TV deal before spending on the ML team.
-Baez and Bryant will likely be up before the TV deal.
-After renovations and the TV deal.....They will be able to "Drop the hammer down" and spend in all facets.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So Theo Baseball had an interview on MLB Network and said the Soriano trade benefited the Cubs :rofl:

Some other tidbits.
-After renovations and the TV deal.....They will be able to "Drop the hammer down" and spend in all facets.

Wow!
When is a new tv deal?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Wow!
When is a new tv deal?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Wait until next year.....

But thankfully fans want a reasonably quick fix, we're tired of being loveable losers.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Some other tidbits.

To be fair, Corey Black has been a pleasant surprise so far and cleared a tad bit of salary.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I couldn't give two shits if it is a "quick fix." We've waited long enough. I want sustained success. The last time the cubs put 4 back to back 80+ win seasons together was 67-72. Prior to that it was 26-39.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yes, but it is disheartening that there are so many conditions that must be met in order for them to spend money. Until then it's all about the prospects and lightning in a bottle.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yes, but it is disheartening that there are so many conditions that must be met in order for them to spend money. Until then it's all about the prospects and lightning in a bottle.

It appears to be more a case of being the right person to spend money on rather than conditions having to be met. However, with a 60-66 win team the past two years the "right player" isn't the same as an 85 win team trying to get over the final hump. They want someone who will still be relevant when the rest of the plan comes together. Obviously that sucks for the interim and it takes some faith to believe in a long term plan. If the end result is sustained success for 6-8 years then it will be worth the wait in my opinion. If not, it will be discouraging but at the very least the farm system should be good for whomever takes over next. I'm just tired of seeing these 2 year runs and then back to below average.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh, there have been some of the right FA's the Cubs just dont have any desire to spend at this moment. Will they? Dont know. I think daddy Ricketts is stepping in and he is all about the money.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Eh, there have been some of the right FA's the Cubs just dont have any desire to spend at this moment. Will they? Dont know. I think daddy Ricketts is stepping in and he is all about the money.

There's not been a lot in FA that I personally thought were great. Don't get me wrong, the wavier wire hopes we have now aren't necessarily good either. But if you talk about someone like Ellsbury who would have fit a need in the OF, his injury history would worry me off. Hamilton, Upton and Bourn the prior year weren't all that appealing to me either. I liked the idea of Choo when I thought he might go for less than $15 mil/year but at $18.5 mil? I feel like it's a case of a lot of good players being paid like elite ones. Maybe that's just the reality of FA anymore.

I guess I just feel like trades are far more effective ways of acquiring talent now and using the money to lock up better players long term. I feel like people focus far too much on FA and not enough on trades. I want to see this front office being more aggressive at adding players via trades. One of the things I really respect about Beane is that he's always active at the trade deadline getting something for the final part of the season as well as future.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It appears to be more a case of being the right person to spend money on rather than conditions having to be met. However, with a 60-66 win team the past two years the "right player" isn't the same as an 85 win team trying to get over the final hump. They want someone who will still be relevant when the rest of the plan comes together. Obviously that sucks for the interim and it takes some faith to believe in a long term plan. If the end result is sustained success for 6-8 years then it will be worth the wait in my opinion. If not, it will be discouraging but at the very least the farm system should be good for whomever takes over next. I'm just tired of seeing these 2 year runs and then back to below average.
Yep. I actually would like to see an organization that can reload like the Cardinals. I get the point of not doing it like Hendry built the club on FA and had very little in the farm.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There's not been a lot in FA that I personally thought were great.

Ganderson in the OF would look good out there. Ya he is slumping at .121 but it is more likely that he bounces back than Sweeney or Kalish putting up a season he has.

Dead topic. They do not want to spend. I'm surprised that they went after Tanaka as they did.

What they did that is working is bring in Hammel and Bonifacio. 3B with Bryant close you don't block it. a OF LH bat made sense.

So last offseason: Granderson
year before Liriano

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Dead topic. They do not want to spend. I'm surprised that they went after Tanaka as they did.

The guys they have gone after fit into a longer time frame. Darvish, Sanchez, Jackson, Ryu and Tanaka were all 29 or younger. Even if you extend that to 30 or under there's not a ton of guys that were fits for them. Fielder and Reyes would appear to be the best candidates but they had Castro and traded for Rizzo. Grienke was another option but they weren't going to outbid the dodgers.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
The plan has been made clear.

Until the "revenue generators" are up and running and in place, don't expect much spending until the prospects , that seasons were sacrificed for, can come up to the big leagues and show their worth.

Then, and only then, can it be determined what additional little pieces are needed to get over the top. (attendance may be a factor though).