Long but entertaining Montgomery breakdown

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
This kid is gonna make our Oline look so good. The vision and patience he has is gonna make us forget all about Jordan Howard quickly

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
That was very enjoyable to watch, very excited to see this guy play. I can only imagine how Nagy feels thinking off plays with DM and Cohen can both in the backfield, and a receiver in motion. This is going to be such a fun year to watch. The only thing that could derail an exciting season would be injuries.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why hasn't Canton called yet?!?!?!?!?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Good breakdown. Never seen this particular breakdown, but seen all of these games. Montgomery was one of my top 5 players to watch in this draft. And that Iowa 2017 tape was phenomenal. Became a fan then last year. I always figured he'd be a Bears target, but wasn't sure how they'd get him. I was actually rooting for him to run in the 4.6s at the combine, because if he ran a 4.55 or lower, he'd been long gone. Montgomery does everything well, nothing stands out other than his contact balance (ability to stay on his feet when getting hit), but some say that's the most important thing for a RB.

A lot of people were obsessed with the speed of Henderson and Sanders in this draft (NFL teams were too, as they went higher) thinking that Howard's major deficiency was speed, but Montgomery is what Nagy looked for in a back. He has similar traits to Mike Davis who Nagy's team signed, he has similar traits to Hunt, who Nagy's former team drafted when he was there. I'm sure the Bears would have gladly taken Henderson, Sanders, or Jacobs, but Montgomery is as perfect a fit at any position as there was for any team in this draft. Match made in heaven. Not saying it's going to work perfectly and he'll be Walter Payton 2.0, but he's exactly what this team wanted and needed at the RB position.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was indifferent on the pick, but that video has me excited to see him in Naggy's offense

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Good breakdown. Never seen this particular breakdown, but seen all of these games. Montgomery was one of my top 5 players to watch in this draft. And that Iowa 2017 tape was phenomenal. Became a fan then last year. I always figured he'd be a Bears target, but wasn't sure how they'd get him. I was actually rooting for him to run in the 4.6s at the combine, because if he ran a 4.55 or lower, he'd been long gone. Montgomery does everything well, nothing stands out other than his contact balance (ability to stay on his feet when getting hit), but some say that's the most important thing for a RB.

A lot of people were obsessed with the speed of Henderson and Sanders in this draft (NFL teams were too, as they went higher) thinking that Howard's major deficiency was speed, but Montgomery is what Nagy looked for in a back. He has similar traits to Mike Davis who Nagy's team signed, he has similar traits to Hunt, who Nagy's former team drafted when he was there. I'm sure the Bears would have gladly taken Henderson, Sanders, or Jacobs, but Montgomery is as perfect a fit at any position as there was for any team in this draft. Match made in heaven. Not saying it's going to work perfectly and he'll be Walter Payton 2.0, but he's exactly what this team wanted and needed at the RB position.
Pretty much agree on all fronts. I will say though aside from his contact balance I think his vision and ability to set up defenders with timing (varying his pace) and ridiculous cutting ability for a man his size stand out as well.

He's the type that could be a better pro than he was in college. Especially in this offense, and especially with Nagy. He could be our own version of David Johnson. Not based on his productivity moreso how he's utilized. He looks very natural as a receiver.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was indifferent on the pick, but that video has me excited to see him in Naggy's offense

If Montgomery can translate his skills to the NFL, imo he is actually gon bring a vanilla type component to Nagy's O without taking away from the opportunity for the misdirection stuff Nagy became known for.

Montgomery could provide that threat of a simple 6 yard run despite whatever weird shit Nagy shows pre-snap, without taking away the opportunity of actually running some weird play. Montgomery might flesh out the O without tipping the hand one way or another.

To me that is where he can really help this team. If he is a consistent threat for 4-6 yards between the tackles while also being an asset to the more complex shit Nagy likes to run, it could be a big deal. He doesn't have to be a home run threat to be a huge help to the O.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of the plays in that video are fucking insane. I don't remember seeing them in highlight reels, which is weird. I guess cause they aren't 30 yard touchdowns.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If Montgomery can translate his skills to the NFL, imo he is actually gon bring a vanilla type component to Nagy's O without taking away from the opportunity for the misdirection stuff Nagy became known for.

Montgomery could provide that threat of a simple 6 yard run despite whatever weird shit Nagy shows pre-snap, without taking away the opportunity of actually running some weird play. Montgomery might flesh out the O without tipping the hand one way or another.

To me that is where he can really help this team. If he is a consistent threat for 4-6 yards between the tackles while also being an asset to the more complex shit Nagy likes to run, it could be a big deal. He doesn't have to be a home run threat to be a huge help to the O.

Yep. This ain't the greatest show on turf. Everyone thinks Nagy is trying to score on every play, while that would be ideal, it's not realistic. This is a passing league, but you have to be able to line up and run the ball when you need to.

Howard was at times able to run the ball when the Bears needed him to, but the problem is he limited their offense when he was on the field. Teams knew if he was in the backfield, it was a run between the tackles or he was in to pass block. They didn't have to dedicate a defender to him in the pass game, because he was going to only catch a checkdown. Honestly, same goes for Cohen to the opposite way. Teams knew it was NOT going to be a run between the tackles and they did have to dedicate a defender to him, but it was fine because it didn't have to be a big LB that had to worry about plugging the middle. So, they could play big nickel (with a safety at LB) or dime against the Bears. With Montgomery, teams will have to worry about inside, outside, him on legit pass routes, etc. If they play a S at LB, Montgomery will murder the team up the middle. He will also have the advantage in the pass game against a LB.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He seems like he could be a high character kid. Kid might do well this year.