Long but entertaining Montgomery breakdown

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
People were down on this pick just because this guy doesn't have break-away speed. But all we really need is for him to move the chains to give Mitch and the rest of the offense a chance to score. His ability to make guys miss and to find the gaps will be huge for our offense.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
No worries man. Long time between now and training camp. We some talking points and general football entertainment around here.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Anyone saying he is the same guy as Howard is nut's. I liked Howard and wish him well, but Montgomery is a better runner, and a huge upgrade in the passing game. I know Howard worked hard and improved his receiving skills, but this guy lines up in the slot and wide and picks up pass rushers, there is no way the D can know it's 80% run when he is in.

I think the fact that the Bears were to predictable last season, Howard = run, Cohen = pass, that is why Pace and Nagy had to make the change. So go ahead and load up the box when Montgomery is in the game, see how that works out.

#keepingthemhonest

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
S
Anyone saying he is the same guy as Howard is nut's. I liked Howard and wish him well, but Montgomery is a better runner, and a huge upgrade in the passing game. I know Howard worked hard and improved his receiving skills, but this guy lines up in the slot and wide and picks up pass rushers, there is no way the D can know it's 80% run when he is in.

I think the fact that the Bears were to predictable last season, Howard = run, Cohen = pass, that is why Pace and Nagy had to make the change. So go ahead and load up the box when Montgomery is in the game, see how that works out.

#keepingthemhonest
Shut up nerd

marothisu

Liked Posts:
Some of the plays in that video are fucking insane. I don't remember seeing them in highlight reels, which is weird. I guess cause they aren't 30 yard touchdowns.

A lot of the people making them aren't Iowa State people, so you won't see a lot of these plays. They just take the plays off of some top 10 lists and then make their own regurgitated video without delving into the actual games. Hopefully you see his catching ability and also ability to throw some guys down.

One thing that people don't talk about or probably don't even know is that much of 2018 he was actually injured, but still playing. Stuff like deep bruises and what not, but he's incredibly tough. He played the 2017 bowl game against Memphis basically injured. Not a great game and if you watch the tape of him getting injured in the last game of the season, you would have thought it was some injury that would have kept him out for 8 month. Nope, a month later he was playing but definitely not even close to 100% (though he claims he was 100%). Some of the things you see in the games from 2017 is from when he was actually healthier. So just saying his ability is even greater than most of the 2018 highlights you see even though those can be ridiculous. He still racked up over 1200 yards last year despite all that.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
His great contact balance comes from the way he runs. If you look at his training video, you can see he runs upright with his butt low and knees high. Most people run with a forward lean so if you take out their legs, they'd lose balance. Because of his upright position, it is easier for him to adjust to contact from any direction. The downside of running upright is you lose a little speed.

I think though in the NFL I'd prefer a RB with good contact balance rather than pure speed. It's not often that a RB gets into a open field foot race during a game. Adrian Peterson was a rare one who had both.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
His footwork, shiftiness, and route running are leagues ahead of Howard. I loved Howard, but he didn’t have this skill set for Nagy’s offense. Also I think the league caught on to Howard since each year his numbers went down.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I can't wait to throw this article back in this dude's face.

Packers suck!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think though in the NFL I'd prefer a RB with good contact balance rather than pure speed. It's not often that a RB gets into a open field foot race during a game. Adrian Peterson was a rare one who had both.
Earl Campbell was another example of that. He was as big as an offensive lineman who would run right through you, bounce off you and outrun you.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I browsed that article the day of. I cringed hard. Framing the article with that level of Homerism is child like.
Exactly, normally I find the SB Nation Team pages to be homers but, reasonably so. That was a different level, TBH.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I can just imagine. Comment sections for me, on any platform are a forbidden fruit. There's simply too many stupid people in this world.

I could of sworn i saw a story about D.Montgomery and how he would drive 2 hours a day to go see a kid for some reason. I might be mistaken but sure do think it was him and something about driving 2 hours a day for a kid but can't find anything. Have you heard of this story?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Montgomery is gon be fun as shit to watch.

Pace might actually be a mid round miracle worker. If he hits with Montgomery and Ridley, his record in the mid rounds will be pretty absurd.

It will be his calling card for sure.

I think he has a real chance to hit on both. Ridley reminds me a little bit of Jackson, although not injured, a big school guy who slips in the draft and you take a 2nd round talent in the 4th. Now Jackson even out played a 2nd round grade, but it will be interesting to see if Ridley is a similar value for the Bears.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
An Eagle Scout is all I needed to hear about him, that's a long time commitment and not many have that dedication. I only made it to Cub Scouts so I'm not a homer.......so fire me.