Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

If the New York Jets had decided to clean house following the 2018 season, firing general manager Mike Maccagnan along with coach Todd Bowles, it would not have registered a high number on the shock meter. After all, it was the Jets' third straight losing season.
But no, they opted to keep Maccagnan. They let him play a significant role in the hiring of coach Adam Gase. They let him spend more than $125 million in guarantees on free agents. They let him run the 2019 NFL draft, which included selecting a prospect with the No. 3 overall pick. They let him be the football boss.

"I think he's terrific at his job," Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said in late March at the annual NFL owners meetings. "He has a plan that I believe in. It's really key that he's working well with Adam."

Jets' past four seasons
Mike Maccagnan was the Jets' general manager since 2015. Here are the results:
SeasonRecordPlayoffs?
20184-12No
20175-11No
20165-11No
201510-6No
Source: ESPN Stats & Info
On Wednesday morning, Johnson fired Maccagnan.
It's amateur hour in Florham Park, New Jersey, folks.
Conjuring up memories of their many infamous moments from a star-crossed past (remember Bill Belichick resigning as "HC of the NYJ"?), the Jets dusted off their old dunce cap and shocked the NFL with a move that raises serious questions about the leadership of the franchise.
Johnson, who has been in charge for only two years, just dumped a guy -- Maccagnan -- whom he empowered to make franchise-altering decisions. We're talking about the signings of Le'Veon Bell and C.J. Mosley and the drafting of Quinnen Williams. It reeks of inexperience on the part of Johnson, the affable younger brother of owner Woody Johnson who appears to have been swallowed up by the responsibility of the job.
The Jets turned their organization into a "Game of Thrones" episode, a classic power struggle in which Gase prevailed over Maccagnan. Gase, a losing coach with the Miami Dolphins, has ascended to the iron throne. Imagine that. No one other than the Jets wanted to hire him off the scrap heap, and now he's the king at One Jets Drive.
Bend the knee for Adam Gase, King of the North (Jersey), whisperer to quarterbacks, loser of many games, friend of Peyton Manning.
The Jets hired Adam Gase as their coach in January and as of May 15, the 41-year-old will also take over interim general manager duties. Michael Conroy/AP Photo
Oh, the Jets will hire a new general manager -- Philadelphia Eagles executive Joe Douglas, who has a good relationship with Gase from their time together in Chicago in 2016, is the favorite -- but is there any doubt who is running the show? Only the Jets could turn a 23-25 coach into a leader of an organization. This emperor has no playoff victories.
Reports of friction between Gase and Maccagnan emerged during the draft. There were rumors of Maccagnan's looming demise, which the Jets privately refuted. In fact, the discord between Gase and Maccagnan was real, as ESPN reported at the time. Johnson was so concerned that he started spending more time at the facility to monitor their working relationship, sources said. People in the organization felt Gase and Maccagnan would work through it, and they would get a one-year honeymoon before ownership re-evaluated after the season.
For the record, the Gase-Maccagnan marriage lasted only four months. Very Kardashian.
It doesn't matter who is in charge; the Jets stink at matchmaking. The Rex Ryan-John Idzik pairing blew up in spectacular fashion, but at least that lasted two years. Maccagnan and Bowles, too, had their issues, but they managed to survive four years.
Now, this. If the Johnson brothers owned eHarmony, it would go out of business in no time.

The Gase-Maccagnan dynamic has occupied Christopher Johnson's thoughts for a couple of months. At one point, before the draft, he considered a change, sources said. He decided to ride it out and, after taking some time after the draft to reassess the situation, he opted to make the change for "the best long-term interests" of the organization, he said in Wednesday's statement. Ultimately, this could turn out to be a wise move because Gase will have a comfort level with his new partner. Clearly, he didn't have that with Maccagnan. As much as the two men denied it, they clashed over personnel decisions in free agency.
The problem is, why did it have to get to this point? Why did Johnson believe they could coexist? Did he know Gase was power-hungry when he hired him? Do you really trust Johnson to get it right?
The Jets are a mess, a bumbling organization that makes the New York Knicks look like the pillars of stability. It's no wonder they haven't reached a Super Bowl in 50 years.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I never understood the love for Adam Gase. The Bears offense wasn't any good with him in charge. At least with Martz, Trestman, etc. the Bears had a period of success. Gase's tenure had no high water mark. I was surprised that it was almost universal in the media that Gase would get a HC job after his 'work with Cutler'. He was a trainwreck in Miami, and I was aghast when I heard the Jets gave Gase another HC job.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What the fuck are the Jets doing? How is a GM fired after FA & the draft? Makes no sense.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
George McCaskey keeps rising in my owner/president rankings

The, "At least he isn't as bad as___________" list now consists of:
Jed York 49ers - Tomsula hire, Paying #1 all time $ at the time for a guy with 2 NFL starts.
Mark Davis Raiders- Mack trade/Gruden hire and contract
Christopher Johnson Jets- Gase debacle/sustained futility
William/Martha Ford Lions- nuff said
Wilson/Pegula Bills- sustained futility

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I never understood the love for Adam Gase. The Bears offense wasn't any good with him in charge. At least with Martz, Trestman, etc. the Bears had a period of success. Gase's tenure had no high water mark. I was surprised that it was almost universal in the media that Gase would get a HC job after his 'work with Cutler'. He was a trainwreck in Miami, and I was aghast when I heard the Jets gave Gase another HC job.

Gase's offense was one of the top 10 offenses in sustained 10+ play drives in Chicago though.

I mean he couldn't score consistently but TOP was one of the best. Opposing defense feared no one in CHI offense because they could just hold standard defense and wait out the Bears offense to fizzle. They might have lost the TOP battle but more often than not won on points scored vs. points against.

Now with Bell "Gase has an electric playmaker with exceptional physical tools."

Oops, that was said not about Bell in NY but Cutler - yes Cutler - in Chicago.

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000583550/article/jay-cutler-thriving-with-bears-under-john-fox-adam-gase

Media loves Gase for some reason.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
George McCaskey keeps rising in my owner/president rankings

I actually give McCaskey credit. He had an experienced coach in Fox, an inexperienced GM in Pace, and when things weren't working he sided with the inexperienced GM. Personally, I would have fired Pace after Year 3. McCaskey stuck with Pace, and it paid off.

The Bears actually have an organizational structure that makes sense and there is harmony...you have a GM who hires his own HC. No more Ted Phillips. No more hiring a DC with no HC experience and giving him the dual role of HC/GM. I think it reflects well on McCaskey and can be seen in the W/L record.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I remember when a large contingent on this board wanted him in place of Fox and mourned his departure.

I was one of those that mourned his departure more so due to my lack of faith in Loggains rather than any belief that Gase was good rather that his replacement was a likely downgrade

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I actually give McCaskey credit. He had an experienced coach in Fox, an inexperienced GM in Pace, and when things weren't working he sided with the inexperienced GM. Personally, I would have fired Pace after Year 3. McCaskey stuck with Pace, and it paid off.

The Bears actually have an organizational structure that makes sense and there is harmony...you have a GM who hires his own HC. No more Ted Phillips. No more hiring a DC with no HC experience and giving him the dual role of HC/GM. I think it reflects well on McCaskey and can be seen in the W/L record.

And McCaskey hangs out at tailgate parties where fans will "be fans" all over the place.

What happened is truly remarkable considering ...

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was one of those that mourned his departure more so due to my lack of faith in Loggains rather than any belief that Gase was good rather that his replacement was a likely downgrade
Somehow Loggains continues to get OC jobs.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wasn't that just Gase again?

Gase/Loggains is like the least 'dynamic' duo that I can even think of. I almost feel bad for the Jets. Their roster appears to be on the upswing. Darnold could be good, signed Bell, Robby Anderson is a decent WR (and is backed up by the one and only Josh Bellamy). Quincy Enunwa/Jamison Crowder are servicable WRs. Defense has some play makers on it with Leonard Williams, Quinnen Williams, Jamal Adams and Mosley. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be excited to be a Jets fan.

Crda44

Liked Posts:
He’s on meth so there is no need for sleep I think it’s a great idea to make Gase GM

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Gase/Loggains is like the least 'dynamic' duo that I can even think of. I almost feel bad for the Jets. Their roster appears to be on the upswing. Darnold could be good, signed Bell, Robby Anderson is a decent WR (and is backed up by the one and only Josh Bellamy). Quincy Enunwa/Jamison Crowder are servicable WRs. Defense has some play makers on it with Leonard Williams, Quinnen Williams, Jamal Adams and Mosley. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't be excited to be a Jets fan.

I actually am less of a fan of the Gase types than I am of the one year wonders like Crowton, Chip Kelly et al.

At least they try to revolutionize and try to adapt when the NFL Defensive Coordinators catch up to their trick. They fail miserably when they are revealed to have no other tricks up their sleeves or stubbornly try the same thing over ...but those types are fun to watch at least and change up the league a bit.

AND when they are exposed, they tend to be done in the NFL for good (June Jones notwithstanding)

It is just stupid that Gase gets another HC job.