Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I actually give McCaskey credit. He had an experienced coach in Fox, an inexperienced GM in Pace, and when things weren't working he sided with the inexperienced GM. Personally, I would have fired Pace after Year 3. McCaskey stuck with Pace, and it paid off.

The Bears actually have an organizational structure that makes sense and there is harmony...you have a GM who hires his own HC. No more Ted Phillips. No more hiring a DC with no HC experience and giving him the dual role of HC/GM. I think it reflects well on McCaskey and can be seen in the W/L record.
Yes, but the previous employment of Emery, Trestman, and Mel Tucker along with the presumed meddling with the new GM by forcing the hiring of Fox, who seemed to be here just to cash checks put George near if not at the bottom, so his arrow is definitely pointing up, esp considering the bold moves by Pace he has greenlighted. He may very well be, at the moment, a near top 10 exec,primarily be being more hands off, but I can't see, arbitrarily, having him leapfrog guys with similar success, without his team taking a sustained next step.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
One thing that has me lost about yesterday. They talk about Gase taking over and being the only coach in the league with both titles, even though every one knows Bellicheck and Sean Payton have 100% of personnel decisions.
But on sportscenter, they led into the news with all these highlights from their linebacker Lee, who was dealt away for a fifth round pick.

Was the Lee deal the last straw, or did they make that trade after he was fired?

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Does he have Grave's Disease?
His eyes didn't look that crazy when he was with the Bears, no?
Them are gonna fall right out.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I never understood the love for Adam Gase. The Bears offense wasn't any good with him in charge. At least with Martz, Trestman, etc. the Bears had a period of success. Gase's tenure had no high water mark. I was surprised that it was almost universal in the media that Gase would get a HC job after his 'work with Cutler'. He was a trainwreck in Miami, and I was aghast when I heard the Jets gave Gase another HC job.

I said this since it happened in 2015, most overrated OC ever. I also cursed him for being a douchebag and taking a HC job when he clearly wasn't ready. Peyton Manning made him with the Broncos, not the other way around. he may have made Cutler appear better than ever but his playcalling was not befitting what they had at the time. Cutler was best 2011-2013. I'm glad it's over and the Bears can operate like they're in the 21st century now.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Does he have Grave's Disease?
His eyes didn't look that crazy when he was with the Bears, no?
Them are gonna fall right out.
Graves disease in that he is looking for the next person to put in one of his backyard graves? Then, yes, I think so.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Stafford ever calls Jay to boast about getting his OC of four years fired and demoted to RB coach.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
I never understood the love for Adam Gase. The Bears offense wasn't any good with him in charge. At least with Martz, Trestman, etc. the Bears had a period of success. Gase's tenure had no high water mark. I was surprised that it was almost universal in the media that Gase would get a HC job after his 'work with Cutler'. He was a trainwreck in Miami, and I was aghast when I heard the Jets gave Gase another HC job.
Imagine your biggest claim to fame being that you made Jay Cutler play like a slightly below average QB, and getting multiple HC jobs over it.

That's the gist of it. Gase held the OC Title when Peyton Manning strung together MVP Level seasons in Denver and got Cutler to not throw Interceptions or get sack strip fumbled every 4 to 5 snaps. Also, he's a young white guy. NFL Owners and Executives LOVE young white coaches.

What the fuck are the Jets doing? How is a GM fired after FA & the draft? Makes no sense.
I don't know if that's worse than allowing Mark Hatley to run the 2001 Draft (David Terrell 1st Round pick YAY) while knowing he was going to take the Director of Player Personnel job in Green Bay which made the NFL force the Bears to use a PR Firm to hire Jerry Angelo as their first GM since Vanisi. It's pretty Special person, though.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Stafford ever calls Jay to boast about getting his OC of four years fired and demoted to RB coach.
I would love to just listen into a conversation between Stafford and Cutler. Either they would hate each other immediately and it would just be two men acting like mean girls or there would be chemistry and it would start the largest bitchfest ever.

ISU_Bear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Iowa State Cyclones
First order of business: Mandatory Taco Tuesday
tenor.gif

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's the gist of it. Gase held the OC Title when Peyton Manning strung together MVP Level seasons in Denver and got Cutler to not throw Interceptions or get sack strip fumbled every 4 to 5 snaps. Also, he's a young white guy. NFL Owners and Executives LOVE young white coaches.

I don't know if that's worse than allowing Mark Hatley to run the 2001 Draft (David Terrell 1st Round pick YAY) while knowing he was going to take the Director of Player Personnel job in Green Bay which made the NFL force the Bears to use a PR Firm to hire Jerry Angelo as their first GM since Vanisi. It's pretty Special person, though.

@TonyMontana Then-president Michael McCaskey insisted on doing film review with head coach Dave Wannstedt in the days immediately following games. Sources said that during the 2001 draft, for two different reasons, Phillips vetoed trades sought by then-personnel chief Mark Hatley to land, first, LaDanian Tomlinson, and then later, Deuce McAllister. The Bears instead ended up with David Terrell and Anthony Thomas. article

Phillips also extended Dick Jauron's contract.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
What a mess for the Jets, complete chaos in that organization right now.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Under .500 with no playoff wins at the time he was hired.

Hmmmmm....who else does that describe?

Oh yeah. Bill Belichek.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but the previous employment of Emery, Trestman, and Mel Tucker along with the presumed meddling with the new GM by forcing the hiring of Fox, who seemed to be here just to cash checks put George near if not at the bottom, so his arrow is definitely pointing up, esp considering the bold moves by Pace he has greenlighted. He may very well be, at the moment, a near top 10 exec,primarily be being more hands off, but I can't see, arbitrarily, having him leapfrog guys with similar success, without his team taking a sustained next step.
The goal for every successful owner/businessman is to hire/promote people who are BETTER than you then get the fuck out of their way. There should always be an active search for your replacement. It's healthy and success breeds success. Finally, we've done it!