Manny Deal In The Works, Article Found By JustinTCB

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- While not confirming or denying the White Sox’s interest in Manny Ramirez, a Major League source shot down a Chicago Sun-Times report Wednesday that the team was “closing in on a deal,” for the veteran slugger.

The Sun-Times’ report also stated that “the deal appeared to be close Wednesday.”

The basic problem with the report, according to the source, is that all teams have until Friday to put in a claim on Ramirez so it isn’t as if the Dodgers were closing in on deals with clubs for their veteran outfielder in anticipation of them winning a claim.

“It is unlikely that any team would be bearing down on a deal before [Friday],” the source said.

There is no doubt the White Sox would be interested in adding Ramirez to the fold. It just wouldn’t happen until the weekend if they did.

The White Sox are expected to put in a claim, but will play the waiting game until Friday. If any National League team put in a claim for Ramirez by Friday, that team would get first rights to work on a deal with the Dodgers. Otherwise the Dodgers could pull him back off waivers and keep him.

Not only do National League teams have first crack at Ramirez, all American League teams with a worse record than the White Sox would have first chance at Ramirez as well.

“It’s not easy to get anything and that’s why the (July 31) trading deadline is so important,” general manager Williams said. “You try to make sure you fortify your team and you exhaust yourself to do it because you just don’t know what the waiver wire will yield, and this year, it seems like there have been more blocks than there have been in the past.”

At the nonwaiver trade deadline, the White Sox reportedly offered to take Ramirez off the Dodgers’ hands, offering no prospects in return and saying they would pay just $1 million of the over $7 million he was owed at that point. The Dodgers wasted little time rejecting that offer.

The latest reports are saying that the cash-strapped Dodgers would indeed be willing to eat some of Ramirez’s salary in exchange for top prospects.

Ramirez has a full no-trade clause so he would have to approve a deal to the White Sox. During the 2005 American League Division Series between the White Sox and Red Sox, one White Sox player revealed that Ramirez said he would enjoy playing for somebody as outspoken as manager Ozzie Guillen.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can he? If he was placed on waivers today, don't the Dodgers have to wait 48 hours to deal him? That's what I think but I could be wrong.

You're wrong. A deal can be made with the claiming team at any time after claiming said player. The 48 hour deadline is for either releasing that player to the claiming team for nothing or rescinding that player from waivers, thus retaining said player.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Manny: Why the hell not

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're wrong. A deal can be made with the claiming team at any time after claiming said player. The 48 hour deadline is for either releasing that player to the claiming team for nothing or rescinding that player from waivers, thus retaining said player.

But, he still have to pass thru the NL without being claim. It he cleared waivers, then that would be true.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I havent even heard a team in the NL considering him, no one wants his D.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
But, he still have to pass thru the NL without being claim. It he cleared waivers, then that would be true.

While yes, he would have to pass through the NL before the Sox could put a claim on him (but do you really foresee this happening, for real?); however, if the Sox have the chance to claim him (assuming there isn't a worse team out there that wants to stick it to the Sox and claim him first), then the clock starts ticking for those two teams only.

In the instance you describe, if he were to pass through waivers, then the Dodgers could deal him to ANY team in either league.

If he were to pass through the NL, then the Sox put in a claim for him, then the Dodgers may only discuss a deal with the Sox, as they're the claiming team. When the claim goes in, the 48 hour deadline begins and forces the Dodgers to either 1) make a deal with the claiming team only (Sox); 2) release him to the claiming team for nothing; 3) rescind waivers (Manny remains a Dodger).

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
While yes, he would have to pass through the NL before the Sox could put a claim on him (but do you really foresee this happening, for real?); however, if the Sox have the chance to claim him (assuming there isn't a worse team out there that wants to stick it to the Sox and claim him first), then the clock starts ticking for those two teams only.

In the instance you describe, if he were to pass through waivers, then the Dodgers could deal him to ANY team in either league.

If he were to pass through the NL, then the Sox put in a claim for him, then the Dodgers may only discuss a deal with the Sox, as they're the claiming team. When the claim goes in, the 48 hour deadline begins and forces the Dodgers to either 1) make a deal with the claiming team only (Sox); 2) release him to the claiming team for nothing; 3) rescind waivers (Manny remains a Dodger).

I've been saying the Sox will win the claim in my opinion. There's NO chance an NL team claims him. From what you just said, I think that's what I been thinking and saying but who knows.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i doubt an nl team claims him. the only way i see it is if a team wants his bat off the bench....thats a hefty price tag. count the giants out for sure.