Martellus Bennett on AM1000 yesterday

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Carmen and Jurko had Martellus Bennett on yesterday. I wasn't really a fan of Bennett when he was on the Bears, and was even less of a fan post-Bears, but he was a very interesting guest. You could tell he was intelligent...far superior to the idiots interviewing him. Here were some nuggets from Martellus:

*He never really liked football, found many of the coaches unable to explain concepts, but enjoyed playing in the games.
*He was asked if he was still in touch with old teammates, he said "no". He said the only thing he had in common with his teammates was playing football.
*He liked Jay Cutler as a person, because Cutler was very smart and not stereotypical football player, but also implied that he sucked as a QB and wasn't smart at football. He compared Rodgers to Cutler, saying that he liked Rodgers as well because he was also smart.
*He had a lot to say about playing for the Patriots. When asked if Belichick controlled everything, Bennett said the opposite was true. Belichick put faith in his players and let them kind of run things. He was very complimentary to Gronk, saying they would change routes with each other if it meant a completed pass. Seemed like to be a very team-oriented approach.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carmen and Jurko had Martellus Bennett on yesterday. I wasn't really a fan of Bennett when he was on the Bears, and was even less of a fan post-Bears, but he was a very interesting guest. You could tell he was intelligent...far superior to the idiots interviewing him. Here were some nuggets from Martellus:

*He never really liked football, found many of the coaches unable to explain concepts, but enjoyed playing in the games.
*He was asked if he was still in touch with old teammates, he said "no". He said the only thing he had in common with his teammates was playing football.
*He liked Jay Cutler as a person, because Cutler was very smart and not stereotypical football player, but also implied that he sucked as a QB and wasn't smart at football. He compared Rodgers to Cutler, saying that he liked Rodgers as well because he was also smart.
*He had a lot to say about playing for the Patriots. When asked if Belichick controlled everything, Bennett said the opposite was true. Belichick put faith in his players and let them kind of run things. He was very complimentary to Gronk, saying they would change routes with each other if it meant a completed pass. Seemed like to be a very team-oriented approach.

Did he share any thoughts about Adam Shaheen or Kelly Stafford? Will he be watching the draft live?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seeing how he doesn't like football, doubt it.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

In b4 the CCS RACISTS come in here and talk Jizz about an outspoken black man who should have just played the game and stfu.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was not a fan of signing Marty in FA, but he really made me a fan. I popped into an event he was at pushing his childrens' books. The artwork was stellar and his live reading had a group of six year olds completely enthralled. Definitely not your stereotypical NFL jock...kind of a fascinating man really.

His brother is a total dick.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I wonder what amount of players are like him in that they don't really enjoy football outside of it being there job.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I wonder what amount of players are like him in that they don't really enjoy football outside of it being there job.
Probably most of them. If you take a second to imagine what life is like outside of playing games on Sundays, it sounds kinda shitty. Nobody like practice.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

I remember an interview with Barry Sanders where he said football isn't his life (seemed to be implying it was just a job) when reporters kept asking him about breaking Payton's rushing record. He was like, "Ya'll seem to think I'm going to play that long - I might not."

And he didn't...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I remember an interview with Barry Sanders where he said football isn't his life (seemed to be implying it was just a job) when reporters kept asking him about breaking Payton's rushing record. He was like, "Ya'll seem to think I'm going to play that long - I might not."

And he didn't...
It's just tough for people like us to imagine these guys not being 24/7/365 football, but then you realize how many us are actually that way with our own jobs. It's just odd the expectations we place on professional athletes when the general public (small business owners excluded, probably) would never put that expectation are our own selves.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It's just tough for people like us to imagine these guys not being 24/7/365 football, but then you realize how many us are actually that way with our own jobs. It's just odd the expectations we place on professional athletes when the general public (small business owners excluded, probably) would never put that expectation are our own selves.

I think part of it is because the fan bizarrely 'cares more' about 'his' team winning than the player. They expect the player to be 100% committed, showing all out effort, crying when they lose, not talking to opposing players, etc.

When I was an athlete, I cared about winning, was very competitive during games, got upset when I lost, but when the game was over, I moved on to other things. I didn't spend all week dissecting what happened and saying "its such a tragedy we lost". Fans seem to spend more time consumed with the wins and losses more than the players.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:

It's even worse because their day doesn't end after just a practice or media stuff, or even learning playbooks. It's also always having to be "the football player". You can't just go out and have a bite to eat without being accosted by a hundred people. Imagine just wanting a day off and grab a bite with your SO but you can't because of the horde of fans wanting a picture or an autograph and if you decline, you're somehow an asshole that doesn't "appreciate his fans". I get home from work and no one gives a fuck about me and I like it that way. I can go grab a bite or shopping or anything without worry, but those guys probably need to weigh everything with "how much of a hassle will this be with fans?" I'd have some hard times with stuff like that if I was ever even remotely close to the level of fame these superstars experience everywhere they go.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's even worse because their day doesn't end after just a practice or media stuff, or even learning playbooks. It's also always having to be "the football player". You can't just go out and have a bite to eat without being accosted by a hundred people. Imagine just wanting a day off and grab a bite with your SO but you can't because of the horde of fans wanting a picture or an autograph and if you decline, you're somehow an asshole that doesn't "appreciate his fans". I get home from work and no one gives a fuck about me and I like it that way. I can go grab a bite or shopping or anything without worry, but those guys probably need to weigh everything with "how much of a hassle will this be with fans?" I'd have some hard times with stuff like that if I was ever even remotely close to the level of fame these superstars experience everywhere they go.
This is a good point, they always need to be "on." Nobody gives a fuck about the pipe work the plumber installed in '86, but I'll bet Dent has told his story about getting a sack in the Super Bowl 10,000 times.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

Still sounds like a jackoff.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think part of it is because the fan bizarrely 'cares more' about 'his' team winning than the player. They expect the player to be 100% committed, showing all out effort, crying when they lose, not talking to opposing players, etc.

When I was an athlete, I cared about winning, was very competitive during games, got upset when I lost, but when the game was over, I moved on to other things. I didn't spend all week dissecting what happened and saying "its such a tragedy we lost". Fans seem to spend more time consumed with the wins and losses more than the players.
They still going to get paid either way so I'm sure there are plenty of them like Marty who don't really care. Thinking back on it, the culture with Trestman here was an abomination. I don't even blame Marty for saying he wasn't that into it. He made a small fortune and IIRC has started his on creative company. Good for him.