Matt Garza Back On Track

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
My overall thinking is this, if they could have worked out a reasonable extension I think we would've heard about it already. They worked on a reasonable extension for Castro and that kept breaking.

I think Garza either wants to A. Test the market, or B. Sign a huge extension with the Cubs. Either way I think he wants real money because this is likely to be the one time he's going to get big dollars on the open market. This is likely to be his Max Value as a FA.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't assume the extension Garza will ask for will be reasonable.

That may be the case, but I think the qualifying offer is nothing the Cubs have to fear and may provide more value over what teams will offer at this point anyway.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My overall thinking is this, if they could have worked out a reasonable extension I think we would've heard about it already. They worked on a reasonable extension for Castro and that kept breaking.

I think Garza either wants to A. Test the market, or B. Sign a huge extension with the Cubs. Either way I think he wants real money because this is likely to be the one time he's going to get big dollars on the open market. This is likely to be his Max Value as a FA.
I think NTC is a major sticking point for each side, and that without a leak from Garza's side we are unlikely to hear much about an extension.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
His price may have dropped with the injury. Even if he shows to be healthy, you know how arm injuries are and can come back anytime. So, teams may not want to take the chance. But it is the MLB and it seems like no one cares about money.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
That may be the case, but I think the qualifying offer is nothing the Cubs have to fear and may provide more value over what teams will offer at this point anyway.

It might, it might not. If it's Olt you obviously go for it. If it's a collection of B- talent you have to review and make the decision then. With the new CBA and allocated draft budgets I think the QO loses some value.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It might, it might not. If it's Olt you obviously go for it. If it's a collection of B- talent you have to review and make the decision then. With the new CBA and allocated draft budgets I think the QO loses some value.

I have the opposite view on QO in the new CBA because they are so few and there is so much budget space tied to it I think the value is higher than previous markets.

I think ultimately Rubio we are at a very similar position. If it is real talent, more than a reasonable team would give up for damaged goods like Garza, of course you take it. The question comes down to at what point do you move him for less than his full potential value as a healthy starter or try to extend him.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I have the opposite view on QO in the new CBA because they are so few and there is so much budget space tied to it I think the value is higher than previous markets.

I think ultimately Rubio we are at a very similar position. If it is real talent, more than a reasonable team would give up for damaged goods like Garza, of course you take it. The question comes down to at what point do you move him for less than his full potential value as a healthy starter or try to extend him.

Yeah it's splitting hairs. I'd probably take a 4C 5 for Garza, I think I might even be ok with Avasail Garcia, but that's just me.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Via MLBTR:

Cubs keep Matt Garza. This may have been a non-move that was forced by circumstance, rather than a conscious decision by the Cubs to stand pat. Garza was the subject of many rumors heading into last July's trade deadline and he may well been dealt had he not suffered a stress reaction in his pitching elbow in late July, an injury that sidelined him for the last two months of the season. Garza has begun throwing again and says he will be ready for Opening Day. If he's healthy, the trade winds will undoubtedly again swirl around Wrigley Field as Garza is just a year away from free agency.

The Cubs will get lesser value for Garza now or in July than they would've last year (when Garza was still controllable for a full year and two months) but one wonders if the club will look to move Garza at all. The signing of Edwin Jackson was a sign that the rebuilding Cubs may be looking to contend sooner rather than later, and if Garza is healthy and effective in early 2013, Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer could look to extend the righty. A trade would only be pursued if Garza indicates that he wouldn't be willing to re-sign, or the Cubs could simply trade Garza at the deadline and then try to bring him back in free agency.