Mirotic

ThaGator

Liked Posts:
Niko has been playing in pro games in Spain since he was 16. He is now 23. That's 7 years of experience. Most College players are coming out after their freshman year. Who do you think would be more prepared?

That doesn't mean his level of productivity will automatically be matched in the NBA.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
That doesn't mean his level of productivity will automatically be matched in the NBA.

Of course not, but that's not the question you asked, now, is it? Don't you think the odds would be higher for success, especially with Niko being very well decorated? :smh:

Liked Posts:
I think he'll be fine....of course all of this "he's the next dirk(prime)" shit should be thrown out the window. Plus Pau is here to help him out, he'll be good, but if he has an unmemorable game, bullsnation shouldn't rush to cricify him, I'm glad he's here.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

OK, the practice schedule, and rigors of being a pro in Europe, are far mite demanding than at the collegiate level-even the top programs.

The stress of a professional schedule is one thing that can cause a talented player to bust. Nikola is already shown that he can handle being a pro-therefore the pro lifestyle is not something that will be a question mark for Nikola in as much as his ability to handle it.

The Euroleague of today, is far more competitive, physical, and demanding that NCAA ball. Excelling there is not something that should be sneered at.

The kid can play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't understand what is being asked right now.

I think he's asking that, if compared to guys coming out of college as opposed to an overseas professional league, is he more or less likely to be a bust.

Personally, I think he (and McDermott for that matter), will make meaningful contributions this year. Both of their skill sets translate well to the NBA and when you consider what the Bulls "need", Thibs is going to let them both get minutes. Having Pau is really going to help both of them. Again, I'm higher on both then most, but I think they will both play meaningful minutes early on.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
He won't be a bust in comparison to a college player because he has played at a high level in a professional league. Also college guys bust more because they leave early before they develop so they can hide behind the "he has so much potential" label. While Mirotic played well and gotten better in a pro league. So he will be fine. I think he will be decent to real good.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
OK, the practice schedule, and rigors of being a pro in Europe, are far mite demanding than at the collegiate level-even the top programs.

The stress of a professional schedule is one thing that can cause a talented player to bust. Nikola is already shown that he can handle being a pro-therefore the pro lifestyle is not something that will be a question mark for Nikola in as much as his ability to handle it.

The Euroleague of today, is far more competitive, physical, and demanding that NCAA ball. Excelling there is not something that should be sneered at.

The kid can play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good point, the Euro league is brutal schedule wise. That alone should be a +1 in the debate.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't consider anyone a bust, unless they were drafted in the lottery.

ginny

Liked Posts:
I don't consider anyone a bust, unless they were drafted in the lottery.

^^^
Bingo
He was a second rd pick, so I agree with Crystallas. But he needs to at least stand up to the hype and be worthy of his contract $$$.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
He was drafted 23rd in the first. But yeah. For him to be a true bust, even if he is not in the lottery, and by the definitions used by others, means players drafted after him have had significantly better careers. And right now, a Euroleague MVP and title is nothing to scoff at.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nevermind

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen two of Mirtoic's games via crappy Spanish internet tv along with all of the youtube highlights we've all seen here. So take my opinion FWIW as it is with a limited sample, but I know one thing: HE IS ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING LIKE TONI KUKOC.

If we could stop that reference immediately- I would appreciate. Kukoc was a finesse player who could make plays in the half court, but played more like a 3 than a 4 whereas Mirotic isn't much of a playermaker at all. Kukoc was also extremely average in transition whereas Mirotic is very capable at running the floor. I'm not saying Toni wasn't a good player- he was. I'm also not saying Mirotic doesn't have great potential- he does. They're just very different players and the only similarity they have is they are/were foreign properties of the Bulls. That is it.

In regards to Mirotic- he is much much more physical than Kukoc was. I understand this isn't saying much, but Niko will at least show flashes of ability with his back to the basket and has the willingness to post up smaller players. Whether or not this will translate to the NBA- we'll see. I believe Niko's lack of athletic ability will hamper his ability to be effective in the post consistently in the NBA, but we'll see. His strength is also a question mark coming over, but he has a frame where he can build on that- so we'll see there as well.

Niko's 3pt ability has been well documented- and believe me, it will be elite. The Bulls couldn't have added two better shooters than in Niko and Doug McD this off-season....this guy can flat out flush it and his release is high and quick. He is better at this in finding space in transition as his pick & pop game needs a lot of work, but we'll see. He is also wonderful at running lane to lane in transition- he's a natural scorer and knows he can get a hustle bucket or two by beating his man down for an easy lay-up----I really love that about his game.

It is impossible to find a comparison right now as he is a unique player. In regards to his ability to find spacing in transition and dril a 3- I liken him to Peja. However, Peja didn't have anywhere near his ability to score inside at times. When international scouts were saying Niko would have been a top 4 or 5 pick in last year's draft- I believe it.

If Niko can somehow find 20min a game next year- Niko could average 10 & 4 for the Bulls while shooting 40% from 3. While he is a far thing from a sure thing- a start like this next year would show a bright future for Niko.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

No, that is true. I just hope that he is pushed back because of the trade for Gasol. Logically, with the way this team is currently constructed, he is either going to be the 3rd PF or 2nd SF. OF course, if he is the 2nd SF, the McBuckets is what? The 3rd SF? See my point?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I think the best thing the Bulls have done to optimize Mirotic's development is sign Gasol. Pau knows what the European game is like and how it differs from the NBA game. This knowledge could really help Mirotic expand his game. If Mirotic wants to be a star player in this league, he has to develop more strength and a post game, it's as simple as that. I can't think of a better player than Pau to assist him with that since Gasol has been one of the best offensive big men in the NBA over the past decade.

If Mirotic can put his back to the basket and develop a variety of post moves and get a good feel for playing the post, his talent will be comparable to a guy like Dirk.

Right now, I think he has the ability (once he gets used to the NBA game) to put up numbers similar to Ersan Ilyasova or Ryan Anderson.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Kukoc would have been an All Star had he began his career anywhere else. He was at least as good as Keith Van Horn (remember him?). He was the truth.

I agree with that. Kukoc was held back on the Bulls by being part of such a talented roster he didn't have to step up often or beyond what he did. When he left he wasn't on very good teams and would have had to take on more than he had with the Bulls but might not have had the same trust in his less than stellar teammates.

Any player can be a bust for any number of reasons, Darko Millicic could have been seen as a productive role player if drafted at 28 but a number 2 pick should produce something a lot better. Jay Williams showed the talent people expected but a short career for his reason is a bust. Mirotic should better follow the Kukoc model in he's behind Gasol and Gibson so team success isn't dependent on him. Bairstow is more of a banger so if McDermott shoots really well he could get on the floor more than Mirotic the first half of the year as they'll need rebounding and defense from the 4 more than stretching the floor.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I don't think he will be a bust. He might not be great as some people expect but not a bust. Darko Milichic is bust. I think mirotic is better than darko.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
His "bust" potential is pretty low, now his ceiling and achieving the max is a reasonable question and one none of us can answer.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I think the best thing the Bulls have done to optimize Mirotic's development is sign Gasol. Pau knows what the European game is like and how it differs from the NBA game. This knowledge could really help Mirotic expand his game. If Mirotic wants to be a star player in this league, he has to develop more strength and a post game, it's as simple as that. I can't think of a better player than Pau to assist him with that since Gasol has been one of the best offensive big men in the NBA over the past decade.
Interesting. I wonder if the Bulls are visualizing a scenario where they bring both Mirotic & Gasol off the bench.

Starting lineup of:

Rose
Butler
McDermott
Taj
Noah

New BenchMob of:

Kirk/Brooks
Snell
Dunleavy
Mirotic
Gasol

Possibly????

Edited To Add Snell

Liked Posts:
His "bust" potential is pretty low, now his ceiling and achieving the max is a reasonable question and one none of us can answer.

True but one thing that's problematic is whether everyone insists on tying the notion of him achieving his potential to ppg. I can see this being a team being one where Mirotic gets hot and scores 35 in one game, then the next game someone else has the hot hand and Mirotic scores 8. If people are hard wired around the idea of him being the go to scorer and that it translates into 20+ ppg, that might not happen but that wouldn't necessarily be bad either.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Interesting. I wonder if the Bulls are visualizing a scenario where they bring both Mirotic & Gasol off the bench.

Starting lineup of:

Rose
Butler
McDermott
Taj
Noah

New BenchMob of:

Brooks
Kirk
Dunleavy
Mirotic
Gasol

Possibly????
That'd be a solid rotation imo. Scoring, passing, and defense in both lineups. This roster is very flexible and once Mirotic and McD get acquainted to the NBA rigors, there will be a lot of good lineups we'll be able to throw out there.