Most Pressing Draft Needs?

Most Pressing Draft Needs?

• Total voters

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am always in favor of drafting boys who can make an impact. Non-impact boys need not apply.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Agreed. It is time to swallow pride on Shaheen and make sure that TE does not sink the offense in 2019.
At the same time, it might be good for Shaheen as well to work on being a good role player for when we need him, instead of being relied upon as a frequent contributor. Take some snaps off his plate, reduce the responsibilities, and see how he grows for another year.

He grew a lot as a blocker when Fox led the team, and he's good at falling after the catch. I'm not ready to ax the guy yet.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Pace obviously waited too long to trade Jordan Howard. I say trade Adam Shaheen now while his value is highest. Get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and move on.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At the same time, it might be good for Shaheen as well to work on being a good role player for when we need him, instead of being relied upon as a frequent contributor. Take some snaps off his plate, reduce the responsibilities, and see how he grows for another year.

He grew a lot as a blocker when Fox led the team, and he's good at falling after the catch. I'm not ready to ax the guy yet.

Shaheen should compete for the #2 TE and be the #3 blocking TE.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The most pressing need is to get young talented players. Realistically based on the picks you guys have there should be no plan to get an impact player that can fill an existing hole. If the plan is to use a draft pick in a prominent role, then the plan is already broken.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The most pressing need is to get young talented players. Realistically based on the picks you guys have there should be no plan to get an impact player that can fill an existing hole. If the plan is to use a draft pick in a prominent role, then the plan is already broken.

I agree. Other than RB I do not see anyone picked at 87 who even has a path to starting.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I agree. Other than RB I do not see anyone picked at 87 who even has a path to starting.
There are a bunch of late round RBs that can fit or maybe more accurately put be a better fit than Jordan Howard. Take those 2 7th rounders (and/or UFDA) and look to add:

Bryce Love
Darrell Henderson
Dexter Williams
Alexander Mattison
Ryquell Armstead
Tony Pollard
Qadree Ollison

I also wouldn't rule out signing another vet after the draft. Ajayi, Ware, Yeldon or Martin are all just sitting there and won't cost too much. Personally I like the draft one, sign another one strategy. With Forte/Howard you guys haven't really seen this, but often the step up can be tough for a rookie and it shows up in terms of pass blocking and fumbles. Those two areas kill drives, so it's important to know what you have. As it stands Mike Davis will be getting a lot of snaps. I'm not saying he can't handle the role exclusively, it's just a pretty important one where he's the only one that has that set of skills.

TrapperKarl

Liked Posts:
Besides the obvious kicker and RB, no starters/immediate major contributors needed. Just need depth at CB/S, TE, OL, and OLB.

If one of Pace's & Nagy's fav RB is there at 87, take him. If not, I hope they go for a versatile DB such as Hooker or a TE.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yep, I don't see any holes. But as far as an impact player... Depends how one views Davis and Sheheen... but I think a draft RB and/or TE might be an impact player this year.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I also wouldn't rule out signing another vet after the draft. Ajayi, Ware, Yeldon or Martin are all just sitting there and won't cost too much. Personally I like the draft one, sign another one strategy. With Forte/Howard you guys haven't really seen this, but often the step up can be tough for a rookie and it shows up in terms of pass blocking and fumbles. Those two areas kill drives, so it's important to know what you have. As it stands Mike Davis will be getting a lot of snaps. I'm not saying he can't handle the role exclusively, it's just a pretty important one where he's the only one that has that set of skills.
It's not impossible, but I really doubt they sign another RB, because we see they've made their choice by signing Davis, and smothering this years RB draft class with interviews.

Davis, Cohen, draft RB, Patterson, Nall is a full house. I know Nall could go PS, and Patterson is technically a WR/KR, but Davis, Cohen and draft RB fills the lion's share.

Looking at tape, I don't see any holes in Davis. But I don't know what kind of blocker he is. There's a bit of a risk depending on the draft RB to be ready to be your prime RB, but this is the RB position, small risk. Rookies in mid-rounds have done well, like Pace's Howard.

Plus, I think Pace has earmarked the remaining $ for extensions. They have to ext Floyd, they can't/won't pay him $13+mil for 2020 (5th yr option), but I don't know if they have to use 2019 budget to do it.

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
the poll limit should had been set to 5 choices..
nevermind, i tired picking them all

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
WE do need a facking RB. A starting RB who can take the pounding and pound back. And we probably won't have that this season.

the needs is obvious
1 RB (A Rock Pounder, Bulldozer 3 down back guy)
2 TE (Hybrid TE)
3 OLB/Edge (keep bringing the heat)
4 CB (better depth needed)
5 OLine (depth)
and of course a kicker which i doubt we should draft and just sign a Udfa

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think they need a safety that can replace Dix next year while also hoping they find an RB that really fits this system. I’m fine with BPA for every pick.

I think we're straight with drafting a safety, many FA safeties is going to forming a line at Halas Hall each season. I believe HAHA had just started that trend for us. This defense will make anybody look like a star.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I will rank the top wants in positional order:

1) TE
2) Safety/CB
3) RB
4) OL

I think the draft my fall in that order for us as well...

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Looking at tape, I don't see any holes in Davis. But I don't know what kind of blocker he is. There's a bit of a risk depending on the draft RB to be ready to be your prime RB, but this is the RB position, small risk. Rookies in mid-rounds have done well, like Pace's Howard.
Davis is a good pass blocker. Probably a downgrade from Howard, who was exceptional in that area, but overall good.

For me the largest knock against Davis is that he hasn't done much. 234 total carries in 4 seasons and just 5 rushing TDs. I'd add before last season where Seattle went run heavy, his best YPC was 3.5. I'd add Davis' 4.6 YPC last year was good, but it was still less than Chris Carson 4.7 YPC and Rashaad Penny's 4.9 YPC.

I think his best football is in front of him, but it's tough to ignore that he hasn't accomplished much. Add in that as a prospect he was only 'meh'. A 4th rounder with okay production at South Carolina (SEC) and only had an okay combine it's tough to assume he'll just provide the production you grown to expect from Howard.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think at goal to go at the 3 yd line that trick plays and pounding the rock behind the likes of Hicks and or Sowell in the backfield is the ticket....then throw to the tackle eligible.

We do not NEED A Pounder. We need Another RB by committee that can do what Cohen can do but is even faster. That's why I think Love suits our needs between the 20s