Most Pressing Draft Needs?

Most Pressing Draft Needs?

• Total voters

Jcollins1977

Liked Posts:
Kicker is a given, but I’d say the biggest need is a backup swing Offensive lineman. A quality backup that can step in and not be a liability.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are a Burton injury away from serious offensive issues and a Davis injury away from Cohen getting 250 touches.

TE and RB are the biggest needs and it is not close.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The Bears are a Burton injury away from serious offensive issues and a Davis injury away from Cohen getting 250 touches.

TE and RB are the biggest needs and it is not close.

The difference is there are no te available outside of the draft. There are still plenty of rb last time I checked in fa that you can get after the draft if the rb they covet isn’t there for them

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Highest to lowest priority
K - need consistency
RB - howard is gone and davis is a relative unknown
G - long's health is question mark with no real depth
OLB - lynch is ok but can he stay healthy?
S - replacement for HHCD
TE - burton is move TE, shaheen is blocking TE, Braunecker is ?
CB - I like tolliver but is he ready to take over for prince in 2020?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I had to make cuts I would cut Shaheen before I cut 4 edges on the team [Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving].

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
K - need consistency
S - replacement for HHCD

K- for sure
TE-
RB & G
OLB
S
CB

The runs in the draft for K, G, RB & even TE to some degree, don’t start till later on in the draft usually. So I could see the best value being a guard, and the drop off from TE in the 3rd and the 4th being the more significant.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I let OLB breath for a season.

Lynch is a high quality back up.
Irving is young and has flashed in limited snaps.
Fitts is an elite athlete that you just drafted.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace obviously waited too long to trade Jordan Howard. I say trade Adam Shaheen now while his value is highest. Get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and move on.

Sarcasm?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
K - need consistency
S - replacement for HHCD
good to see you understand the Davis' questionable situation...IMO he's a backup at best.

RB, TE, CB, OLB, OLINE(OG)in draft and then BPA's in UDFA.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

if floyd or mack...........

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

I'll take your word for it that Fitts is an elite athlete. We haven't given enough time to assess him. Irving is very promising, he has steadily developed with time and snaps. OLB is a fairly complicated position, even when it's just a 3rd down passrush -- and clearly Fangio wanted more than that from his OLBs.

I'd still go with an OLB if it was clearly the BPA. Fitts was not impressive... he'd be safe on the PS. Lynch is great for 1 yr at this price, but he is still injury prone; As is Floyd, who at the moment, does not look like a great passrusher. So, we still need to find a great passrusher with lonesome Mack. Not that we'd find one from the 3rd Rd down, but hey, maybe.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If I had to make cuts I would cut Shaheen before I cut 4 edges on the team [Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving].
What's the scenario where you make that cut?

At this point, though wacky scenario, before cutting Sheehan, I'd probably cut Lynch, and probably Irving.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we sign those guys then we still only have 1 reliable TE.

The Bears have 2 starting OTs and reasonably competent backups.

The Bears do not have a 2nd starting TE.
A late round TE doesn't give us another reliable one but it's definitely one of the desires. I wish they'd make Nall into a Burton clone already.
I think what gets drafted from among RB TE S OLB and CB will depend on value of what's there. We may not even draft a RB (though we all think it extremely likely) if the draft falls funny or Pace expects guys like Love, Gaskin and Scarlett to go undrafted and available as UDFA. It's nice to be a destination for a change. Again, not what I expect, as somebody would slam this for what it's not. Very improbable as opposed to impossible.

If we sign those guys then we still only have 1 reliable TE.

The Bears have 2 starting OTs and reasonably competent backups.

The Bears do not have a 2nd starting TE.
Agreed. It is time to swallow pride on Shaheen and make sure that TE does not sink the offense in 2019.
These last 2 seem counterintuitive, especially when we're talking about players picked at or after 87.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think you will see the Bears approach the 4th round the way they approached the 2nd round last year. First round, the Bears clearly zeroed in on Roquan and were not moving because they knew he'd likely be there and that's who they wanted. ILB wasn't the biggest need, but still a position where they wanted someone to pair with Trevathan to form a spectacular duo. Then in the 2nd, they found themselves with 2 positions/players they wanted to pick, but only 1 pick....so they traded a future pick from the same round to get that 2nd need player.

I feel like the approach could be very similar this year, as the Bears likely have zeroed in on a RB they want at 87. While they aren't in a position to know for sure their guy will be there, they have looked at several options I'd imagine they'd be OK with taking. So, assuming they get a RB at 87 (don't think they move unless it's backwards).....they'll be stuck with a similar dilemma this year.

I think the Bears target a DB with their 4th round pick, and then don't be surprised if they look to get back into the end of the 4th to grab a TE. In 2018, the Bears invested a lot of money in the WR position, but still needed that 1 more guy to solidify the group and went up and got Miller. The Bears have invested a lot in the TE position also, over the last couple years. Sims and Burton were decent sized spends, Shaheen was a top 60 pick. Money was also spent this offseason on Braunecker. It hasn't worked out, but the Bears know they clearly don't have enough at the position. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears give up TWO of their potential six 2020 picks between rounds 4-5, to move back into the late 4th. They don't have a 2020 3rd, and getting into the high 4th typically requires a pick from a round higher in a future draft. The Patriots seem to be a team most willing to trade for future picks (and trade in general) so something like their 2019 4th for the Bears 2020 4th and 2020 5th could get the Bears an extra pick without losing one of their 5 and without trading back even deeper in a draft where they don't have any premium picks

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'll take your word for it that Fitts is an elite athlete. We haven't given enough time to assess him. Irving is very promising, he has steadily developed with time and snaps. OLB is a fairly complicated position, even when it's just a 3rd down passrush -- and clearly Fangio wanted more than that from his OLBs.

I'd still go with an OLB if it was clearly the BPA. Fitts was not impressive... he'd be safe on the PS. Lynch is great for 1 yr at this price, but he is still injury prone, as is Floyd, who at the moment, does not look like a great passrusher. So, we still need to find a great passrusher with lonesome Mack. Not that we'd find one from the 3rd Rd down, but hey, maybe.

Yeah i'm with you on OLB with hoping we draft another one with one of our earliest picks which i'd love to be our 3rd or 4th rounder. As you said our top two after Mack are both injury prone in Floyd and Lynch. K.Fitts showed me nothing in his very limited amount of time in the regular season, he really didn't even show anything in his gametime in the preseason but he was a late round rookie so lets see if he can show anything after having a year under his belt. I actually like I.Irving as a speed rusher and he did show something in his limited time he got towards the end of the season. If they don't draft one then maybe they'll sign one of the guys that are still out there after the draft because there's still some good names out there as of now.

E.Ansah--don't think we'd sign him cause he's probably gonna get a decent chunk on a one year deal from some team.
N.Perry-- when healthy he's produced.
S.Ray
Dion Jordan--i thought he was still with Seattle but it shows he isn't.
C.Barwin
D.Morgan
S.Acho--He's not a great pass rusher but he's good against the run and will get his occasional sack. He's also good in the locker room.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I never understood the Shaheen pick, but gave Pace the benefit of the doubt. The kid was a 2nd round pick from Ashland, a D-2 school and I thought we could have gotten him 2+ rounds later than we did.

Nonetheless, I'm not impressed with the TE group this year. The best mid-round guy available, IMO, is probably Josh Oliver. He may be a solid grab as a receiving TE, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is over drafted due to lack of talent at TE. Other than him, I say stay away from this years TE class.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I never understood the Shaheen pick, but gave Pace the benefit of the doubt. The kid was a 2nd round pick from Ashland, a D-2 school and I thought we could have gotten him 2+ rounds later than we did.

Nonetheless, I'm not impressed with the TE group this year. The best mid-round guy available, IMO, is probably Josh Oliver. He may be a solid grab as a receiving TE, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is over drafted due to lack of talent at TE. Other than him, I say stay away from this years TE class.

Yeah i also didn't understand picking him in the 2nd round, but i was thinking we could of gotten him in the 3rd because he was someone we knew about before the draft and what he showed in college was very intriguing even though it was at a small school against lower level talent. Even though i wasn't with the pick in the 2nd round and with his crazy injury history so far i still believe if he could just stay healthy and if Nagy believe's in him and calls plays for him that he could produce for us. I'm not sure if he'll live up to his 2nd round status but i'm past that now and just want to see the guy stay healthy and be used. At the very least he can be a good blocking TE and a really good red zone target.

In this TE class i think TJ Hockenson is gonna be the next great TE but for where we're picking i'm hoping for J.Sternberger.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah i also didn't understand picking him in the 2nd round, but i was thinking we could of gotten him in the 3rd because he was someone we knew about before the draft and what he showed in college was very intriguing even though it was at a small school against lower level talent. Even though i wasn't with the pick in the 2nd round and with his crazy injury history so far i still believe if he could just stay healthy and if Nagy believe's in him and calls plays for him that he could produce for us. I'm not sure if he'll live up to his 2nd round status but i'm past that now and just want to see the guy stay healthy and be used. At the very least he can be a good blocking TE and a really good red zone target.
So basically, you currently see a DUD but still hold belief that he's going to be just okay and while not ever elite he's "aight" and will be able to collect an NFL paycheck?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So basically, you currently see a DUD but still hold belief that he's going to be just okay and while not ever elite he's "aight" and will be able to collect an NFL paycheck?
@Jamais Vu ^^^

this is what I'm talking about - post a football focused response to @dabears70 and he runs away. This happens every day.

Thanks.