NBA abolishes the term "owner " due to racial insensitivity

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Well I guess they've been using governor for a long time according to Silver.

Associating the owner of the team with the owner of slaves never crossed my mind before.

People should try to understand the context in which a word is being used, but if one would rather not use it at all then that's fine too.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well I guess they've been using governor for a long time according to Silver.

Associating the owner of the team with the owner of slaves never crossed my mind before.

People should try to understand the context in which a word is being used, but if one would rather not use it at all then that's fine too.
If I own the company, I am the owner. And the employer. I do not own employees, and the thought never, ever crossed my mind.

The only people that would offend are the ones who wake up in the morning looking for something to be offended by.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
One could make the assertion that the overly sensitive people are the ones bothered by the term in the first place.

Not really sure how this changes anything but they can use any term they want it. It shouldn’t matter.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
If I own the company, I am the owner. And the employer. I do not own employees, and the thought never, ever crossed my mind.

The only people that would offend are the ones who wake up in the morning looking for something to be offended by.
You're correct. I was just trying to put it in a way that wouldn't bother the overly sensitive people we got around here.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I wonder if this trickles down to small business masters?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well, just as expected in a follow-up to Silver's actions. Rob Manfred just announced that MLB will be abolishing the term Skipper, due to reported trauma from years of having white bucket hats being ripped off heads only to be used as a weapon against the original wearer.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm not trying to say that I have the historical knowledge here, but they are gravitating more toward Governor instead of owner? I thought the word Governor has a direct relationship to plantations back in the day? Maybe I'm misremembering, but this would seem like a giant step in the wrong direction? Of course it's TMZ so who knows.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Well, just as expected in a follow-up to Silver's actions. Rob Manfred just announced that MLB will be abolishing the term Skipper, due to reported trauma from years of having white bucket hats being ripped off heads only to be used as a weapon against the original wearer.
Hilarious.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
One could make the assertion that the overly sensitive people are the ones bothered by the term in the first place.

Not really sure how this changes anything but they can use any term they want it. It shouldn’t matter.

That's putting it politely/mildly.