New kicker Eddie being the answer is iffy

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
To answer your question - You were already paying for him in terms of cap space, so why not chalk this past season up to a uncharacteristically bad season and understand when you make that contract you are somewhat stuck with the player for 2-3 years. Whomever you end up signing will just be an added cost at this point.

I agree the 27th in FG% and 24th in extra points isn't good. There's no hiding that. The slight item I'd bring up is those overall stats include dome or warm weather teams, which kick in far more favorable conditions in the back 1/2 of the season. I'm just saying there's a reason why Robbie's best 2 seasons were in San Francisco...

If he would have been on the roster his cap number would have been ~$4M, which would make him in the top 6-8 paid kickers. If he has a bounce back year and is in the top 10 in percentages he's about worth his salary. I'm not saying his salary was worth that production, but rather you were already committed to paying him, so why not give him a chance?

Because they still saved money. I am not absolving them of letting go of Gould, just understanding why they did it.

They thought he was on the decline and they were paying him a lot of money.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And now they are spending $3.5M for the kicker who's not on the roster.

To me if they are cheaping out on the position this suggests a return to Barth-town, so buckle up! It's going to be a rocky ride!

Just for reference:
  • 2015 - Gould in his regression/team rebuild season - 33/39 FGs, 84.6%, 7/9 from 50+
  • 2016 - Barth - 18/23, 78.3%, 1/3 from 50+
  • 2017 - Barth - 11/16, 68.8%, 1/2 from 50+ AND Nugent - 4/4, 100.0%, 1/1 from 50+
  • 2018 - Parkey in his horrible, terrible unspeakable season - 23/30, 76.7%, 1/2 from 50+
I don't see what they pay a kicker as an indicator for the chance of success at all . Other than a rare few, kickers as a whole enter the NFL as 7th rounders and or UDFAs, they all come in at near league minimum, some go on to long successful careers some never make a team. It's not until second contracts that they start making better money, we see how that turned out for Chicago last season

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wish I could get into this competition. Has there ever been a 6'6" kicker that played both soccer and rugby?

I can throw, catch, run a 4.5-4.6 at 40 years old, with long hair and a big beard. PLayed soccer for 19 years and just kicked for one...

Put up a YT video showcasing your skills! CCS would eat that it up. Lots of opinions here. It'd be seriously cool to see a member back it up! Get at it!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
To answer your question - You were already paying for him in terms of cap space, so why not chalk this past season up to a uncharacteristically bad season

It wasn't 'uncharacteristically bad', though. Parkey is not a good kicker. Weak leg, bad character. He's regressed for the last 5 years. The overwhelming likelihood is that Parkey will be even worse in 2019 than he was in 2018.

My favorite Parkey moment was at the start of the Bears' last drive against Philly, the sideline girl said she talked with Parkey, and he said his range was 47 yards. HA! I've never heard a kicker offer up a range that was less than 50, and even then Parkey was off by about 5 yards.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Parkey kicked for our ST coach in Cleveland and was coming off a 91% FG year. While Pace has to take ultimate blame, Tabor probably had significant influence in that signing. Pace brought in a bunch of guys that should significantly improve STs in 2019. If they underperform again, Tabor should be looking over his shoulder.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It wasn't 'uncharacteristically bad', though. Parkey is not a good kicker. Weak leg, bad character. He's regressed for the last 5 years. The overwhelming likelihood is that Parkey will be even worse in 2019 than he was in 2018.

My favorite Parkey moment was at the start of the Bears' last drive against Philly, the sideline girl said she talked with Parkey, and he said his range was 47 yards. HA! I've never heard a kicker offer up a range that was less than 50, and even then Parkey was off by about 5 yards.
Regressed for 5 years? His 2017 season in Miami was his best as a pro. In 2015 he tore his groin and was put on IR. I'm just confused with your claim. If you don't like the guy that's fine, but the stats are what they are.

Regarding him being worst in 2019 I'm not seeing it. 2019 was the worst of his career and he'll end up signing somewhere with a dome or is warmer and he'll be fine.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Parkey kicked for our ST coach in Cleveland and was coming off a 91% FG year. While Pace has to take ultimate blame, Tabor probably had significant influence in that signing. Pace brought in a bunch of guys that should significantly improve STs in 2019. If they underperform again, Tabor should be looking over his shoulder.

+ 1000

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Or your brother in law doesn’t pay much attention to special teams or is mistaken, which is fine—not judging him. He could be a smart, really good guy. But I don’t think I’m taking much out of one random fan’s opinion.

Liked Posts:
For anyone interested in how Eddy has been doing in OTAs... He has been killing it and the coaches are extremely happy with what they have seen of him so far. The situation that Eddy is coming into this season with Chicago is eerily similar to his arrival at Florida where he replaced a struggling kicker and became a sort of a Legend down in Gainesville. His name would be chanted by 98,000 fans every time he came out for a kick off, field goal, or extra point!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wish I could get into this competition. Has there ever been a 6'6" kicker that played both soccer and rugby?

I can throw, catch, run a 4.5-4.6 at 40 years old, with long hair and a big beard. PLayed soccer for 19 years and just kicked for one. Was the designated penalty kicker in soccer since a child, and never missed a kick in a game, took over the team position as penalty kicker freshman year of high school. Even puberty couldn't stop my accuracy if my power dipped for a year. 6'6" with [relatively] small feet (size 12-13) is the secret. Leverage and touch.

Fuck.

Inside about 43-45 yards I only take one step due to my long legs, to shorten the time to ball. A little half step is all I need but gets iffy at about 45. Then the full 2.5

Bullshit you run a 4.5

Complete horseshit

That is blazing fast for a laymen. Like fast enough that you would beat every kid at your local high school.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't seem like the Bears put too much effort into finding a good kicker. Just went with the philosophy that anyone else would have to be better than what they had.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
For anyone interested in how Eddy has been doing in OTAs... He has been killing it and the coaches are extremely happy with what they have seen of him so far. The situation that Eddy is coming into this season with Chicago is eerily similar to his arrival at Florida where he replaced a struggling kicker and became a sort of a Legend down in Gainesville. His name would be chanted by 98,000 fans every time he came out for a kick off, field goal, or extra point!
Link? It’s not that I don’t believe you I just want to read about it

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Didn't seem like the Bears put too much effort into finding a good kicker. Just went with the philosophy that anyone else would have to be better than what they had.
What would you have done??

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
latest

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Regressed for 5 years? His 2017 season in Miami was his best as a pro. In 2015 he tore his groin and was put on IR. I'm just confused with your claim. If you don't like the guy that's fine, but the stats are what they are.

Regarding him being worst in 2019 I'm not seeing it. 2019 was the worst of his career and he'll end up signing somewhere with a dome or is warmer and he'll be fine.

2017 in Miami - 21/23 FG, 1 FG of 50+, 26-29 XP (89%)
Rookie year 2014 in Philly - 32/36 FG, 4/4 GF 50+, 54/54 XP

Parkey's leg was so weak that Miami didn't even bother attempting long FGs with him. He also was far from automatic on XPs. His 2014 season in Philly was vastly superior to 2017...150 points vs. 89 points? When was the last time an NFL kicker played a full season as his team's regular kicker and ended up with less than 90 points? That's Connor Barf-type production.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Not sure why you are white knighting for Parkey. Weather had zero influence on his kicking last season, all Bears games were played in near perfect football weather. He is just a below average kicker that Pace stretched for and missed. If you consider 2017 the peak of his career, he was 8th in FG% only attempting 2 long range kicks all season missing 1of them. Other than that he ranked 8th, 38th(last),24th, 30th, of PFR's qualified kickers. Since his groin injury he has attempted 5 FG longer than 50 yards. Nineteen NFL kickers attempted that many or more last season alone. Dude was overpaid, under prepared, mentally weak, and ultimately a selfish attention whore.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Speaking of kickers, if this guy doesn't work out, maybe it's worth bringing back Roberto Aguayo. Pretty good article; he seems to have turned a mental corner.