NFL.com's Top contenders for ROY honors

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would say the Bears OL when healthy is above average.

That has a lot to do with the brutal OLs in the NFL and having 5 guys who are solid on the OL is often better than 3 really good players and 2 scrubs because of the unit aspect of the position.

They have the best OL in the division, but again that is not a huge accomplishment.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They have the best OL in the division, but again that is not a huge accomplishment.

FO's Adj run yards and adj sack rate rankings for NFC North O-lines...league average total ranking is 32

Bears = 28/7 : 35 below average
Packers = 7/21: 28 above average
Lions = 20/12: 32 average
Vikings = 23/9: 32 average

So the metrics say the Bears have the worst OL in the division

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
FO's Adj run yards and adj sack rate rankings for NFC North O-lines...league average total ranking is 32

I am legitimately surprised by those rankings. The Bears runs game really killed them in these rankings.

The Vikings OL was bad most of the season and I am surprised by their sack rating, as it seemed Cousins was under pretty consistent pressure, or at least that was given for his underwhelming play.

The Packers did run the ball well.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Seems like some people felt that too many posters were bashing the David Montgomery pick. Others like myself thought this pick brought out a great deal of over the top euphoric optimism. We all hope for a good result. Are we now doing an analysis of our analysis of this draft pick?

I remember the CCS analysis of this draft pick was "Khalil Mack was 100 percent worthy of the Bears' interest. He played lights-out in 2018 and I suspect will be a force over the next few seasons, barring injury (which was a bit of a concern last year)."

If Pace was intent on trading up, he could have traded up two more spots and gotten Darrell Henderson of Memphis, as I said almost verbatim in Post #1. Miles Sanders went toward the end of Round 2, so perhaps that was too far out of reach for Pace, but Henderson and Sanders would have 'moved the needle' for me as, again, I said almost verbatim in Post #1. Montgomery appears to be 'competent' IMO. Again, I could be way off and Montgomery ends up being the next Matt Forte. I'm just giving my opinion.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of the leagues best offensive lines? Sounds like Long owes Trubisky a steak.

There should have been an asterisk on that comment. They are if you're looking at pass blocking but not so much when its run blocking.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's fair to say Bears' OL is better vs. their defenses, than DM's was @ Iowa St. was vs. theirs. Yes, absolutely.

Is the Bears' OL great or feared? Not IMO, or that of most. You'll be hard pressed to back that up.

I DO believe being a better fit and less predictable will lead to better results with the same OL this season - provided age & injury doesn't force tier 2 or 3 backups in there vs. a tough schedule.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the ROY comes out of the NFCN, my money's on Hockenson

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s nice to see that the Bears 3rd round pick is in the mix with a lot of other teams’ first round picks for ROY. I don’t see him getting it though.

If Pace hits on this draft class I will be extremely impressed with him. Consistently finding starters in the middle rounds could end up being his super power. lol.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

This. We got overall poor play from the interior line in 2018. It was bad enough that it became difficult to evaluate the T play. They got better grades but when the closer D guys get there 1st the Ts get better scores. That said, I expect the line to play well this year but it was a negative aspect of the O last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why do you expect this?
Tackles are average to above, solid, Daniels should be well along his learning curve and looked better as he got more reps. The off season should help Daniels and especially Long get their bodies into NFL condition. Long's best attribute last year was that he was hard to move due to his Buddha belly. He hasn't been able to train in the off season for years and I expect him to be renewed and refreshed this coming one. His 'might play T' days are over but he should still be able to play his spot at a high level if healthy.

I personally like Whitehair at C. He's good at all aspects other than shotgun snaps which is sorted well enough. If the Bear move Daniels there it will be due to snapping with the ball getting there faster and more consistently with a spiral. I like Daniels at G with our current roster. I'm sure Cody would be fine there as well but Daniels will become the better drive blocker. Both are good getting to the 2nd level but Cody has already shown to be VG at combo blocking, shading the G that needs more help and picking up defenders in space. That's important for a guy that often doesn't have a set assignment. He doesn't have that big anchor but extremely strong hands which is a life saver at the position.

Last edited:

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Tackles are average to above, solid, Daniels should be well along his learning curve and looked better as he got more reps. The off season should help Daniels and especially Long get their bodies into NFL condition. Long's best attribute last year was that he was hard to move due to his Buddha belly. He hasn't been able to train in the off season for years and I expect him to be renewed and refreshed this coming one. His 'might play T' days are over but he should still be able to play his spot at a high level if healthy.

I personally like Whitehair at C. He's good at all aspects other than shotgun snaps which is sorted well enough. If the Bear move Daniels there it will be due to snapping with the ball getting there faster and more consistently with a spiral. I like Daniels at G with our current roster. I'm sure Cody would be fine there as well but Daniels will become the better drive blocker. Both are good getting to the 2nd level but Cody has already shown to be VG at combo blocking, shading the G that needs more help and picking up defenders in space. That's important for a guy that often doesn't have a set assignment. He doesn't have that big anchor but extremely strong hands which is a life saver at the position.
I think going into this season counting on Long to contribute anything of value is a mistake, as evidenced by the past 3 seasons. Obviously, Pace disagrees with me, as they decided (and were limited by resources) to do very little to bolster the interior.

It's also possible we start to see a decline in Massie, as he'll be 30 entering the season.

Overall, I'd wager much of the same from this unit this season. Quite frankly, I'd be shocked to see a clear "improvement", and definitely don't 'expect' it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No way to know until Sept. but I expect Long to come back to VG. I'll be disappointed if he starts the season wider than tall.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It’s nice to see that the Bears 3rd round pick is in the mix with a lot of other teams’ first round picks for ROY. I don’t see him getting it though.

I view that as a huge negative. A 3rd round pick is expected to get the majority of offensive touches on a 12-4 team?! Makes you wonder what on earth the GM is doing, and how the young QB is going to make the next step (fire up the Cutler 'supporting cast' sob story, too).

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It's fair to say Bears' OL is better vs. their defenses, than DM's was @ Iowa St. was vs. theirs. Yes, absolutely.

Since you made such a definitive statement, please provide stats/link/anything to back up this claim. Thanks in advance.

Is the Bears' OL great or feared? Not IMO, or that of most. You'll be hard pressed to back that up.

Do you ever read the postings already made in the thread before contributing?

Is the Bears OL great? Is the Bears OL feared? I think the bigger question is, can you read?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would say the Bears OL when healthy is above average.

I agree (though i think it's pass blocking that's more their strength) , and i loved the Montgomery pick. I'm very optimistic about what he can do.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When healthy, OL is average at best. 2015 was the time the Bears sent an OL to the pro bowl. I keep hearing about how Montgomery had no college OL, so average might be an upgrade.
Charles Leno last year

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Rookie of the year often comes down to touches.

Montgomery should get a lot of touches.
Rookie of the year often comes down to touches.

Montgomery should get a lot of touches.
As the lead back last year Howard had 15.6 att. per game to go along with his receptions. If Montgomery as the 2019 Bears lead back as many touches as Howard he might be in the running for ROY.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I agree (though i think it's pass blocking that's more their strength) , and i loved the Montgomery pick. I'm very optimistic about what he can do.
Ah shit!!!! If you like him, that means he will suck.