NHL Playoffs thread

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Flames choked away a game and perhaps the series. Two 8-seeds winning in the same year?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like it. Flames are paper tigers

Yeah...the key is they are paper tigers in a division not named the Central west.

Avs emerge as 5th team and the fucking Hawks and Wild probably would have given them trouble too.

Tough to gauge the rest of west when the better central teams are tied up against tough match-ups in house right now.

By that I mean...Dallas is probably the weakest team in the playoffs on either side but they have arguably the best net-minder making them a chore for Preds.

Preds look to me like the best team in West...however getting by Bishop is proving a serious test.

Meanwhile...the physical juggernauts of Blues/Jets are forced to beat each other up rather than tenderizing some of these smaller teams that might wilt. The victor will present a unique issue that the Knights would have to deal with eventually.

It looks like Knights vs the Central....

Final answer is the Knights can take out the Avs or Stars certainly but the Jets and Preds are probably too much for them if they can survive their difficult tasks.

I put the Blues at the Knights level.

1. Preds
2. Jets
3. Blues/Knights

I am fairly certain one of the Jets/Preds will survive 1st round and I would look to them to clean up the rest fairly easily unless they face each other.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...the key is they are paper tigers in a division not named the Central west.

Avs emerge as 5th team and the fucking Hawks and Wild probably would have given them trouble too.

Tough to gauge the rest of west when the better central teams are tied up against tough match-ups in house right now.

By that I mean...Dallas is probably the weakest team in the playoffs on either side but they have arguably the best net-minder making them a chore for Preds.

Preds look to me like the best team in West...however getting by Bishop is proving a serious test.

Meanwhile...the physical juggernauts of Blues/Jets are forced to beat each other up rather than tenderizing some of these smaller teams that might wilt. The victor will present a unique issue that the Knights would have to deal with eventually.

It looks like Knights vs the Central....

Final answer is the Knights can take out the Avs or Stars certainly but the Jets and Preds are probably too much for them if they can survive their difficult tasks.

I put the Blues at the Knights level.

1. Preds
2. Jets
3. Blues/Knights

I am fairly certain one of the Jets/Preds will survive 1st round and I would look to them to clean up the rest fairly easily unless they face each other.

Don't agree about the Preds at all. Good D, can't score.
I'll stick with Vegas as my pick to click. Regardless of the result tonight. Blues are riding a train soon to derail imo

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have no idea what Trouba was doing in his own zone. Just stopping and not clearing the puck out of the zone, and on top of that letting a guy get in the crease without covering him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Don't agree about the Preds at all. Good D, can't score.
I'll stick with Vegas as my pick to click. Regardless of the result tonight. Blues are riding a train soon to derail imo

I hope so. They were about to go down 3-2, and came back to win. And there are no good teams remaining. I don't want to see them finally accomplish something in the playoffs. I don't think the Jets respond tonight with a win, but if they do, I will be very happy.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Blues have been one of the best teams in the NHL since January. They might take the West

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm going by goalies....

Blues/Knights/Blue Jackets/Bruins/Stars

I am kinda excited to see the Bruins play their road elimination game in two hours.

If they win game 6...I think the Bruins can win it all. Otherwise I will take the Blue Jackets.
But winning @Leafs is a bad predicament.

This year is their window before they lose Panarin.

Best remaining chances

1. Bruins
2. Blue Jackets
3. Blues
4. Preds

Last edited:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm still hoping Vegas comes out of the West. Just do not want to see St. Louis. East I like C-bus right now.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Blues have been one of the best teams in the NHL since January. They might take the West

Just a novice's opinion from a guy who only watches playoff hockey, but IMO the Blues look like the toughest team in the West.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just a novice's opinion from a guy who only watches playoff hockey, but IMO the Blues look like the toughest team in the West.

To go from the worst record in the NHL in January to easily disposing of the Jets is quite an impressive feat. The playoffs are wide open this year (which is is pretty common in hockey).

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Canada has been eliminated after the first round.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Jones gets going I’ve seen him play good enough to win it all before.

Bruins or Sharks

will prove too much for the others, Imo.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not buying the Blues despite all the love they're getting. Sharks vs Knights is basically the WCF. If the Knights and Canes go down, all in on Columbus because I am not fond of any remaining Western or Eastern teams.

Also, have developed a strong dislike for the Caps. Cheap and mouthy. Canes have given them all they can handle. Wait til next year for the Canes, love the way they play.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I mean Colombus has some pieces, and the last 4 teams that swept such prestigious president cup all timers went on to lift the cup.

But for some reason I sense they must be flawed in some way to be an 8 seed and limp home at that, my gut says they will meet a matchup they can’t deal with.

I’ll stick with sharks/bruins final,

But my dark horse would be CBJ.

I’ve seen playoff Jake Allen before and he can be like Gibson when hot. Huge men who will have to be vanquished, and in Blues case might have most athletic team remaining around him. Somebody will have to yet stand up to physicality of Vegas/Blues/Islanders.

But I don’t see the usual firepower a cup winner has even on that second tier of teams left. Those first 3 have a lot of legends spread around all lines defense and offense.

So I’ll stick with Sharks/Bruins, with a wink and a nod to CBJ, and I’m pretty good at this, calling the winner in both NBA and NHL about 16 of last 20 if you give me two choices.

S.J., CBJ, or my gut says Bruins will give Boston a triple, while we see a very very elite GSW squad is only thing that prevents the impossible...a quadruple. NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB.

This might be the closest anyone ever gets to the quad.