Nick Mullens vs Jimmy Garoppolo

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Who should be the starting QB next season? Both will get a lot of potential trade value next year.

Can’t wait to necro this thread next year.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Mullen made some crazy good throws under pressure against us. He could be a solid QB.

But there's no way SF can move on from Jimmy's bloated contract. And once they can, Mullen wont be a bargain anymore. Sucks for them...

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Nick Mullens:

7 games started.

153 of 241 (63.5%) for 10 TDs, 7 INTs for a 91.2 passer rating

Jimmy Garoppalo:

8 games started (with 49ers)

173 of 267 (64.8%) for 12 TDs, 8 INTs for a 94.1 passer rating

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who cares?

Any 49ers QB < Trubisky

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Super bad injury year for them. They could be right back in the mix next year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nick Mullens:

7 games started.

153 of 241 (63.5%) for 10 TDs, 7 INTs for a 91.2 passer rating

Jimmy Garoppalo:

8 games started (with 49ers)

173 of 267 (64.8%) for 12 TDs, 8 INTs for a 94.1 passer rating

Repost.

Jimmy G is a scrub. If we all didn't literally grow up blocks away from him no one would give two fucks about him. He played well in NE, since coming to the niners he has been much worse than trubisky but somehow still gets media hype as being a great up-and-comer. He consistently overthrows/underthrows receivers and has much worse ball security than a current age nfl qb should have.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mullen made some crazy good throws under pressure against us. He could be a solid QB.

But there's no way SF can move on from Jimmy's bloated contract. And once they can, Mullen wont be a bargain anymore. Sucks for them...

John Lynch strikes again. Who would have thunk that giving a qb with less than a full season of starts one of the biggest contracts in nfl history was a horrible decision? Honestly, that deal more than likely had to be done, but you legit traded for a guy on an expiring rookie deal that BARELY played, and then gave him more money than any QB at the time. Makes ZERO sense.

If anything every shouted "franchise tag", it's that fucking guy.

Imagine the outrage if we gave trubisky the biggest deal in nfl qb history after this season, thats essentially what the niners did, except tru has shown more and played more games than Jimmy. That 9ers team is in for a sad sad reality going forward if Jimmy doesn't become a top 5 QB.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Everyone laughed at Brandon Weeden being drafted as a 29 year old but Jimmy Garappolo is about to go into his age 28 season and not even had what could be remotely described as a full season starting games. I know the league gets a little carried away obsessing over youth, when really you should be obsessing over contract status, but to me this is ridiculous. Mitch right now, at age 24, looks better than Garappolo ever has yet the perception around the league is backwards.

To answer OP's question I'd take Mullens. Simple fact being I can spend silly money on other things whereas with Garappolo the contract is an albatross.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Jimmy has major durability issues. Don't think you can count on him to stay upright.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
Everyone laughed at Brandon Weeden being drafted as a 29 year old but Jimmy Garappolo is about to go into his age 28 season and not even had what could be remotely described as a full season starting games. I know the league gets a little carried away obsessing over youth, when really you should be obsessing over contract status, but to me this is ridiculous. Mitch right now, at age 24, looks better than Garappolo ever has yet the perception around the league is backwards.

To answer OP's question I'd take Mullens. Simple fact being I can spend silly money on other things whereas with Garappolo the contract is an albatross.

Good point about the contracts. I'd still like to see how Jimmy G does for a full season or two.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Good point about the contracts. I'd still like to see how Jimmy G does for a full season or two.

If he can make it thru a full season. His injury this season was one of the dumbest plays a QB could make. So much for his "warrior spirit."

Limp Ditka

Liked Posts:
John Lynch strikes again. Who would have thunk that giving a qb with less than a full season of starts one of the biggest contracts in nfl history was a horrible decision? Honestly, that deal more than likely had to be done, but you legit traded for a guy on an expiring rookie deal that BARELY played, and then gave him more money than any QB at the time. Makes ZERO sense.

If anything every shouted "franchise tag", it's that fucking guy.

Imagine the outrage if we gave trubisky the biggest deal in nfl qb history after this season, thats essentially what the niners did, except tru has shown more and played more games than Jimmy. That 9ers team is in for a sad sad reality going forward if Jimmy doesn't become a top 5 QB.
Hit the nail on the head here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
If he can make it thru a full season. His injury this season was one of the dumbest plays a QB could make. So much for his "warrior spirit."

It wasn't a smart play for a qb true, but until it's happened you don't think it will happen to you. If he does something like that again it'd be really surprising.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It wasn't a smart play for a qb true, but until it's happened you don't think it will happen to you. If he does something like that again it'd be really surprising.

His options were go out of bounds and avoid the hit or lunge into a LB(?) and maybe gain a half a yard in a game that was already decided. Idiotic decision

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The 49ers should have franchised JimmieG. They now have no option but to keep him and either sit or trade Mullens. Although in all fairness Garoppolo does have more arm talent and better footwork. If (big if) Garoppolo can stay healthy he should be the better choice long term.