***Official*** 2019 Spring Training Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs apparently are sending Happ down to AAA. I'm sort of ok with this. He was having a rough spring and clearly is still working on some stuff. Not entirely sure what it means if anything long term.

Called it. The other potential pitcher got cut. Maples is the most likely reason. He has closer upside.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They said it was a lack of playing time. And the reality is they signed a vet to fill the bench lefty and Bote hits RH.

I would just look at this as they are committed to Almora right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You are right.

3/1/19RHP Jose Rosario assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/2/19C Miguel Amaya assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/5/19SS Nico Hoerner assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/8/19LF Zach Borenstein assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/8/19Kansas City Royals traded CF Donnie Dewees to Chicago Cubs for RHP Stephen Ridings.
3/8/19Chicago Cubs released RHP Rob Scahill.
3/9/192B Levi Jordan assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/9/19RF Roberto Caro assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/9/19CF Connor Myers assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/9/19SS Rafael Narea assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/9/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Oscar De La Cruzto Tennessee Smokies.
3/9/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Adbert Alzolay to Iowa Cubs.
3/9/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Jen-Ho Tseng to Iowa Cubs.
3/9/19Chicago Cubs optioned LHP Justin Steele to Tennessee Smokies.
3/15/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP James Norwoodto Iowa Cubs.
3/15/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Rowan Wick to Iowa Cubs.
3/15/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Duane Underwood Jr. to Iowa Cubs.
3/15/19Chicago Cubs signed free agent OF Felix Stevens to a minor league contract.
3/18/19Chicago Cubs released RHP Mario Meza.
3/19/19OF Cole Roederer assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/19/19RHP Thomas Hatch assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/20/19Chicago Cubs released RHP Christian Bergman.
3/22/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Alec Mills to Iowa Cubs.
3/22/19Chicago Cubs signed free agent CF Cristian More to a minor league contract.
3/22/19Chicago Cubs signed free agent RHP Jonathan Alvarez to a minor league contract.
3/23/19SS Luis Vazquez assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/23/19RHP Ryan Williams assigned to Chicago Cubs.
3/24/19Chicago Cubs optioned Dillon Maples to Iowa Cubs.
3/24/19Chicago Cubs optioned Taylor Davis to Iowa Cubs.
3/24/19Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Alec Mills to Iowa Cubs.
3/24/19Chicago Cubs optioned Ian Happ to Iowa Cubs.
3/24/19Chicago Cubs released RHP Junichi Tazawa.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know they are looking at the waver wire but now I'm a bit confused on what direction that they are thinking. Alan Webster is a hard maybe

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
They said it was a lack of playing time. And the reality is they signed a vet to fill the bench lefty and Bote hits RH.

I would just look at this as they are committed to Almora right now.

As they should be.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So the cubs mostly AAA team is kicking the ever loving hell out of the pads likely opening day roster or close to it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The 36-year-old Duensing (under contract for $3.5 million this season) will be exposed to waivers -- meaning any other team can claim him -- but could be outrighted to Triple-A if he clears and accepts the assignment.
With Duensing no longer in the bullpen competition, the battle for the last spot is down to righty Allen Webster (non-roster invitee) and lefties Kyle Ryan and Randy Rosario (both on the 40-man roster). The Cubs also are still exploring external alternatives as the season opener Thursday against the Rangers nears.
Maddon did note that there would be a benefit to having a second lefty in the Opening Day bullpen. As things stand, the lone lefty is Mike Montgomery, with Pedro Strop, Steve Cishek, Brad Brach, Carl Edwards Jr., Brandon Kintzler and Tyler Chatwood rounding out the cast.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It has the feel of Zag to platoon with Schwarber in left. The splits justify it.

Happ wouldn't get enough AB's in that platoon and that is his weaker side.

Now the 2nd lefty scenerio is a bit off. I'm thinking none of the above right now. Ryan and Roserio are meh

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I do like that they put Happ back in the minors. It is best to keep people on the team based on performance. Puts people like Contreras and Russell on notice. And although Heyward is probably the worst hitter on the team, there is no way they can do the same with his contract and likely lack of options.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do like that they put Happ back in the minors. It is best to keep people on the team based on performance. Puts people like Contreras and Russell on notice. And although Heyward is probably the worst hitter on the team, there is no way they can do the same with his contract and likely lack of options.

They felt that Happ was working on adjustments and it would take continuing play for it to set in.

It was not a punishment based decision. It was from a development one.

Vets make better part time players because they are adjusted to the league already. Kids like Happ suffer from part time play.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now regarding Zag:. IDK where this ends up. He seems set to platoon in left but he has also hit RH pitchers well. So we might see him in RF with Heyward in CF. It really depends on production here.

Zag has been the forgotten guy for a while now and who knows. He can hit and he knows the strike zone. He might end up a unlikely asset

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I would not put it past the cubs keep 14 pitchers on the roster out of spring and put Zagunis in AAA too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maddon did note that there would be a benefit to having a second lefty in the Opening Day bullpen. As things stand, the lone lefty is Mike Montgomery, with Pedro Strop, Steve Cishek, Brad Brach, Carl Edwards Jr., Brandon Kintzler and Tyler Chatwood rounding out the cast.

"Yeah, it'd be kind of nice to have more than one [lefty]," said Maddon, whose club has a nine-game road trip through Texas, Atlanta and Milwaukee to start the season. "We're playing the Rangers, who are very left-handed dominant. The Braves have some really good left-handed hitters and so do the Brewers. However, the way our starters line up, we still have three left-handed starters, which kind of can ameliorate those concerns a bit.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont think they planned for Collins to make the team, but Rosario has shown he can get some outs if he is not too frustrated about the bus rides to iowa

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Now regarding Zag:. IDK where this ends up. He seems set to platoon in left but he has also hit RH pitchers well. So we might see him in RF with Heyward in CF. It really depends on production here.

Zag has been the forgotten guy for a while now and who knows. He can hit and he knows the strike zone. He might end up a unlikely asset
If he makes the team you can move him around likely. He was a catcher so i'd imagine he has the arm for lf or rf. Almora isn't going to play vs every RH pitcher so you can slide Heyward to CF and Zag to RF on those days and on days Schwarber sits you can play in LF

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he makes the team you can move him around likely. He was a catcher so i'd imagine he has the arm for lf or rf. Almora isn't going to play vs every RH pitcher so you can slide Heyward to CF and Zag to RF on those days and on days Schwarber sits you can play in LF

His walk rate is a plus.

Tim Dirkes thought it was a chicken or the egg thing with Almora.

He can't hit righties.
He needs regular playing time to get better at it.

He thinks that he is a regular in general.

I just think that the Cubs are in produce or sit mode right now. That is why the booted Happ and brought up Zag. Zag hits and takes walks. Rest is bullshit on a contender.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont think they planned for Collins to make the team, but Rosario has shown he can get some outs if he is not too frustrated about the bus rides to iowa

I am not sure on it. Both Ryan and Roserio produced worse than Duesing. Which is why this is perplexing. Cedenio will come up later and he was the 2nd lefty IMO. Duesing had to revert back to 2017 to justify a opertunity. Ryan and Roserio have both been hit hard. That is a big issue.

Now Duesing was not kicked off of the 40. He didn't make the 25. Now he could get picked up. No. Or ask for a release. Why? So at that point he is in Iowa on the 40 man. So they would have to cut to add Webster.

That is why this is a head scratcher. I thought demote Happ promote Maples. Done. Then they just went and started pulling plugs late in the game with out definite answers.