Official CCS Grillmasters thread

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you are trying to do it in a certain time frame you wrap it in foil.

If not, you wait it out.

This... quite honestly the standard cooking for big chunks of meat is to wrap in foil when you hit the stall so u can power thru it.

If you know you have big stretches of time like a BBQ restaurant knows they can throw stuff in at say 8pm the night before and let it go overnight and take it out when ready even if that is 12-16 hours, they can do that.

However if you're cooking a pork butt or brisket for your family.... you don't want to start your cook at 6am and go "Ok guys dinner will be anywhere from 6pm to midnight if the stall is bad" lol

Always better to wrap thru the stall, and finish early, drop it into a cooler lined with towels, and now your meat will be good to go whenever guests arrive and you're ready to serve.

FTR I've had pork butt stall on me for 4+ hours.... not worth playing that game.... wrap it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So when it stalls, it will recover and begin to heat further up if given enough time without the foil wrap, do I have that summary right?

As long as you keep it on heat, eventually it will, yes.

There is a great explanation here

TL;DR version

The meat is sweating, and the moisture evaporates and cools the meat just like sweat cools you after cutting the lawn on a hot day.

For years, competition cooks have employed a trick called the Texas crutch. The crutch is an old method of wrapping the meat with aluminum foil and adding a splash of liquid like apple juice or beer. It is popular on the BBQ competition circuit. The conventional wisdom was that the moisture creates a bit of steam that tenderizes the meat, and since steam conducts heat faster than air, it speeds cooking. Typically, cooks wrap the meat when it hits 170°F or so, deep into the stall.

The truth is that there is no evaporative cooling inside the foil at 225°F. Foil prevents evaporation and over a period of hours, the temperature inside the foil slowly approaches a low simmer. Any moisture that comes out of the meat just pools in the foil along with the liquid the cook adds. "It's like running a marathon in a rain coat. You'll sweat, but it won't cool you off." There is fog inside the foil, but no steam cooking. Yet there is a form of braising! Braising is a wet method of cooking similar to stewing or poaching, but the food is usually not completely submerged in a braise, as they are in those other methods. Braising is more like what happens in a slow cooker.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That link that Ares posted is definitely the best description I've seen online for this. And it's easy to digest for your average reader too.

I think I might have to cook/smoke something this weekend.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Wow, thaks for the link to the explanation. It makes way more sense on why "the stall" is different for each cook. I'm going to have to try to cook through the stall instead of wrapping one of these days to see the difference in final product (pork shoulder or brisket).

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
All grill for Easter Sunday. Jalapeño poppers, Kielbasa, Filet Mignon, Ny Strip for me, Roasted corn on the cob, Grilled Tators, Grilled Ceaser Salad, and homemade Naan bread infused with chilies and garlic then grilled.

Reactions: DC

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
what about for chardonnay?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whose got the best grilled wing recipe @here?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thoughts and prayers

iu

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Im a big believer in naked frying them. Tossing in whatever sauce you want then throwing them on the grill for some nice caramelization.
I've got a solid recipe for breading and baking them, but want to grill them. I'm a bit tired of the usual buffalo wing sauce. Any recommendations?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like to do a sirachi/honey glaze with a little sesame oil and spices mixed in. Garlic/parm is always good.

Also, if I do wings in oven. I season them well then toss in a light coating of corn starch. Place them on a rack and turn half way through. Nice and crispy wings.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I like to do a sirachi/honey glaze with a little sesame oil and spices mixed in. Garlic/parm is always good.

Also, if I do wings in oven. I season them well then toss in a light coating of corn starch. Place them on a rack and turn half way through. Nice and crispy wings.

I have heard that a dusting of corn starch is the way to go for the crispy wing. I haven't ever tried it as I rarely make wings at home.

personally if I am going to make something like wings I just do drummies and call it a day.