Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
wait

you mean to tell me you didn't make your first babybacks by coating with crushed juniper berries and fennel seeds, wrapping them in pork belly, tying it off with butcher twine and spritzing with ume plum vinegar before smoking them for 3 days at 200 degrees?
Plum vinegar??? What, is this amateur hour?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Since I got my smoker, I can do a very good, basic slab of ribs. 2 years later and I have no need to ever follow a recipe to make a killer batch of ribs. Of course through trial and error I've found ways in which I can improve things, but I would have never imagined just going ahead and trying something without reading some shit first.
The first ribs I ever did I watched a step by step video and they to this day might be the best ribs I've ever made.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The first ribs I ever did I watched a step by step video and they to this day might be the best ribs I've ever made.
Just reading blogs, watching vids, and participating in Facebook groups, there are a ton of different methods to smoking ribs. The one I prefer takes the longest, but I get a lot of compliments on how well they turn out.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess that's the confusing part to me: if you've never cooked something before, why would you think you could try something out of the ordinary and it would work?

So much this @brett05

No innocent piece of meat needs to go through the kind of horrors you have described this morning just because you thought you were literally the first person on the planet to smoke brisket.

The entire state of Texas are flying flags half mast this afternoon for that piece of bovine.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So much this @brett05

No innocent piece of meat needs to go through the kind of horrors you have described this morning just because you thought you were literally the first person on the planet to smoke brisket.

The entire state of Texas are flying flags half mast this afternoon for that piece of bovine.

Did you read the part where his brisket was only 2 lbs??

Texans would piss themselves laughing at the idea of a 2 lb piece of brisket. It's the equivalent of buying a 2 ounce ribeye (i guess that would just be the eye???)
:obama:

If that brisket had normal brisket consistency wouldn't it cook down to just over a lb???? ???

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
A 2# brisket does hardly seem worth it. You're better off going to Hog Wild in Midlothian and getting the Brisket sammie with some redskin potaters for $10.99. They also have their pierogi lady back, so you can get 5 of those for an extra $2.99

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
2 lbs did seem odd. Maybe he just got scammed on some Round Roast that got run over by a hand truck?
I think it was probably just a point cut scrap that they sell for people to use in their burger blends.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A 2# brisket does hardly seem worth it. You're better off going to Hog Wild in Midlothian and getting the Brisket sammie with some redskin potaters for $10.99. They also have their pierogi lady back, so you can get 5 of those for an extra $2.99
Do they stuff theirs with bacon and onion before blasting it at 500 degrees though? Does it come served in a garbage can?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I need to pick up a new smoker. Strongly considering a Weber Smokey Mountain, either 18 or 22". Anyone have one or have an opinion on them?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I need to pick up a new smoker. Strongly considering a Weber Smokey Mountain, either 18 or 22". Anyone have one or have an opinion on them?

The 18" is the only smoker I ever owned. Loved it because I have a such small porch to use it on and it took up so little space. You cannot do a lot in there, but I usually only feed two people...maybe 4-6 the rare times I host people.

Some spineless POS yanked it off my porch the one time I forgot to lock it up. I miss it so.

****ing Chicago.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wanna say an eight pound pork shoulder was the largest thing I ever fit in it FYI.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thank you! Real helpful. That's about my normal cook volume, but sometimes I need a little more than that. I think I'm gonna go for the 22. There are two racks right? So something like ribs you could probably pack more on. But something like a Boston butt you're dealing with one rack.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
You know, I might get shit for this, but I am not a fan of pork ribs.

I've tried them several times at restaurants, made them myself on the smoker probably 8 or ten times, and while they have great flavor and good bite, they just aren't right for me.

I think it is the fat content or something. I am pretty much down with every meat, but I can pass on pork ribs without a second thought.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Did you read the part where his brisket was only 2 lbs??

Texans would piss themselves laughing at the idea of a 2 lb piece of brisket. It's the equivalent of buying a 2 ounce ribeye (i guess that would just be the eye???)
:obama:

If that brisket had normal brisket consistency wouldn't it cook down to just over a lb???? ???

I honestly think he just had the tip. Just to see if it was nice.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Do they stuff theirs with bacon and onion before blasting it at 500 degrees though? Does it come served in a garbage can?

That sounds like some kinda fucked up Juicy Lucy...