Official CCS Grillmasters thread

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I need to pick up a new smoker. Strongly considering a Weber Smokey Mountain, either 18 or 22". Anyone have one or have an opinion on them?

If you are considering pellet I would look at GMG and pit boss.... I have a traeger and they are good, but I think the name has a few dollars tagged onto it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My sister and brother inlaw are hosting 4th of July and dual purposing the party as my niece's 3rd bday party.... she was born 7/3 so I think it may often breakdown like that.

I offered to smoke some meat and will be doing a pair of pork butts.

Mulling over how large to ask the butcher to cut them.

Probably 8-10lbs, go in and get my order booked next week sometime.

/excited

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
After much internal debate, I just pulled the trigger on the WSM 22". I was leaning towards the 18", but I wanted to be able to lay out full racks of ribs without cutting, rolling, using a rib rack etc. Can't wait to get it and churn out some epic bbq this summer.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
My sister and brother inlaw are hosting 4th of July and dual purposing the party as my niece's 3rd bday party.... she was born 7/3 so I think it may often breakdown like that.

I offered to smoke some meat and will be doing a pair of pork butts.

Mulling over how large to ask the butcher to cut them.

Probably 8-10lbs, go in and get my order booked next week sometime.

/excited
That's the perfect size imo.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
WSM should get here sometime this week. Stoked. Having some people over next weekend, cook some stuff, have some drinks, hang out by the pool, etc. Here's what's on the menu (so far):

- Going to smoke 2 racks of ribs. Dry rubbed, probably 5-6 hrs. Been awhile since I've smoked ribs, really looking forward to it.

- Smoked, bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers.

- Cubing some chicken and marinating it in this for a few days: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BQLLGCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hP7dDb825KST9 . Then skewering and cooking on my trusty old Weber kettle.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol. I just read the last few pages of this and y'all are clowning on @brett05 pretty hard. Funny as shit, but probably a little unfair. I hate his politics, narrow minded religious perspectives, and overall schtick here... but generally speaking outside of recent snafus, the dude seems to know what he's doing behind a grill.

And now I need to take a shower.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are considering pellet I would look at GMG and pit boss.... I have a traeger and they are good, but I think the name has a few dollars tagged onto it.
Love my GMG pellet grill. Makes me a pro every time .

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm a big fan of wings. And while fried wings are pretty great, I also like grilling them, and sometimes smoking them. The following is my go to grilled recipe and process, cooked on my Weber kettle:

1) Get some charcoal going in the chimney.

2) Pile the charcoal in the middle of the grill, and leave a ring on the outside for the wings to not be on direct heat.

3) Cut off tips, and split drums from flats. Pat dry with paper towels. Season, and place in a ring outside the coal pile in the center. My go to seasoning is 2/3rds Everglades Fish & Chicken to about 1/3 Everglades Cactus Dust proportionately. That's a local thing, but I'd guess you can pick it up on Amazon or something. While you're at it, grab some of the original too. It's pretty great on everything.

4) Flip, rotate and move around every 5-10 mins to accommodate for any hot spots on your grill. Sometimes I'll throw some wood chunks on there to give it a more smokey flavor. Usually takes about 25-30 mins to get done, or more depending on how done you want them. Pull when done.

5) Let them cool off a bit and don't cover. The moisture can get them soggy if you do this. Dunk in your sauce of choice and serve immediately. My standard is Frank's + Kerrygold Butter + minced garlic + a little cayenne to add some more heat. But I often mess with other sauces (sometimes glazed at the end) for different flavor combinations. Mango habanero is one of my favorites.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lol. I just read the last few pages of this and y'all are clowning on @brett05 pretty hard. Funny as shit, but probably a little unfair. I hate his politics, narrow minded religious perspectives, and overall schtick here... but generally speaking outside of recent snafus, the dude seems to know what he's doing behind a grill.

And now I need to take a shower.
He bought a 2 lb brisket and stuffed it.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Anyone got a good rib rub they'd like to share? Googling around and found this one, looks decent:

• 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
I'm not so sure on the cinnamon, but most of the people reviewing it said it was really subtle and just adds a little something to the flavor profile, but hard to identify as cinnamon.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure on the cinnamon

I have used cinnamon in a rub before and had no regrets about it, but don't know if taking it away does anything substantial.

As far as rib or any BBQ rub goes:

• 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 cup Kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup garlic powder
  • 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 cup lemon pepper
  • 1/4 cup onion salt or powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 2 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoon celery seeds
  • 1 teaspoon crushed or ground cloves
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Original
You can omit the Mrs Dash or find a substitute if it is not in your kitchen already. The wife has been cooking her chicken with it for so long it could qualify as addiction, but I love what it brought to this Memphis style rub.

EDIT: This lasts me a good six months because I am lazy...you can cut that in half for a more reasonable amount.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have used cinnamon in a rub before and had no regrets about it, but don't know if taking it away does anything substantial.

As far as rib or any BBQ rub goes:

• 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 cup Kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup garlic powder
  • 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 cup lemon pepper
  • 1/4 cup onion salt or powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 2 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoon celery seeds
  • 1 teaspoon crushed or ground cloves
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Original
You can omit the Mrs Dash or find a substitute if it is not in your kitchen already. The wife has been cooking her chicken with it for so long it could qualify as addiction, but I love what it brought to this Memphis style rub.

That looks good, but sounds like it makes a shit ton. How many racks of ribs could you do with that? Like 20?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That looks good, but sounds like it makes a shit ton. How many racks of ribs could you do with that? Like 20?

I edited my post about that. It is my go to rub for a lot of stuff...so I make it in bulk. Right after I hit post...I realized I should mention that lasts me half of the year.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I edited my post about that. It is my go to rub for a lot of stuff...so I make it in bulk. Right after I hit post...I realized I should mention that lasts me half of the year.
Does it last that long if u are using it to make stuffed brisket?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It really is. I made the mistake of not going to the butcher, but Jewel and the biggest I could find was 5 pounds.

I had been buying the vac-sealed Hormel ones at Jewel... found anywhere from 6-9lbs

In the end I like supporting a local butcher shop, and it is nice to be able to just ask them to cut to order.

I actually find the ribs were more of the reason for the switch, though.

When I wanted ribs at Jewel, the one by me was often sold out or the ones I got were sub par quality.

At the butcher I pre-order and get the sizes I want and he usually snags me some real solid cuts of ribs.

Lastly, I don't think Jewel sells any BBQ smoked quality brisket meat... I only found it at my butcher.

I trust him for meat quality, while I trust Jewel for convenience on lots of other stuff.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Found this series on PBS, can watch online for free:

Only just started watching it, seems decent so far.