***Official*** College Basketball Thread (Vol. March Sadness 2020)

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Auburn is red-hot. So now I fully expect them to make 2 3's in the next round.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Duke is a team of destiny! Love the Aurburn win. Cause fuck NC

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Duke is a team of destiny! Love the Aurburn win. Cause fuck NC

That Duke luck is running out soon.....

This might be Izzo's best chance to beat K.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Duke finally loses a tight one. Great game! Free throws have been a problem all year.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And...... DOWN GOES DUKE!

Waetchter

Liked Posts:
Bruce Pearl making the Final Four is appropriate for a year in which everything is a scandal. Calipari has lost his mind. Auburn had only two players who could dribble, pass, or shoot, and Kentucky's 2nd half defense didn't adjust. Defender gets screened, 3 pointer! Defender steps out, blow by layup!

Purdue-Virginia was a great game. I liked how Carsen Edwards was the only guy on Purdue who could make a shot...and he was making them consistently from 35 feet away...so what does Matt Painter do on Purdue's last possession? Have Edwards dribble up court and then pass the ball. These college coaches are great recruiters, but in-game management is atrocious.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bruce Pearl making the Final Four is appropriate for a year in which everything is a scandal. Calipari has lost his mind. Auburn had only two players who could dribble, pass, or shoot, and Kentucky's 2nd half defense didn't adjust. Defender gets screened, 3 pointer! Defender steps out, blow by layup!

Purdue-Virginia was a great game. I liked how Carsen Edwards was the only guy on Purdue who could make a shot...and he was making them consistently from 35 feet away...so what does Matt Painter do on Purdue's last possession? Have Edwards dribble up court and then pass the ball. These college coaches are great recruiters, but in-game management is atrocious.

Felt bad for Purdue. They had that game. All they had to do was make a FT to make it a 4-point game... Then the chances of that happening on a missed free throw.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Every Illini fan is dreading the fact that Pearl is 20minutes away from a title game.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Pearl's end-of-game fouling strategies have never actually worked (Florida SEC conf. tourney, NMST, Kentucky, UVA), yet Auburn somehow won all those games until 'luck' ran out against UVA.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. Virginia did it..

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
ESPN/media so intolerable. Post-game talk all about replay reviews. Weak. I did enjoy the 3-second non-call on TTU in OT just for its obviousness. It was like Buster Douglas getting 16 seconds to get up against Tyson.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a bad game for most of it. Virginia deserved to win..they controlled the majority of the game..yet Tech pissed away a chance to win. Just bad mental lapses on defense in the last 30 seconds of regulation.

The ends of each half were great but most of the game was Virginia hanging onto a 7-9 point lead and Tech hanging around and making two runs.

Tech, for some reason, looked completely disinterested on defense at times. That three they gave up to Hunter to tie the game was just a terrible brain fart. You're up three with 15 seconds. concede the fucking layup don't help with two guys from the weak side and give up a wide open corner three

My real gripe though is with the instant replay stuff. I feel like we are getting away from the spirit of the review. That last review that gave UVA the ball where it grazed off the Tech players pinky after UVA poked it away isn't really the point. I feel like replays should be used in scramble situations etc. Now all of a sudden we have UVA basically slapping the ball out of bounds and because it minutely grazed the Tech players finger it's still UVA's ball. I liken it to almost the neighborhood play at 2b in MLB. No one in the world was thinking "that should be UVA ball" but after 3 minutes of video review and slow mo and grainy footage it's UVA ball. Just kinda losing the intent/spirit of the replay rule I think.

When the refs are going to the monitor and the entire country is thinking "what the fuck are you even looking at" I think we need a more common sense application

I mean, Tech did touch it last..but I don't think situations like that are what replay is trying to correct.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It was a bad game for most of it. Virginia deserved to win..they controlled the majority of the game..yet Tech pissed away a chance to win. Just bad mental lapses on defense in the last 30 seconds of regulation.

The ends of each half were great but most of the game was Virginia hanging onto a 7-9 point lead and Tech hanging around and making two runs.

Tech, for some reason, looked completely disinterested on defense at times. That three they gave up to Hunter to tie the game was just a terrible brain fart. You're up three with 15 seconds. concede the fucking layup don't help with two guys from the weak side and give up a wide open corner three

I thought it was a good game, especially for a Final where there have been some clunkers. I think TT needed to play a little bit better defensively, because Owens and Odiase are incredibly limited offensively. UVA finally figured out they could leave Odiase alone and double Culver on his drives, and then TT stopped scoring in OT.

You are right about the Hunter 3...it was like the guy guarding Jerome had already conceded the layup (unless Jerome would then try a 'floater' and miss, which he did 10 times in the 2nd half), yet Culver frantically left Hunter to contest Jerome. I thought UVA had blown it with the whole timeout/ball out of bounds sequence at the end of regulation. I figured TT would inbound it by the basket, but they passed it into the corner.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought it was a good game, especially for a Final where there have been some clunkers. I think TT needed to play a little bit better defensively, because Owens and Odiase are incredibly limited offensively. UVA finally figured out they could leave Odiase alone and double Culver on his drives, and then TT stopped scoring in OT.

You are right about the Hunter 3...it was like the guy guarding Jerome had already conceded the layup (unless Jerome would then try a 'floater' and miss, which he did 10 times in the 2nd half), yet Culver frantically left Hunter to contest Jerome. I thought UVA had blown it with the whole timeout/ball out of bounds sequence at the end of regulation. I figured TT would inbound it by the basket, but they passed it into the corner.
The game was ok, it could have been worse(given recent history) but I think it's like people finally liking close Super Bowls after a decade of blowouts or shit. The final few minutes of each half helped cover the warts of the rest of the game.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The one I had the problem with was Guy tripping over his own player, traveling, and they called it a foul on TT. I agree it was off TT for the replay.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
UCLA hires Mick Cronin.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Duke picked up two 2019 recruits in 4 days, UNC picked up 2 in a day. Quite the week on Tobacco road.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Nova with 3 in the top 50 (ESPN) with two of those guys in the top 15. Nice haul for Jay Wright.