Official Waiver Trade Discussion

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, would be a nice guy off the bench, can play 3rd & OF. I think he may even have played some 1st

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I have always liked Blake but at this point we need guys that can come in and be team changers. Hoffman brings that veteran presence to the 'pen with 2 guys on the DL and Manny brings an instant bat.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep, Manny will instantly help

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Hoffman could help more then not but I'm not getting to excited.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Yeah, would be a nice guy off the bench, can play 3rd & OF. I think he may even have played some 1st

That sounds a lot like....Mark Teahen. Man, I'm so glad KW decided to buy out his arb years. :rolleyes:

Hoffman could help more then not but I'm not getting to excited.

Going after Hoffman is a bad idea any way you slice it. The most obvious of these slices is that he's been getting torched...in the NL...in the Central Division, with a 1.525 WHIP (31% worse than career average) and 1.71 SO/BB (54% worse than career average). He's also giving up HR's at an alarming rate (for him), with a HR/9 of 1.8, and the years he tends to give up home runs at high rates tend to be his worst seasons.

The Sox nabbing a 42-year old pitcher from the NL who is hemorrhaging bases and HR's and throwing him into an already-weak bullpen in a tight divisional race would be a really bad move.

What's more, Hoffman's contract is an issue, as he has a mutual option for next season at $7 million with a $500K buyout. The thing about that is, though, that option escalates in salary (and buyout amount) for certain milestones in the Games Finished category. He is at 29 GF right now, and the low-end of the GF benchmarks is 35, where the option year salary jumps to $7.5 million and the buyout to $750K, and at 40 GF that salary jumps again to $7.75 million with a $1 million buyout. It goes up from there, with the maximum option salary being $8.5 million with 50+ GF.

Now, at current usage rates, Hoffman would easily clear the first GF benchmark, but since he is being brought in to aid a struggling pen in a tight race, he could very easily come close to maxing-out the escalators on his contract, which would leave the Sox in an even bigger hole for next season, with Jake Peavy, Alex Rios and Edwin Jackson all receiving significant salary increases.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
What's more, if we end up having to give something up to get Hoffman, we have mortgaged our future that much more by sacrificing a young prospect for a veteran rental that hasn't been able to get people out with any great consistency. That's a classic KW move, but it's not a very smart one.

Montanaro

Liked Posts:
yeah, I'm not a fan of the Hoffman thing. He was good, and possibly still could turn it around. But it's unlikely.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
we need a reliever, i doubt we will give up alot for him.

JohnnyDtheSoxFan

Liked Posts:
We needed a starter, we didnt nab Oswalt (like i personally thought would be awesome) and didnt nab Lee. Ok fine. We need a left handed slugger due to lack of production from Jones and Kotsay... ok fine.. we missed out on Blake. Fielder and Dunn. Ok fine.. Its baseball its business .. it happens. Now we have rights to trade for MR. Hmmm.. a cancer some call him.. hey wait, didnt they say that about AJ ?

Now look at him... Great at running a game. Many consider Manny a hard worker with attitude problems. Sounds kinda familiar to club house patrons of White Sox past. Honestly I think Manny will help the Sox the way they are looking to be helped. However, (yeah there was a but comming) the cost is waaay to high. 3.5 mil plus for potentially one month of baseball. Yikes. One announcer even pointed out that would be more than Danks earned all year...sigh... I know my dreams of Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy Oswalt are long gone...

but the need for help in the bullpen is still if not more ever present (Threets) KW has done a good job, and Ozzie has as well..getting a good mix of players and being in contention over many years... I just hope they dont sell out the next 3 years for a half ass atempt at a play off birth this year.
Oh and hi ! Im new here :D

XJS&JAZZ

Liked Posts:
El dirtbaggo

m ramirez is a me only dirtbag of the lowest kind.
This jerk would be a disruptive thing in the clubhouse/dugout.
I would boo it loudly every time it slithered out from under its rock.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
m ramirez is a me only dirtbag of the lowest kind.
This jerk would be a disruptive thing in the clubhouse/dugout.
I would boo it loudly every time it slithered out from under its rock.

Good, while you boo him the rest of us will enjoy the success he will have here.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We needed a starter, we didnt nab Oswalt (like i personally thought would be awesome) and didnt nab Lee. Ok fine. We need a left handed slugger due to lack of production from Jones and Kotsay... ok fine.. we missed out on Blake. Fielder and Dunn. Ok fine.. Its baseball its business .. it happens. Now we have rights to trade for MR. Hmmm.. a cancer some call him.. hey wait, didnt they say that about AJ ?

Now look at him... Great at running a game. Many consider Manny a hard worker with attitude problems. Sounds kinda familiar to club house patrons of White Sox past. Honestly I think Manny will help the Sox the way they are looking to be helped. However, (yeah there was a but comming) the cost is waaay to high. 3.5 mil plus for potentially one month of baseball. Yikes. One announcer even pointed out that would be more than Danks earned all year...sigh... I know my dreams of Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Peavy Oswalt are long gone...

but the need for help in the bullpen is still if not more ever present (Threets) KW has done a good job, and Ozzie has as well..getting a good mix of players and being in contention over many years... I just hope they dont sell out the next 3 years for a half ass atempt at a play off birth this year.
Oh and hi ! Im new here :D

as we did not get oswalt or lee....hows jackson looking so far? couldnt ask for much more out of him.

cancerous players are overrated. there are a small and i mean small amount of players that cant be helped. milton bradley being one of them. manny would be fine here. we took aj, we took everett both were known problems. how did that work out? oh a championship