Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yep, cheap guy spending over 225 million already this year.

Bryant and Baez for certain if they keep producing. Rizzo? Cubs have options on him until he's 32. Not sure if they'll pay big to bring him back. Contreras? Their top prospect is a C so that's no guarantee.

Kinda of agree here. I doubt they give Rizzo a pay off. He might take a retirement deal to be a career Cub. If NYY did it with Jeter I don't think the Cubs are above it. Game is changing so we might start seeing career players again vs largest pay outs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Vs R on Russell. He had a 102 vs L. 72 vs L. This falls under Heyward where you give plus D and avg O it justify the playing time. You win in the end. If you gain on D and lose on O you go nowhere. It null and void the benefits

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Kinda of agree here. I doubt they give Rizzo a pay off. He might take a retirement deal to be a career Cub. If NYY did it with Jeter I don't think the Cubs are above it. Game is changing so we might start seeing career players again vs largest pay outs.

My point about Rizzo was I don't think the Cubs back up the truck for him. If they go through the team options. I could see a possible extension of 4 or 5 years with maybe a "Thank you" pay in the first year of it and then have it taper off with an AAV of 18-20M. Even that might be too much. Just depends on what each side wants.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My point about Rizzo was I don't think the Cubs back up the truck for him. If they go through the team options. I could see a possible extension of 4 or 5 years with maybe a "Thank you" pay in the first year of it and then have it taper off with an AAV of 18-20M. Even that might be too much. Just depends on what each side wants.
They have Rizzo for 2 more years after this if they pick up options, he'll be 32 going into 2022..
If they can get or have a younger solid player to replace him, they should say thank you and goodbye

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They have Rizzo for 2 more years after this if they pick up options, he'll be 32 going into 2022..
If they can get or have a younger solid player to replace him, they should say thank you and goodbye

I'm not sure about that. I could see then offering a 4 100Mil to play as Capt. If he was looking for the payday he would have to go. Bryant IMO would end up there in his 30's.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure about that. I could see then offering a 4 100Mil to play as Capt. If he was looking for the payday he would have to go. Bryant IMO would end up there in his 30's.
That would be a mistake on their part..
Pay a guy 25 per just to be a captain???

Castor76

Liked Posts:

I can see them letting him go or he signs a sweetheart deal to stay a Cubbie for life. If he wants, would you complain if he signed a 5/100 deal that maybe had two more options for say 15M per in those years? Pay him out at 25/20/20/20/15.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I can see them letting him go or he signs a sweetheart deal to stay a Cubbie for life. If he wants, would you complain if he signed a 5/100 deal that maybe had two more options for say 15M per in those years? Pay him out at 25/20/20/20/15.
Yeah if they have or can get a younger just as good or better option that wont be as costly..

Rizzo great and all but I dont care for tying up big money on guys in their 30s if they can get a younger cheaper option that can produce just the same or better

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Yeah if they have or can get a younger just as good or better option that wont be as costly..

Rizzo great and all but I dont care for tying up big money on guys in their 30s if they can get a younger cheaper option that can produce just the same or better

20 isn't big money comparatively. It isn't little money either. But that's a 3 years from no question.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=14106&position=SS&season=2018

30% below league avg wRC+ vs left. You lose production.

Russell gave a 13 DRS. Baez ended up with a 3.

I'm not even sure why this is a thing with you honestly. The facts don't support you opinion.

The facts don't support that he is good enough to be a starting full time SS? Wouldn't that mean there would be 32 in MLB who are better?

I am not arguing he had a great season in 2018. I am saying he should not be platooned.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That would be a mistake on their part..
Pay a guy 25 per just to be a captain???

Considering that he took a underpayment contract it is really making things right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The facts don't support that he is good enough to be a starting full time SS? Wouldn't that mean there would be 32 in MLB who are better?

I am not arguing he had a great season in 2018. I am saying he should not be platooned.

100 wRC+ is league avg production. That comes out to 2 WAR. It is a accurate way to tell if you are getting quality production out of a position or not.

You can make a arguement with Almora vs Happ because Happ gives a negative value in D at CF. So any wRC+ is negated by his inept D. Almora is going plus vs L and nul vs R. So you are at a loss either way and are forced into doing what is best then. Which defaults to score early then hold the lead or push for run support.

That is the real situation. Build to score runs then prevent when you are in a save situation. Russell is perfectly fine with a 100 wRC+ not with a 70. That puts him into run prevent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Reality is Baez give avg D and plus O at SS. Zobrist gets into GG talk at 2B. If it wasn't for Zo being 38 I doubt they would have offered Russell a contract. But all things considered Russell has room for growth as a hitter. But awarding him unmerited innings of work based off a aspect that you are not weak at? You really need a better justification.

Preserving Zo I get.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Reality is Baez give avg D and plus O at SS. Zobrist gets into GG talk at 2B. If it wasn't for Zo being 38 I doubt they would have offered Russell a contract. But all things considered Russell has room for growth as a hitter. But awarding him unmerited innings of work based off a aspect that you are not weak at? You really need a better justification.

Preserving Zo I get.

Average D? What the hell is wrong with you. I get the fact you cannot contain yourself, or put multiple thoughts together since we get yet another three in a row posting from you, but that is more asinine than anything I have ever posted here, and that is saying alot.

He gets to balls that maybe two or three shortstops in the history of the league can get to, which , eventually may lead to an error. Let him start worrying about fielding stats and he will start ole'ing balls like average shortstops do.

It will be a slap in the face to him moving him back to second base when Russell returns.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Considering that he took a underpayment contract it is really making things right.
That would be bad buisness to overpay a guy at age 32 with yrs and money just to "make things right"..

Doing that can keep them from paying someone younger they could need

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Average D? What the hell is wrong with you. I get the fact you cannot contain yourself, or put multiple thoughts together since we get yet another three in a row posting from you, but that is more asinine than anything I have ever posted here, and that is saying alot.

He gets to balls that maybe two or three shortstops in the history of the league can get to, which , eventually may lead to an error. Let him start worrying about fielding stats and he will start ole'ing balls like average shortstops do.

It will be a slap in the face to him moving him back to second base when Russell returns.

As long as his ex does the slapping it is fine.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That would be bad buisness to overpay a guy at age 32 with yrs and money just to "make things right"..

Doing that can keep them from paying someone younger they could need

You are not looking at this from a human perspective at all. Retirement deals have happened for players in the past. Rizzo is a face of the franchise along with Bryant. They will pay unless their production falls off a cliff.

Teams do this all of the time. Take Jeter. Rivera. Ortiz. List goes on. Sometimes a player and a team fit and it is not about the money. I could see a 20 AVV and both sides being fine with it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
As long as his ex does the slapping it is fine.

You are still lost, you are calling BAEZ average D and saying ZOBRIST is GG 2b and now you are into some personal knowledge of Baez having an ex that would slap him?

Baez is the guy that would be in GG talk if he did not run 150 feet trying to get to everything and drop one.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Baez had a 3 DRS. Russell 13 and that was a down year for him. Zo is 38 and will be lucky to get 500PA. So it makes sense to use Russell in a platoon shift to net needed days off towards both Baez and Zo. It just pays off more vs lefties.

If you don't know what DRS stands for look it up in fangraphs glossary. I'll trust you to educate your self this time.