Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think it has any impact whatsoever given they are getting money back to make the move luxury tax neutral but I also don't think it matters because I don't think they want him that much. If they did he'd already be signed.

5:48pm: Los Angeles will take on $3.6MM of Martin’s salary, with the Jays paying the other $16.4MM of what’s still due, per Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca (Twitter link).

Castor76

Liked Posts:
5:48pm: Los Angeles will take on $3.6MM of Martin’s salary, with the Jays paying the other $16.4MM of what’s still due, per Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca (Twitter link).

Damn! That's a "get this guy out of here move."

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Damn! That's a "get this guy out of here move."

They gave up 2 prospects one of who I've heard of. He didn't have a ton of value but they got something for him by eating money they likely don't care about in a rebuilding year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The MLBPA can bitch about it, but they can't actually stop any player from signing for less if they want. Same as an agent can't stop the player.

I mean you're arguing semantics here. It would never happen because it would set a terrible precedent for the PA. As soon as one guy takes a pay cut teams are going to force it upon lots of guys.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I mean you're arguing semantics here. It would never happen because it would set a terrible precedent for the PA. As soon as one guy takes a pay cut teams are going to force it upon lots of guys.

Which is why they can bitch about it and I even understand, but it doesn't stop any one player from doing whatever they think is best for them. The point of most any precedent is that there are outliers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
https://www.bleachernation.com/2019...bs-payroll-after-the-arbitration-settlements/

Cubs most likely gonna go over the last tax tier if they plan on adding a couple relievers...

Might as well get Harper if he wants to come here

Right now they have Chatwood, Cishek, Duensing, Edwards, Kintzler, Montgomery, Strop and Morrow under MLB contract. To add they have to subtract. So this is where trade comes into play or they try to make it work internally. You never know, Chatwood may respond well in a max effort situation where he can simplify his approach and push 2 pitches.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, i'm wondering if it's worth while for the cubs to abandon Alzolay as a starter this year. His fb/cb easily plays now in a bullpen role. And given they don't have much lefty depth, if you put him in that swing starter role they've used Monty in he could learn to develop his change up with some vets(lester/hamels) and one of the best change up throwers in the league(hendricks).

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So, i'm wondering if it's worth while for the cubs to abandon Alzolay as a starter this year. His fb/cb easily plays now in a bullpen role. And given they don't have much lefty depth, if you put him in that swing starter role they've used Monty in he could learn to develop his change up with some vets(lester/hamels) and one of the best change up throwers in the league(hendricks).

Its a matter of principal with me to get a starter developed. There are no pitching jobs to win coming out of spring training without some unforseen deal or injury, we can always expect Morrow to hurt himself tying his shoe. But they need a better answer if Darvish shits the bed again so its probably gonna be smart to keep a starter stretched out in Iowa.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

I mean, at some point the Cubs are going to need to produce their own quality starter from soup to nuts, if for no other reason than to validate their own SP development process.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean, at some point the Cubs are going to need to produce their own quality starter from soup to nuts, if for no other reason than to validate their own SP development process.

I mean Shark started in the bullpen and then moved to a starter. It's not like he can't learn while pitching in relief not to mention if he is in that swing type role he's gonna catch some starts. I'm just thinking here how else are you realistically adding talented arms here? Just feel like if he can help this year you can always stretch him back out next year and he'll have the added benefit of experience in the majors in a less pressure situation coming in as a middle reliever.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Far better talents have started in the pen. To think that he is too good to be used as a pen arm is silly.

I can remember a skinny kid brother in LAD's pen. Sale started in the pen.

So this notion seems absurd. Right now there is no opertunity. If Montgomery was starter quality then they would not have signed Darvish then resigned Cole. If Alozay goes into the pen and shows them that he can get major league talent out on a constant basis then maybe he is ready for the next step.

I try to avoid putting minor league talent on a pedestal. I think we has been spoiled somewhat recently.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I mean Shark started in the bullpen and then moved to a starter. It's not like he can't learn while pitching in relief not to mention if he is in that swing type role he's gonna catch some starts. I'm just thinking here how else are you realistically adding talented arms here? Just feel like if he can help this year you can always stretch him back out next year and he'll have the added benefit of experience in the majors in a less pressure situation coming in as a middle reliever.
If Maddon continues doing what he does with the starters, pulling them after 5/6 innings, then yes why not..

Kid could easily get a bunch of major league innings under his belt

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If Maddon continues doing what he does with the starters, pulling them after 5/6 innings, then yes why not..

Kid could easily get a bunch of major league innings under his belt

Interesting how you lay pulling the starters after 5/6 innings at the feet of Maddon, as if it's abnormal and as if every single other baseball team isn't doing the same thing these days.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was looking more into that Bote idea... this is the current depth chart for SD's starters...

Joey Lucchesi - 2018 ERA/FIP 4.08/4.31
Robbie Erlin - 6.23/3.87
Eric Lauer - 4.34/4.51
Brett Kennedy - 6.75/6.31
Chris Paddack - Really good year in A+ and AA but hasn't pitched above AA where he had 37.2 innings
Dinelson Lamet - Didn't pitch in 2018
Bryan Mitchell - 4.61/5.76
Jacob Nix - 7.02/5.83
Luis Perdomo - 7.38/4.33

Chatwood had a terrible year at 5.16/5.61 ERA/FIP obviously but when you consider the names above... He's probably enough of an improvement to crack their starting 5. And given he's only on a 2 year deal which while shitty for the cubs isn't that expensive, sorta plays well with SD who has Gore and various other prospects like Paddack that need a bit more seasoning. And obviously if you can fix chatwood's command he could be a very nice bargain play.

Anyways, that has me wondering if there is some form of deal where the cubs send Bote and Chatwood plus maybe even something else minor to just clear chatwood for maybe like... a crummy lefty reliever. Obviously the Pads would have to actually want Chatwood but as a cubs fan if they can make that deal even if it's just for cash or a PTBNL type return I think i'm pulling the trigger because I think you could largely get the same type of play out of Trent Giambrone who has a bit more positional flexibility.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Seems the Sox offered a 8 year. Now closer to 200 kinda makes sense. 8 at 30 is 240M