Steve Cishek rhp
2 years/$13M (2018-19)

2 years/$13M (2018-19)
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 12/18/17
18:$6.5M, 19:$6.5M

Pedro Strop rhp
2 years/$11.85M (2017-18), plus 2019 option

2 years/$11.85M (2017-18), plus 2019 club option
signed extension with Chicago Cubs 2/24/17, replacing one-year contract signed 2/11/17
17:$5.5M, 18:$5.85M, 19:$6.25M club option ($0.5M buyout)

Brandon Kintzler rhp
2 years/$10M (2018), plus 2019 options

2 years/$10M (2018), plus 2019 club or player option
re-signed by Washington as a free agent 12/14/17
18:$5M, 19:$10M club option or $5M player option

Brad Brach rhp
1 year/$4.35M (2019), plus 2020 options

1 year/$4.35M (2019), plus 2020 options
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 1/19
19:$M, 20:$M club option or $M player option

Brian Duensing lhp
2 years/$7M (2018-19)

2 years/$7M (2018-19)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 1/22/18
18:$3.5M, 19:$3.5M

Mike Montgomery lhp
1 year/$2.44M (2019)

1 year/$2.44M (2019)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs 1/11/19 (avoided arbitration)

Carl Edwards rhp
1 year/$1.5M (2019)

1 year/$1.5M (2019)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs 1/11/19 (avoided arbitration)

Xavier Cedeno lhp
1 year/$0.9M (2019)

1 year/$0.9M (2019)
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 2/13/19 (non-guaranteed)
may earn additional $0.3M in performance bonuses

Tony Barnette rhp
1 year/$0.75M (2019), plus 2020 option

1 year/$0.75M (2019), plus 2020 club option
signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 2/1/19
19:$0.75M, 20:$3M club option
’19 salary increases to $1M with 1 day on active Major League roster

Kyle Ryan lhp
1 year/$0.555M (2019)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
From what Joe said he is going with a fluid method. So if the 8th is the hook inning then he wants his stopper in at that moment. Which is Strop. So he said he feels comfortable with Cishek and Brach starting the 9th as they have previous closer work.

So I see it as the locks are Strop, Cishek, Edwards and Brach. The other 4 are most likely cash commitment related.

So Chatwood is not going to be offed the roster. I just don't ever see them doing that.
Montgomery is also a lock.

Leaves Kintzler and Duesing.

Xavier Cedeno was not given as guaranteed deal. He is there to push Duesing. Also Montgomery has a shoulder issue so this may end up working it self out anyways.
Kintzler IMO is gone regardless. When Morrow returns. Tony Barnette was a weird signing but .75M is not a major issue if he shuttles back and forth from Iowa. I'm pretty sure that Kintzler is given a opportunity to F/A and he sits on the shuttle.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
There's a good chance you have to deal with injuries and this will sort itself out but I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs do something like keep Darvish on the DL through the first week and then sort it out. I could see Chatwood being the long guy and might even sneak him in as a fifth starter for a start and let Yu stretch out in Iowa where he starts the first game (4/4) and then on regular rest (4/9) and then makes his Cubs debut 4/14 at home against the Angels.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There's a good chance you have to deal with injuries and this will sort itself out but I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs do something like keep Darvish on the DL through the first week and then sort it out. I could see Chatwood being the long guy and might even sneak him in as a fifth starter for a start and let Yu stretch out in Iowa where he starts the first game (4/4) and then on regular rest (4/9) and then makes his Cubs debut 4/14 at home against the Angels.

I honestly think Montgomery may end up the delay. That actually makes Chatwood invaluable as a long relief.

I really just don't see Chatwood as having a chance at starting this year. And to be honest he doesn't deserve it after last year. So, sorry but alas no. Sure the financial commitment buys a roster spot and him performing and not acting like a spoiled bitch would go well in maybe getting Cole's rotation slot in 2020. But Montgomery is ahead of him right now and any injury defaults to him. If he is healthy. He has far more right to it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Darvish is already pitching full speed and ready to go with a ton of confidence..
Their not gonna put him on the DL with a mysterious injury and set him back

The starting 5 is set

Barring an injury that would force them to keep Chatwood on the roster, I can see them showcasing him and trading him near the end of ST if he performs decent

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Darvish is already pitching full speed and ready to go with a ton of confidence..
Their not gonna put him on the DL with a mysterious injury and set him back

The starting 5 is set

Barring an injury that would force them to keep Chatwood on the roster, I can see them showcasing him and trading him near the end of ST if he performs decent

I agree but with the starters in April pretty much being 5 inning pitchers a guy like Chatwood who could piggy back 4 innings goes a long way in keeping the pen from imploding.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would be tempted to keep Bote at AAA and carry a extra arm in April. Keep Bote on regular play and ready for injury. The pen is just going to get used more in April in general. Pitchers usually take 5 starts to build up in spring to even get into the 5th much less getting past it.

I'm pretty sure that a 9 man pen is more likely

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I agree but with the starters in April pretty much being 5 inning pitchers a guy like Chatwood who could piggy back 4 innings goes a long way in keeping the pen from imploding.
If all 5 starters only go 5 innings in all their starts in April, the team in trouble

Plus

Even if that happens, Chatwood would only be available to go his 4 innings if he last that long once every 5 days
So, it doesn't help the pen much

Chatwood has no spot on the roster unless one of the starters or Montgomery goes on the DL

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If all 5 starters only go 5 innings in all their starts in April, the team in trouble

Plus

Even if that happens, Chatwood would only be available to go his 4 innings if he last that long once every 5 days
So, it doesn't help the pen much

Chatwood has no spot on the roster unless one of the starters or Montgomery goes on the DL

It is more regular than not. The rain outs distract the attention

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And 24 mil left on his contract says he does have a spot on the roster. No team eats that amount

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
the almighty madden said chatwood is throwing the ball really well this spring.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
they called Nico a 2B man on the cubs own site, but there are so many "force the cubs hand" articles out there for this year, yet another ? about blocking players with Decalso since he can play SS.
Assuming Baez stays the SS for next few years, Nico spot in majors would be 2B, maybe as early as next season

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Ademan did struggle at A+ and is 20 now. .207/.271/.293 doesn't scream promotion. Slowing him down might be a bit wise here.
Nico is 21 and pushed .327/.450/.571 through 3 levels pre injury.

I'm thinking that the normal time stamp for these high profile college bats with the Cubs is 3 stops year 1 then year 2 AA. Nico's injury delayed the 3rd stop but they pushed him to AZL which has never happened before in a year 1 player. That is a year 2 stop for the Cubs path.

So the whole projection seems legit and is backed by history. Ademan is falling into Almora's path where his age gives the ability to push the pause button to let him adjust.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Assuming Baez stays the SS for next few years, Nico spot in majors would be 2B, maybe as early as next season

I would think that they would keep him at SS as long as possible.

Happ was squawking on taking reps at 2b. I think that he is smelling opportunity. Joe is saying he needs to work on his back hand and moving to his right. I guess that he is antiquate but not smooth out at 2B.

Also the vibe is Russell is the SS from what is being reported.

So I wouldn't project anything with Nico. I really believe that management's vision only goes as far as today. What happens dictated direction verses any crystal ball shenanigans

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So I wouldn't project anything with Nico. I really believe that management's vision only goes as far as today. What happens dictated direction verses any crystal ball shenanigans

I had to look at who posted this a few times..lol
Yep, it the guy or girl who constantly posts his predictions on here..

If Russell still with the Cubs come August, I wont make a single post the whole month

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I had to look at who posted this a few times..lol
Yep, it the guy or girl who constantly posts his predictions on here..

If Russell still with the Cubs come August, I wont make a single post the whole month

From the Trib

2. Ian Happ making a push to start at second base.

Ian Happ took grounders at second base this weekend and informed Maddon he wants to be an option there.

“He’s still a work in progress,” Maddon said of Happ. “We’d like him to be a little smoother, but he’s effective.”

Happ wanted to play second base shortly after he was signed by the Cubs in 2015 but played only two games there in 2018. Maddon believes Happ can improve his range to his right and in making backhanded stops. Maddon added that Happ’s strong arm helps him.

“He’s not the Spalding Guide all the time, but he’s pretty effective out there,” Maddon said. “It’s just repetition.”

Maddon said there are no plans to move Addison Russell from shortstop.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Normally I post opinions that I have researched vs ass pull. But you do you.