OT: Mike Mayock named Raiders GM

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
His name has been linked to different GM jobs for a long time.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He choose Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Kind of glad I won’t have to hear his shit on draft day anymore. Was like he couldn’t be critical of anyone anymore.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This confirms it aesopian will one day be bears gm lol

Luke

Liked Posts:
His name has been linked to different GM jobs for a long time.

Didn't he turn down the Raiders job in the past, maybe when Al was there? DJ has to be a happy camper.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I for one am kind of interested to see one of the "draft gurus" step in a GM role and take his swings.

I mean that is what you really want out of your GM, the ability to draft. Free agents are a big part as well but you have NFL tape on those guys so the evaluation is much less of a guess.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Raiders are trolling the nfl world hiring a bunch of commentators to perform real jobs.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Good for him, he was on TV because he was good at reviewing film, but I agree he became too much of a positive spin on every single pick. He never came out and said, that was a stupid pick, he would say things like, "this is puzzling, but....." then go into a positive spin on what the guy does well.

I sure him and Chucky have worked together, so it makes sense.

I wonder who will become the next draft guru for NFL Network?

Luke

Liked Posts:
I would assume DJ will take over.

baredown

Liked Posts:
The M in GM is Manager. Mayock's job won't be to evaluate players, it will be to run an organization responsible for player evaluation. Those are two very different things. And since Gruden apparently has final say on draft & roster decisions, Mayock doesn't even get to (re)assemble the Raiders talent base. Maybe this was Mayock's only real opportunity to break into an NFL front office position, but I don't see this working out very well, either for him or the Raiders. On the other hand, if the result is that the Bears end up with #33 in the 2020 draft, I fully endorse this move...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good for him, he was on TV because he was good at reviewing film, but I agree he became too much of a positive spin on every single pick. He never came out and said, that was a stupid pick, he would say things like, "this is puzzling, but....." then go into a positive spin on what the guy does well.

I sure him and Chucky have worked together, so it makes sense.

I wonder who will become the next draft guru for NFL Network?

But he wasn't. His draft positions and mocks always sucked until he spoke to real scouts to get info leaked before the draft. I liked him best of the TV prognosticators but meh.

Here's his 2017 2.0 QB rankings before getting some inside scoop. This is well after the combine.

1. DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame
2. Deshaun Watson, Clemson
3. Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina
4. Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech
5. Davis Webb, California

Mike Mayock said drafting any of these quarterbacks in the top 10 would scare him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The M in GM is Manager. Mayock's job won't be to evaluate players, it will be to run an organization responsible for player evaluation. Those are two very different things. And since Gruden apparently has final say on draft & roster decisions, Mayock doesn't even get to (re)assemble the Raiders talent base. Maybe this was Mayock's only real opportunity to break into an NFL front office position, but I don't see this working out very well, either for him or the Raiders. On the other hand, if the result is that the Bears end up with #33 in the 2020 draft, I fully endorse this move...

For someone that has made his rep based on the draft, that seems a poor hire.